User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:37   #1
Thefoundation

Thefoundation is infamous around these partsThefoundation is infamous around these parts
Religion and the truth

I just read a version of shakespears hamlet. it started with a paragraph how many things in old English could be misinterpreted. And that a lot of the printings had miscopies. I seen a program about Nostradamus, (old fortune teller) How the parts of the text where miscopied by printers. Just remove a letter, miss a space bar. And old or ancient words have a very different meaning.

the bibble was completed between 300-650
the koran was completed between 700-1000

So we can truly say we should inter-per books from the 13th and 17th century, but people live, and even go to war for way older books. Can anyone explain this?

Last edited by Thefoundation; 16 Sep 2006 at 00:50.
Thefoundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:38   #2
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Religion and the truth

and the point of this is...
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:42   #3
Thefoundation

Thefoundation is infamous around these partsThefoundation is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
and the point of this is...
people state that hamlet and nostradamus his work is very unstable, and misinterperted. As a fact.
While a lot of people state way older books as facts, which influence there lives greatly

this is wrong
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:45   #4
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefoundation
Just a red aversion of Spear's ham. Let it start with a parp! How many things in a cold dish could be misinterpreted. Sad that a lot of the printings had Miss Copes. I seen a program about Nostrils (bold rune teller). How is sex where miscopied by printers? Just remove a better, Miss A. Spacbar. And old or ancient floors have a very different leaning.
Sorry, not sure I understand you.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:48   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I just read a version of shakespears hamlet. it started with a paragraph how many things in old English could be misinterpreted. And that a lot of the printings had miss copies. I seen a program about Nostradamus, (old fortune teller) How the parts of the text where miscopied by printers. Just remove a letter, miss a space bar. And old or ancient words have a very different meaning.

So we can truly say we should inter-per books from the 13th and 17th century, but people live, and even go to war for way older books. Can anyone explain this?
I'm not sure that any man can explain what you want to say.

EDIT: now i am not happy with the red blobs i see by your name. I do think that you need to know more about history. but then so do a lot here.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 00:58   #6
Thefoundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I'm not sure that any man can explain what you want to say.

EDIT: now i am not happy with the red blobs i see by your name. I do think that you need to know more about history. but then so do a lot here.
I need to know more?

There are 2 things i stated, not in perfect english. But the best i can come up with at this time. Now i stated 2 books that so called experts call "many different meanings, without a clear awnser what the writer was trying to say" (just like my late nigth strange questions topics like these)
Then i named 2 books that around 50% of the world; lives and act by, and truelly believe. I also stated the times these books where writen. Now we can proof scientificly that the first 2 books arnt fact based due to different copies of the book. Then why do so many people believe these so called holy books? why are there so many problems due to these books? which propably arnt the real intentions of the writers.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 01:04   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I need to know more?

There are 2 things i stated, not in perfect english. But the best i can come up with at this time. Now i stated 2 books that so called experts call "many different meanings, without a clear awnser what the writer was trying to say" (just like my late nigth strange questions topics like these)
Then i named 2 books that around 50% of the world; lives and act by, and truelly believe. I also stated the times these books where writen. Now we can proof scientificly that the first 2 books arnt fact based due to different copies of the book. Then why do so many people believe these so called holy books? why are there so many problems due to these books? which propably arnt the real intentions of the writers.
what would joshua bar joseph say

WWJBJS
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 02:10   #8
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
I just read a version of shakespears hamlet. it started with a paragraph how many things in old English could be misinterpreted. And that a lot of the printings had miscopies. I seen a program about Nostradamus, (old fortune teller) How the parts of the text where miscopied by printers. Just remove a letter, miss a space bar. And old or ancient words have a very different meaning.

You need to take a nap.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 02:36   #9
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:

Well in terms of accuracy I can't speak to the Koran, but they have complete texts of some of the books of the Bible (Isaih specifically) that are dated to 1200 BC and historians believe they were likely written by the origional authors. When those texts are compaired to the modern versions the only significant differences are the ones you mentioned, spaces, minor gramatical issues (missing the's ands, ors, ect) which in no way change the overall message. In addition they have plenty of manuscripts of the new testiment dating to within a generation of the origional texts. All of the texts of the New Testiment were written before 100 AD, and they have manuscripts of from within 100 years of the origional for most of them. So while there is never 100% certanty in these matters of all of the ancient texts the texts of the bible have the most evidence for their accuracy. For example there are only 7 'source' texts for Homer's Illiad that can be dated to a reasonably close date to the origional but by and large scollars agree that we have an accurate version of the story Homer told.

As to why people follow any religous text, but then use it to justify evil acts, that has far more to do with evil people then it does with any particular religous texts (with the exception of cults that teach evil as good). The simple fact of the matter is people will use any means they can to justify their evil actions, even to twist and distort 'good' beliefs to justify their actions.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 03:11   #10
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

sorry Monroe - there are massive interpretation errors in the bible.

