User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 14:30   #1
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough
scheduled shutdown of XP

Can anyone tell me how to schedule a proper shutdown of my computer, which has and XP OS?

The start > turn off computer > turn off way works fine, but if I do it using the "shutdown -s" command, with which I can schedule a shut down of my computer after a certain length of time, it gets to this stage where monitor displays "it is now safe to shut down windows" which I haven't seen since the days of windows 95, and the fan of the computer just carries on whirrling away.

Is there anyway I can schedule a complete shutdown of my computer, so I can, say, make it play music for a couple of hours when I'm in bed then automatically shuts down after I'm asleep?
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 15:46   #2
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
its easy to do a "scheduled shutdown of XP" just set ur alarm for when u want it to turn off, go to ur computer and hit it with a big hammer
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 15:52   #3
Azaghal

Azaghal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: scheduled shutdown of XP

Quote:
Originally posted by Seed of Chaos
bla
I don't know if it can be done from inside XP, but I do know there is an app around named 'autoshutdown', which does the trick.
Azaghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 16:05   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
does scheduled tasks not work?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 17:25   #5
Timmeh

You could of course just write a small script that executed "rundll32.dll /shutdown" or whatever the command is and then set scheduled tasks to run it at a specific time.

Alternatively, as a small extension to this, you could do it all in VB and create an 'alarm clock' style program which will allow you to set a time and date which your PC will shut down at.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 22:26   #6
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by clarencetheclockworkcake
not possile with xp.

i had the same problem,and i will check when i get home.
google is your friend,unless your lazy. then you have non.
it is possible with xp

i have 3 programs that do it

im just lazy to email it to him..

or .. u could try the software board at SA, they have a huge list of apps for when u format ur pc, and a link has a small app to it..
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:39   #7
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
what i meant to say was its not possible to do it with sceduled tasks. my bad.

how kind am i?

scroll down to poweroff 3,0,0,15 and get.
does work with xp,and can be used for the purpose you want.
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 23:47   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Fkssake - why does NOBODY ever read the manual?
There is a shutdown command (a-la linux but different syntax) in XP you know.

Add this to scheduled tasks and set for the relevant time:
shutdown -s -f -t 30 -c "Scheduled shutdown. Run 'shutdown -a' to abort."

explanation:
shutdown: take a guess
-s: execute a shutdown
-f: kill any applications without warning
-t 30: display warning dialog for 30 seconds before shutdown
-c <message>: not too hard to work out i hope

The things I do for you lot...

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 02:16   #9
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Quote:
The start > turn off computer > turn off way works fine, but if I do it using the "shutdown -s" command, with which I can schedule a shut down of my computer after a certain length of time, it gets to this stage where monitor displays "it is now safe to shut down windows" which I haven't seen since the days of windows 95, and the fan of the computer just carries on whirrling away.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Fkssake - why does NOBODY ever read the manual?
There is a shutdown command (a-la linux but different syntax) in XP you know.

Add this to scheduled tasks and set for the relevant time:
shutdown -s -f -t 30 -c "Scheduled shutdown. Run 'shutdown -a' to abort."
apparently he tried that
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 02:23   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
using -f fixed that on mine for some bizzare reason.

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 14:02   #11
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough
doesn't killing all applications without warning cause system instability or something?
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 14:58   #12
Cocaine

Quote:
doesn't killing all applications without warning cause system instability or something?
if the machine has been shutdown, how can it be unstable ? :P
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 15:04   #13
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

it'll be unstable the next time I log on?
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 15:27   #14
Androme

Target: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -m \\mypc -t 0 -c shutdown

Replace the 0 with whatever no. (mins) - well this is what I use with Alt + Ctrl + End (:
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 15:30   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

no - there's a difference between processes being 'killed' by the OS and you just turning the machine off.
When a process is killed, it is unloaded as fast possible but in a safe way - so if word was open, handles to any open files you had would be released, and THEN word would be closed. This does not, of course, save your work which is why you have to be careful with -f.
If you just turn the machine off, open file handles, registry connections, OBDC/COM links and all that lot are never terminated properly and you risk corrupting something.

Having said that, it's has never happened to me - I've turned this thing straight off in frustration before, and everything's ok still.
XP + NTFS = quite a resiliant combination.

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 15:32   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Ehj, I have a problem with the shutdown of my win2k server too
My win9x turns off the power itself but my win2k stops at the screen "it's now safe to turn of your computer". How can I make it turn off the power itself?
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 17:25   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Make sure you have power management set to ACPI. Not sure if that's your problem but it worked for me when XP wouldn't power down
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:10   #18
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

the -f command did nothing for me

How do I get to the power management bit?
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:21   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

If you have ACPI enabled you'll probably be able to suspend your system etc.
If it's not, you need to look about in the BIOS to enable it.

Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:44   #20
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

and how do I get to the bios part?
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 17:28   #21
Androme

Quote:
and how do I get to the bios part?
as soon as you power on your system, keep pressing the "Del" key every second until it appears (most systems it's AMIBIOS but you can have Phoenix and others)
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 17:35   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme

as soon as you power on your system, keep pressing the "Del" key every second until it appears (most systems it's AMIBIOS but you can have Phoenix and others)
on my old P2 you had to press the F2 button.... It took me quite a while to figure that out because the BIOS data, usually show on startup, which includes the key you should press to get into the BIOS was replaced by an Intel Logo.
Stupid Intel MoBo's....
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 15:28   #23
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

wohoo! The program worked. Thanks clarencetheclockworkorange