User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Dec 2005, 03:40   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
small specific things people do that completely define who they are

Throwing a cigarette butt out of a vehicle. Throwing a cigarette butt anywhere that's not a trashcan from any place, especially a balcony or window. That would automatically qualify him or her as a malefactor, and automatically disqualify him or her from my friendship or even any sincere friendliness from me for life.

I'll try to think of a positive one too.

Sorry Pig I deleted the other thread because I miswrote the title and you can't edit that.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 03:41   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: small specific things people do that completely define who they are

I'd rather see people throwing it on the ground than in a trashcan so it gets on fire
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 04:27   #3
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dont understand why throwing a fag on the floor defines who you are, and why you would judge people by that.

In Britain lets face it, its ****ing dirty. Maybe thats the reason why people get less offended by litter etc and why if someone drops some no one gives a toss.

I remember in zurich, that there was no litter at all. Why loads of bins and a different approach to the environment.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 04:48   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I dont understand why throwing a fag on the floor defines who you are, and why you would judge people by that.

In Britain lets face it, its ****ing dirty. Maybe thats the reason why people get less offended by litter etc and why if someone drops some no one gives a toss.

I remember in zurich, that there was no litter at all. Why loads of bins and a different approach to the environment.
It's just such a terrible disregard and disrespect for other people, your community, and yes, for the environment. If you regard your country, the place of your birth, the sacred ground where your ancestors are buried, the land for which they have bled, as a nothing more than a rubbish bin, then yes, that very much defines who you are in my eyes. A cigarette butt is such a dirty thing.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 04:50   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with the opening post, although I'm not overly concerned with cigarette butts per se, they're quite small and I presume degradable. But rubbish in general bothers me. I remember being in a car when I was small, with some family members and one of their friends. Someone upon finishing a crisp packet, rolled down their window and calmly threw it out the window of the moving car.

I was only about 8 at the time, but I was suddenly conscious (although I couldn't really explain why) that the person that had done that was utter, utter scum.

The thing is, I'm not an overly tidy person as you may have gathered. My room is messy to the point that there are food containers in here that are at least a month old, in some cases. I don't even really notice it, it's just ocassionally someone will come into the room and have a vaguely sickened expression on their face from the smell. I don't mind living in, effectively, filth. But that's in private areas where it is my home. Even in quasi-communal areas like shared areas of a house I don't mind being a mess (to put it mildly) because there is a very strong social bond between everyone in my house and there is an understanding at work which moderates people's behaviour.

But litter....well, I ocassionally see someone dropping litter on the street or on the bus and I still sometimes wince. It's not the mess, or the dirt, or anything like that. It's an act which can only be described as "anti-social" or "selfish" but those are inadequate terms really for what I'm getting at. It's just an utter act of contempt for other human beings.

Even ignoring this, there's an economic angle to rubbish. If you drop litter, you are dramatically increasing the chances of other pieces of litter being dropped. This type of "group think" is quite interesting, but you can observe it in most places. The body I work for has responsibility to clean rubbish dumped on our land (which is quite a lot, given the common walkways of estates, etc) and without fail if someone "fly tips" a bunch of stuff somewhere, within a very short period of time other people will put other things on top / nearby it. Or kids set it on fire. Either way, it rapidly becomes very expensive to deal with (and a H&S risk) and this expense generally falls on the people who can afford to pay least. The cost of removing rubbish by us for instance goes back to the residents of our affected estates. Bus passengers have to pay to clean up bus services. These are not generally priviliged groups.

Yes, Britain is a bit dirty, especially our major cities. I have been told so many times that London is "dirty". Well, maybe (although I reject it's particularly dirty by international standards) and yes there are problems : lack of litter bins in high profile sites due to the threat of terror, etc. But that's not an excuse. The fact things are pretty bad does not give us the excuse to willfully make things worse. I don't give a shit (in 99% of cases) if there's no bin around. Carry it with you, ffs - don't pass the cost onto the commons just because you can't be arsed to carry a can of coke with you a few yards down the street.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 05:04   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I agree with the opening post, although I'm not overly concerned with cigarette butts per se, they're quite small and I presume degradable.
No, they are not biodegradable:
http://www.cigarettelitter.org/index.asp?PageName=Facts