Just compare the difference between the King James bible and the more recent editions - some of the passages read very differently.

Seeing as the OT has many different authors, and was written over 1000 years, it's understandable that there are translation errors.

Which makes the fact that some people take the English version literally even more laughable.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 05:02   #11
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
sorry Monroe - there are massive interpretation errors in the bible.
I have heard many people claim this but never had seen anyone prove it. There are many passages that apear to be in contridiction on a quick reading of the english, but on careful study of the Hebrew or Greek the issues have been resolved. I took a class in college taught by an aithest on the old testement as literature and the first day he challenged anyone in the class to find an contridiction in the text and over the course of the semester no one could find a single error that couldn't be reasonably explained with a proper understanding of the hebrew or the context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Just compare the difference between the King James bible and the more recent editions - some of the passages read very differently.
This has mostly to do with translation, and of course there are people who write their own versions which are not literal translations, or are altered to fit their personal beliefs, in which case I would agree with your main point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Which makes the fact that some people take the English version literally even more laughable.
I would agree with this in the sense that any time you deal with a translation (of any text) you have to be very careful with what you take literaly and what you do not.

#strategy
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 07:16   #12
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I've even noticed differences between an English and Dutch translation of the bible
and since in latin certain words are mixed into one, it only seems logical that alot of things are translated quite freely

If you can translate it better feel free to publish your own holy book tho

EDIT: to add to the fun, the old Testament was written in Hebrew and Aramaic and the New Testament in Greek

Last edited by Alessio; 16 Sep 2006 at 07:48.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 12:05   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
I have heard many people claim this but never had seen anyone prove it. There are many passages that apear to be in contridiction on a quick reading of the english, but on careful study of the Hebrew or Greek the issues have been resolved. I took a class in college taught by an aithest on the old testement as literature and the first day he challenged anyone in the class to find an contridiction in the text and over the course of the semester no one could find a single error that couldn't be reasonably explained with a proper understanding of the hebrew or the context.
Deuteronomy 25:5 and Leviticus 20:21

It appears that no one in your class was particularly hard working or bright.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 12:42   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's called Fundamentalism (or Evangelicalismas Christians prefer to call it when refering to themselves, to distance themselves from the proper religious nutters) .

I was watching a documentary about fundamentalism in the five major religions. One of the Christians said something along the lines of 'if you start questioning which bits of the Bible are true or not then you just pick make your own religion. Either it's all true or none of it is. that is why I believe in Genesis.'
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 12:46   #15
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
In addition they have plenty of manuscripts of the new testiment dating to within a generation of the origional texts. All of the texts of the New Testiment were written before 100 AD, and they have manuscripts of from within 100 years of the origional for most of them. So while there is never 100% certanty in these matters of all of the ancient texts the texts of the bible have the most evidence for their accuracy.
From what little I can remember from the documentary 'Who wrote the Bible?' there are several differing versions of certain stories existing today and these were moulded to create a version which has bits of each. this is hardly conclusive proof of the truth of the Bible.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:04   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm going to have to echo T&F's comments here : Looking for mistranslations or possible misinterpretations in the Bible seems to be missing the point somewhat. The main claims of most holy books are so patently absurd it's not like we have to look for spelling mistakes when considering their weaknesses.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:07   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Trying to ad hominem a book which purports to contain records of events which defied the laws of physics is pretty cool but a slight waste of time guys.

I echoed an echo of an echo but it's okay because my summation was way funkier.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:34   #18
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Trying to ad hominem a book
"you may give an accurate account of the civil war but your cover is purple" ?

EDIT: and i'm not entirely sure that like the rest of you I want to live in a world where libraries are full of nothing but physics text books and all other forms of scholarship are looked down upon.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:45   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
"you may give an accurate account of the civil war but your cover is purple" ?

EDIT: and i'm not entirely sure that like the rest of you I want to live in a world where libraries are full of nothing but physics text books and all other forms of scholarship are looked down upon.
Did you just claim the bible is a piece of scholarly research?
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:45   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Did you just claim the bible is a piece of scholarly research?
no

but i did point out that you can't 'ad hominem a book'
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:50   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
no

but i did point out that you can't 'ad hominem a book'
This book was written by biased people/people who weren't present at the time ergo it's incorrect. Obviously you're not actually ad homineming the actual inanimate object in question but anyone pointing that out would have to be some spectacular pedant.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 13:59   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
This book was written by biased people/people who weren't present at the time ergo it's incorrect.
I don't see how your conclusion naturally follows from your proposal

Quote:
Obviously you're not actually ad homineming the actual inanimate object in question but anyone pointing that out would have to be some spectacular pedant.
I have not been doing anything even remotely close to an ad hominem argument; hence I reserve the right to defend myself.

Frankly after misusing 'ergo' and 'ad hominem' I'd abandon using latin at all if I were you
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 15:28   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Obviously when he points out logical fallacies he should make particular care to make the conclusion follow naturally from the proposal.

Having said that, I shouldn't have bothered to reply to this seriously as the post is just a trolling abuse of english.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 15:39   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't, it's an ad hominem. That was my point.

Quote:
I have not been doing anything even remotely close to an ad hominem argument; hence I reserve the right to defend myself.

Frankly after misusing 'ergo' and 'ad hominem' I'd abandon using latin at all if I were you
The "you" was general, not specific. Your wilful misunderstanding of me while quite charming is really unnecessarily prolonging the life-span of this thread.

In extended form, my point was this.

1) Certain people here are moving towards the argument that the bible is irrelevant because there are many differing interpretations which are due to such things as the bible being written many years after the events it claims to describe.
2) This is untrue because the bible being written many years after the events it claims to describe does not mean these events did not in fact occur.
3) In fact a much better counter-argument to the events described in the bible being true is that some of them defy the laws of physics.

Oh joyous rapture!
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 16:54   #25
Monroe

Quote:
Deuteronomy 25:5 and Leviticus 20:21

It appears that no one in your class was particularly hard working or bright.
And you prove my point 100%. When those two verses are taken out of context they do indeed apear to be incontridiction. But when you look at the context of those two verses they are not in contridiction in the least. The verse in Deut is about when the husband is dead, the verse in Lev is about while the husband is still alive and you are therefor comitting adultry, which is against the bibles teaching. Cheers.

I really don't intend to get into a defense of the bible arguement either, I just like offering other perspectives on things. The only real good arguement I've heard so far is from JonnyBGood about the bible defying the laws of physics. There are plenty of good and interesting arguements both for and against the truth of the bible. In the end it is up to you to make your own choice about the validity of any spiritual text. My only challenge to this group is to do your own research and to not to rely totally on the words of others, or what you see on TV. While these sources are sometimes right, other times they are most certainly wrong. Only by careful and honest study can the truth be determined.

#strategy

Last edited by Monroe; 16 Sep 2006 at 17:00.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 17:02   #26
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
It doesn't, it's an ad hominem. That was my point.
i can only assume that we are speaking different languages.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 17:03   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
And you prove my point 100%. When you look at the context of those two verses they are not in contridiction in the least. The verse in Deut is about when the husband is dead, the verse in Lev is about while the husband is still alive and you are therefor comitting adultry, which is against the bibles teaching. Cheers.
http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ml#good_to_all

I especially liked "Is it folly to be wise or not?", "Which first--beasts or man?" and "Righteous live?"

"Do you answer a fool?" is pretty cool as well considering the fact the contradictory phrases are right next to each other.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 17:04   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
i can only assume that we are speaking different languages.
Not really dude, I just typed out that sentence as a summation of a point explicitly and implicitly referred to earlier in this thread (although not by you).
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 17:13   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
And you prove my point 100%. When those two verses are taken out of context they do indeed apear to be incontridiction. But when you look at the context of those two verses they are not in contridiction in the least. The verse in Deut is about when the husband is dead, the verse in Lev is about while the husband is still alive and you are therefor comitting adultry, which is against the bibles teaching. Cheers.
Well, apart from being an exercise in disingenuous PR, that simply is not true.

Dueteronomy
3 "When brothers live together and one of them dies without a son, the widow of the deceased shall not marry anyone outside the family; but her husband's brother shall go to her and perform the duty of a brother-in-law by marrying her.

Leviticus
20:21 And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.

Leviticus applies regardless of the brother being dead or alive. It is an absolute prohibition.

The reason these verses are irreconcilable is because they are two different codes of laws written at different times dealing with entirely different socio-economic situations.

I admire your suicidally courageous audacity in claiming that the two verses of the bible which split the Western world and lead to the deaths of thousands are now suddenly reconcilable. However your glib point is unconvincing, naive and incorrect.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 19:26   #30
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
If the Bible were without any discrepancies, you'd be like, "man, it's soooo faked", and now we've discovered God works in mysterious ways you're like, "dude, it's got mistakes". I'm not going to go through the entirely banal list; I'm not even going to attempt to address the numerous things in favour of the Bible as a historical record.
Let's all stop before someone mentions Hitler*, shall we?

*Damn.
the arrogance of your type of christian is galling.

I see no reason why the bible being full of contradictions should effect someone's faith.

HOWEVER it is full of contradictions and it is offensive in the extreme to pretend that it is not or dismiss the fact that it is when people legitimately point it out.