Quote:
The biggest myth is that cigarette filters are biodegradable. In fact, cigarette butts are not biodegradable in the sense that most people think of the word. The acetate (plastic) filters can take many years to decompose. Smokers may not realize that their actions have such a lasting, negative impact on the environment.
http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/cigb...degradable.htm
Quote:
Most cigarette filters are composed of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic. The white fibers you see in a cigarette filter are NOT cotton, but a plastic that can persist in the environment as long as other forms of plastic.
And even it were biodegradable, it wouldn't change a thing, they're ****ing dirty. I'm sure urine doesn't hurt the environment, but if you piss on the street, I'll still think you're a bastard. (Unless you're homeless and have no other alternative.)
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 05:10   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
And even it were biodegradable, it wouldn't change a thing, they're ****ing dirty. I'm sure urine doesn't hurt the environment, but if you piss on the street, I'll still think you're a bastard. (Unless you're homeless and have no other alternative.)
I stand corrected on the degradability issue. It's not like I thought that was OK, it's just cigarette butts in particularly don't catch my ire - even small pieces of paper being dropped on the street / bus annoys me quite a lot. To be honest, it may be because the time it annoys me most is when I'm on public transport, and you're not allowed to smoke there anyway (so I probably faily unlikely to notice it). I don't know many people who smoke too.

But yeah, I agree with you. Although uriniating on the street....that depends. Not just whether you're homeless, but whether there's a realistic chance of you being able to get to a toilet "in time". Most people could easily exstinguish their cigarette on their shoe (or whatever) and then carry the butt until they got to a bin or their home. You can't necessarily not piss until you reach a toilet, so it's slightly different (although if you're just cheerfully choosing to piss on the street that's a different matter)
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 05:13   #8
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
(although if you're just cheerfully choosing to piss on the street that's a different matter)
Yes I meant that, there are tons of public toilets in the areas of the US where I lived in, still I knew people who pissed wherever they pleased.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 10:52   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
It's just such a terrible disregard and disrespect for other people, your community, and yes, for the environment. If you regard your country, the place of your birth, the sacred ground where your ancestors are buried, the land for which they have bled, as a nothing more than a rubbish bin, then yes, that very much defines who you are in my eyes. A cigarette butt is such a dirty thing.
I don't smoke but now I wish I did just so I could litter and we could get into a holy war over it

PS I've urinated on the streets, although mainly out of 'necessity'. Occasionally I'd throw orange peel on the ground (in a bush) because carrying it around for twenty five minutes until I reach the first bin is really not my idea of fun.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 12:20   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I apparently do this hand thing when confused or vexed or basically feeling any emotion at all. Not dissimilar to The Claw in Liar Liar but with more pointing.

Seriously that's... that's about it.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 12:58   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Photos plz
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 14:08   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I could make some kind of animated gif when I get back to Scotland
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 14:49   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Yes I meant that, there are tons of public toilets in the areas of the US where I lived in, still I knew people who pissed wherever they pleased.
In eastern Europe they charge you to use the toilets. Then they wonder why it smells of piss everywhere.
I have now developed the saying "that smells like eastern europe"

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 18:41   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, I agree. There ARE things which say a lot about a person for good or evil.

Things like........oh, for instance............letting someone wank you off in public. Now that would be a character defining event. I will not commit myself to whether this would be something to be admired or abhored.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 19:44   #15
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Yes, I agree. There ARE things which say a lot about a person for good or evil.

Things like........oh, for instance............letting someone wank you off in public. Now that would be a character defining event. I will not commit myself to whether this would be something to be admired or abhored.

The details of the event make it more definining. Lets not forget the presence of friends/collegaues and boyfriends. These are all important.

As for charachter defining traits. Middle lane drivers. Men who wear hats in cars (whether it be a flatcap (hahah old and slow) or baseball cap (haha young and rudeboy ricer twat))

People dropping litter pisses me off. People letting their kids drop litter from a car pisses me off.

However i have thrown chewing gum out the car window (where the hell do you put it if you dont have the wrapper? and also Apples.

so infact i hate myself
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 20:05   #16
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

what's a ricer twat
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 20:18   #17
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
what's a ricer twat
somebody who modifies cars so that they look like they go faster according to the asian tradition. go on, see if you can work out the etymology.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 20:35   #18
Cannon_Fodder

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

I'm even more confused now
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 20:45   #19
s|k
Caveat Lector

I take serious offense to the term 'ricer twat.' It's despicable and racist.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 21:01   #20
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
in fairness, there isn't really any kind of racist overtone, it's just a weak pun (boy racer/rice).
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 21:18   #21
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k

get over yourself one day please
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 21:35   #22
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
in fairness, there isn't really any kind of racist overtone, it's just a weak pun (boy racer/rice).
Yes there is a racist overtone. You're associating Asian with rice. It's just as racist as any pun that would associate black with watermelons or Mexican with burritos.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 22:32   #23
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Or Italian with pizza or French with baguettes/cheese or Russians with vodka?

It's not racist, because there's no actual discrimination. It's like calling a person of African origin black - is that automatically racist?
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 22:40   #24
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Or Italian with pizza or French with baguettes/cheese or Russians with vodka?
Italians, French, and Russians aren't historically colonized, oppressed people. They were not slaves or forced into labor on southern plantations, forced into horrible conditions and immigrant labor in the southwest, lived in squalid conditions and worked under brutal exploitative rules on Hawaiian sugar plantations, or were put into interment camps during World War II. French, Italians, and Russians do not have to face instititionalized discrimination and benefit from white privilege. I can go on with many, many other examples, most of which I'm sure you're already aware of.

Quote:
It's not racist, because there's no actual discrimination. It's like calling a person of African origin black - is that automatically racist?
I'm not going to begin a lecture on racism, but as always it's pleasently refreshing to see how immediately ignorant most white people are when it comes to issues of race and minority oppression.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 22:59   #25
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

s|k, I have a better knowledge than most of racism and discrimination, whether it's of blacks, asians or any other minority. I am fully aware of the oppression that has occurred throughout the last few centuries.

However, I think you're having a knee-jerk reaction to a fairly harmless description. I realise that we must be careful of slipping back into what for simplicity I'll describe as the 'old ways', but I see no intention to do so here.

s|k, you seem to want to give particular preference to one discriminated group as opposed to another. I've never seen you complain when the British posters moan about the 'chav scum' - the underclass of our country. There's been plenty of nasty things written about them. But as soon as you bring ethnicity into things, we must suddenly dive under the banner of political correctness.

An English comedienne who is a Muslim started her act a few months after 9/11 with the line "My name is Shazia Mirza. At least, that's what it says on my pilot's licence". Aside from the tragedy that was 9/11, was she being racist (for the lack of a better word) against Muslims for doing so? You suggest that she is.

I think you have good intentions, s|k, but they're unwarrented here.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 23:05   #26
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
s|k, I have a better knowledge than most of racism and discrimination, whether it's of blacks, asians or any other minority. I am fully aware of the oppression that has occurred throughout the last few centuries.

However, I think you're having a knee-jerk reaction to a fairly harmless description. I realise that we must be careful of slipping back into what for simplicity I'll describe as the 'old ways', but I see no intention to do so here.

s|k, you seem to want to give particular preference to one discriminated group as opposed to another. I've never seen you complain when the British posters moan about the 'chav scum' - the underclass of our country. There's been plenty of nasty things written about them. But as soon as you bring ethnicity into things, we must suddenly dive under the banner of political correctness.

An English comedienne who is a Muslim started her act a few months after 9/11 with the line "My name is Shazia Mirza. At least, that's what it says on my pilot's licence". Aside from the tragedy that was 9/11, was she being racist (for the lack of a better word) against Muslims for doing so? You suggest that she is.

I think you have good intentions, s|k, but they're unwarrented here.
I'm sorry you're so completely ignorant, I am. I wish there was cure for it that didn't require self-motivation, I really do.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 23:07   #27
furball

s|k, try resorting to argument if you want to convince me that I'm wrong. Condesending blanket statements will get you nowhere.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 23:14   #28
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
s|k, try resorting to argument if you want to convince me that I'm wrong. Condesending blanket statements will get you nowhere.
Why? It's no use. I had typed something up, but then I just deleted it. Like I said, it requires 'self-motivation.'
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 23:35   #29
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

s|k, who are you upset at? JJ for his typographical error or Phang for the joke of trying to make JJ look like a racist?

You have to remember that we are dealing with a lot of limeys, krauts, cheeseheads and kipper krunchers on this site.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 00:06   #30
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

It wan't a typo, they're actually called ricers.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 00:24   #31
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

as usual s|k is being an over-reactionary drama queen. By the looks of things, he's trying to make up for the lack of Yahwe
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 00:30   #32
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Yes there is a racist overtone. You're associating Asian with rice. It's just as racist as any pun that would associate black with watermelons or Mexican with burritos.
I can understand if you're angry for JJ saying 'ricer twat' since adding twat "might" imply some sort of racism.

But I associate bangladeshi's with fish and indian people's homes with curry houses and to be honest, they don't get angry about. However if I say "you ****ing fish" to a bangladeshi, I'm implying some sort of racism.

This is the reason we can't make jokes these days. It's because of this political correctness bullshit.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 00:58   #33
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
This is the reason we can't make jokes these days. It's because of this political correctness bullshit.
I'm glad that jokes aren't made based on crude stereotypes of racial differences because of fear of poltical attacks. If that's the only thing that can keep people in check. There's a lot of hate and fear that are attached to the undercurrents of these attempts at lightheartedness. There's nothing funny at all about it. I'm absolutely mesmorized by the ability and the willingess of people to simply assume that decades and centuries of horrible exploitation, genocide, and segregation simply vanished off of the face of the Earth because of the 60's civil rights movement. Are mere 50 years later we're all willing to run around and throw these things around because it's all associated with an impossible past that is imagined to have no bearing on the contemporary world. It's as if it is assumed that human beings themselves were magically transformed in the western world into these angels of racial enlightenment who do no wrong and never mean the things they say anymore about others who are different. Yes let's joke around! Two generations of (imagined) racial equality is a long time, we can safely assume that everythings okay and nothing bad is happening today.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 01:27   #34
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Italians, French, and Russians aren't historically colonized, oppressed people. They were not slaves or forced into labor on southern plantations, forced into horrible conditions and immigrant labor in the southwest, lived in squalid conditions and worked under brutal exploitative rules on Hawaiian sugar plantations, or were put into interment camps during World War II. French, Italians, and Russians do not have to face instititionalized discrimination and benefit from white privilege. I can go on with many, many other examples, most of which I'm sure you're already aware of.
what on earth does that have to do with stereotypes about russians drinking vodka and asians eating rice? you know, on account of how rice is the staple crop in most of east and south asia and constitutes a large part of the average diet there, and how vodka is the popular byproduct of the staple crop in Russia.

Actually, I'm trying to explain things with pigeon steps here, when the more looming question of 'why is it only racist if its about a previously oppressed group?' needs answered first.

seriously s|k i think you should stop posting in threads where you get to divulge opinions
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 01:43   #35
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

Discrimination? We're treating them like we'd treat any other culture, making stereotypes, and maybe even laughing at them sometimes. How in the hell is that discrimination?

To me, they're just another bunch of people with stereotypical behaviour, just like anyone else. You insist that because they've been oppressed in the past by someone completely different - not by us - but by someone else, that they need to be treated differently. Is it because the fact they've been oppressed before tells you that there is something intrinsically 'oppressable' about these cultures? That they are not as good as the rest of us, and so people are of course going to rip the piss out of them every opportunity they get? Give them some respect - by insisting that these cultures are in their nature too fragile to be joked about, YOU are the one who is discriminating against them.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 01:47   #36
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

In all fairness, there are probably nicer things to call people. It's no worse than 'chav', though.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 01:49   #37
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
I'm not going to begin a lecture on racism, but as always it's pleasently refreshing to see how immediately ignorant most white people are when it comes to issues of race and minority oppression.
DO NOT MAKE GENERALIZATIONS ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE YOU ****ING RACIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:00   #38
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Discrimination? We're treating them like we'd treat any other culture, making stereotypes, and maybe even laughing at them sometimes. How in the hell is that discrimination?

To me, they're just another bunch of people with stereotypical behaviour, just like anyone else. You insist that because they've been oppressed in the past by someone completely different - not by us - but by someone else, that they need to be treated differently. Is it because the fact they've been oppressed before tells you that there is something intrinsically 'oppressable' about these cultures? That they are not as good as the rest of us, and so people are of course going to rip the piss out of them every opportunity they get? Give them some respect - by insisting that these cultures are in their nature too fragile to be joked about, YOU are the one who is discriminating against them.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:12   #39
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Russians.. aren't historically oppressed people.
what

Quote:
They were not slaves or forced into labor on southern plantations, forced into horrible conditions and immigrant labor in the southwest, lived in squalid conditions and worked under brutal exploitative rules on Hawaiian sugar plantations, or were put into interment camps during World War II.
No seriously, what?

edit: How are the Japanese and Chinese more 'historically oppressed' than the Irish?

Last edited by Nodrog; 29 Dec 2005 at 02:17.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:16   #40
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
DO NOT MAKE GENERALIZATIONS ABOUT WHITE PEOPLE YOU ****ING RACIST PIECE OF SHIT.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jennifer again. .
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:32   #41
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
what on earth does that have to do with stereotypes about russians drinking vodka and asians eating rice? you know, on account of how rice is the staple crop in most of east and south asia and constitutes a large part of the average diet there, and how vodka is the popular byproduct of the staple crop in Russia.

Actually, I'm trying to explain things with pigeon steps here, when the more looming question of 'why is it only racist if its about a previously oppressed group?' needs answered first.

seriously s|k i think you should stop posting in threads where you get to divulge opinions
Seriously I don't need your well meant suggestions.

I'm not being overly dramatic as some of you believe. If I were to jump up and down and scream and throw my hands in the air and link you to web pages with large fonts and blinking tags I still wouldn't be too dramatic. I feel that when it comes to this issue that there is never too much energy and emphasis that is used to illustrate issues of racism.

I'm not going to justify my comments anymore than I have. Russians and French aren't spread out across the world in a diaspora like people of Asian and African ancestry, the legacy of racism that permeated literature and government policies and even academics (classifications on races labeled 'mongoloid' and 'negroid') and the economic disparity that exists in Asia and western countries (with a few notable exceptions on this last point). Russia is a nation, France is a nation, Italy is nation, Asia is not a nation. It's a large geographic area populated with various different people and just for you have to compared a French person to an Asian person illustrated your ignorance on the subject. Chinese aren't Japanese, Vietnamese aren't Thai or Cambodian, and Asians aren't all the same. The fact that rice is a staple in Asian countries doesn't justify the massive lumping together of such diverse body of people. If you can't see how the combination 'rice' and 'twat' in the context of a history of racism can be offensive to someone who is married to a Japanese national and is the recipient of comments such as 'yellow fever' (yes that's been said to me by a coworker) or 'rice king' and has to listen about general negative stereotypes about his wife and wife's family on almost daily basis from within my own family, then there's not a lot I can say to you that will change your mind.

And if you think that I should lighten up maybe you should read:
this
see this
read this
read this
read this
read this
and this
and this

Oh wow your joke seems really funny now!

And hey, check this out!

Code:
nodrog queball, you are a moderator
nodrog change s|k's custom title to a gollywog and make the text underneath it say "******, ******, ******"
queball nodrog you are a superlativor :)
queball ****** is censored
s|k what you actually tried?
nodrog 'better black than kike' will do then
Crivens kike ?
queball apparently i don't have permission to change user details
queball i could ban him?
If anyone wants to know what the starred out word is you can check that here
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:50   #42
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually, s|k has a fair point, I've seen similar things happen down in London. For instance, theres this guy called Lee on my uni course who comes from China. One day, me, him, and a few other guys were up at my flat doing coursework, and we got a bit hungry so I offered to cook some food. However when I checked my kitchen cupboard I found that I had pretty much nothing, so I asked Lee to pop out to the Tesco's across the road and get me some supplies. After 10 minutes he still hadnt come back, so I tried phoning his mobile but there was no answer. We assumed that something had come up and he'd had to go home, so we just ignored our hunger and got on with the work. Anyway, by 10pm, we'd managed to finish pretty much everything so the other guys decided to go home and I had to let them out the flat. I put my shoes on and opened the front door, and then Lee jumped out from behind the corner and screamed "supplies!!".
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 02:53   #43
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

'rice' and 'twat' were not part of the same clause. the subject was a)a twat, who was also described as b)a rudeboy and c)a ricer.

i'm sorry that you get racism heaped on you in your life, but that doesn't make me feel disinclined to say that firstly, you are wrong to suppose that nationalism is somehow more acceptable than racism, or secondly, that mentioning that 'hey man asia eats a lot of rice' is racist, or that thirdly, by being asian or african you are somehow excepted from being called a twat based on your actions. See, telling us that we're racist because we treat black or asian culture with the same thinly-veiled contempt that we adopt when dealing with most western culture is not the best way to give your opinion credibility.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 03:16   #44
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
But he's white. How's that racist?

Or have I misunderstood something?
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 12:43   #45
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

are you saying white people can't be anti white?

Also, this thread started badly, got worse, and has gone all the way round and become good, somehow...
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 13:18   #46
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Lot's of words have a less than glorious origin. A Slashdot post once made the point that the term "gyp" (as in swindle/con/unfair - e.g. "What a gyp!") probably comes from the term "gypsy" and as such is a racist term. But it's lost that connotation now. When someone says "gyp" they undoubtedly aren't attempting to be racist about the Roma.

Similarly "Ricer" in the context of cars, as I understand it, applies to all different kinds of people who make modifications to their cars, not just Asians. Sure the term originated from a clear source, but when people use it, are they being racist about Asians? I wouldn't think so.

Anyway, how far back do you want to take this? I've heard it said I shouldn't use term "barbaric" because that was a racist term used by the Greeks to describe foriegners. How much of our language do you want to purge due to it's origins?

Also :
Quote:
I'm glad that jokes aren't made based on crude stereotypes of racial differences because of fear of poltical attacks. If that's the only thing that can keep people in check.
The problem here is that it doesn't stop people making jokes (or generally being racist). At the very most it stops making jokes in public, or more probably - in mixed company. In South Africa, as I have recounted before, I was with my girlfriend and we had just watched 'Gladiator'. I remarked on leaving the cinema that it was a typical Hollywood movie, even though it was set 2000 years ago they still had to have the main character have a black sidekick. My girlfriend was mortified and didn't respond. When we got back to the car she explained there were some black people behind us and I shouldn't joke about things like that. Since this was fairly early on in the relationship I just presumed she was uber-PC. But then we got home and later that day (or later on, I forget now) her family calmly discussed how disappointing it was that AIDS wasn't killing "kaffirs" (i.e. blacks) quickly enough.

If people are going to be racist (and generally, from experience, they are) - I'd prefer if it was out in the open where it can at least be challenged or held up to some sort of rational standard. Hysteria is rarely helpful in politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
But he's white. How's that racist?
As Henry has implied, you can be racist about your own group of people. In fact, I'd say it's usually possible to seperate the sentence from who said it and still (generally) be able to judge how racist it is.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 17:09   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Considering the absence of objective reality I think it should be pretty clear to all of us that s|k's just trolling and we don't really need to pay him any attention.
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 17:25   #48
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Trolling implies he is aware that he is wrong, and I don't think he is aware.

It's understandable that racism is an issue s|k feels strongly about, considering the attitudes of his family and co-workers. It's unfortunate that he has directed his anger at the wrong people over the misunderstanding of a little known or used slang term though.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 19:25   #49
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
As Henry has implied, you can be racist about your own group of people. In fact, I'd say it's usually possible to seperate the sentence from who said it and still (generally) be able to judge how racist it is.
A bit like if I call my fellow black people "My ******"......?
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 19:31   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

I think we're going to have to disqualify blastoderm from being black as it really makes these sorts of things far too awkward.