I'm sure that Jehova will happilly admit it in heaven
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 19:30   #31
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
If the Bible were without any discrepancies, you'd be like, "man, it's soooo faked", and now we've discovered God works in mysterious ways you're like, "dude, it's got mistakes". I'm not going to go through the entirely banal list; I'm not even going to attempt to address the numerous things in favour of the Bible as a historical record.
Let's all stop before someone mentions Hitler*, shall we?

*Damn.
That wasn't really anyone's point but okay. The point is that basing codes of law or moral systems on "the bible" is just silly because you'll end up with many contradictions in your system. Of course nobody saying it's impossible to be a Christian or anything remotely of the like. Of course the bible probably has many parts of authentic history in it (or close enough as to make little difference) but the errors and internal contradictions would show that it is probably not a divinely inspired document or infallible.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 16 Sep 2006 at 19:35.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:31   #32
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

the bible isnt a history book its a collection of stories written by those who could write after hearing stories handed down thro a fair few generations, was written initially in 100AD (.. you were lucky to reach 50 in those days)

it was a guide thro story of how to lead a better life, few people read it way back then, it was read aloud, and how those who read the stories interpreted and translated those stories lead to the changes.

some monks - dunno when, rearranged our calendar a few hundred years ago and got the math wrong, so basing any dates in it now has to be done on the old timeline then add some years.

if you have ever read the witnessstatements of two people in the same place watching an accident and wondered if they were watching the same thing ... now base that on the stories that are written in the bible, ofc there are errors.

it doesnt make it a bad book, but imo people should realise that to live a life to religous text without wavering should not be done.
As a general guide, used as an example .. not a diagram of how to live, it stands up pretty well.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:33   #33
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I was not being arrogant. I was simply pointing out that this is a silly way to spend our time. Read some books if you care about making an informed decision. There's a long tradition of systematic theology and concordance. I'm perfectly happy for you to waste your time here, but why bother? I'm never going to take your average prit-sticked together www.atheist.com argument very seriously. It annoys me, of course, but it's not in the least persuasive.
your egocentrism aside I have a perfectly adequate collection of theology here in my flat.

You however are no scholar.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:53   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
I mean, duh. Neither Jews nor Christians are slaughtering rams (as far as I know); nor are we exhanging sheep as sin-offerings; nor are we repaying our debts in pigeons, or in doves, or in handfuls of grain; we do not adhere to laws concerning mildew on clothing or in houses; nor do we observe the duties set out for the Levite Clan of Kohath; nor do we follow the Levite Census ETC BLOODY ETC.
So ...

If you are not basing your moral syatem on the teachings of a digest of self contradictory and absurd rules, does it not follow that you basing it on something external to the bible?

And does it not follow from that that as a moral guide the bible is essentially useless?
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:54   #35
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
So ...

If you are not basing your moral syatem on the teachings of a digest of self contradictory and absurd rules, does it not follow that you basing it on something external to the bible?

And does it not follow from that that as a moral guide the bible is essentially useless?
Suffice it to say that no it does not. Think Ten Commandments, Beatitudes.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 20:58   #36
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
It seems that you are no scholar either.
Come come my young friend. If we read correctly your now oddly missing posts (thankfully presered by my quoting them) we must see the following:

1) the bible is self contradictory
2) the bible contains rules you ignore
3) in order to ignore some but not others you must be making a judgement
4) that judgement is based on something outside the bible
5) you don't need the bible
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:03   #37
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Come come my young friend. If we read correctly your now oddly missing posts (thankfully presered by my quoting them) we must see the following:

1) the bible is self contradictory
2) the bible contains rules you ignore
3) in order to ignore some but not others you must be making a judgement
4) that judgement is based on something outside the bible
5) you don't need the bible
EDIT LOOK AT THIS EDIT: 1) Incorrect. However I'm not going to say why because I haven't got time.
2) is correct.
3) is correct.
4) is incorrect.
5) is incorrect.

PS. Sorry for deleting my posts. I thought they were unhelpful as I cannot be bothered to spend time on them to clarify what I mean. Frankly, I'd only get neg-repped if I did.

Last edited by Boogster; 16 Sep 2006 at 21:15.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:05   #38
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

what inside the bible, new or old testament, makes you think you can openly flaunt many of the rules contained within it?
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:05   #39
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Boogster, does God love you?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:06   #40
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
what inside the bible, new or old testament, makes you think you can openly flaunt many of the rules contained within it?
blah blah this guy called jesus you might have heard of him blah blah
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:07   #41
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
Boogster, does God love you?
Only after I sacrifice 8 bulls.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:11   #42
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

If God is so great why didn't he write his book himself?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:14   #43
Boogster
I dunno...

Because Moses asked kindly.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:24   #44
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Why replace your old posts with shit?

You were so close to making a few good points, but you didn't
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:31   #45
Boogster
I dunno...

Just got a bit infuriated. Not an uncommon occurrence in discussions such as these, I'm afraid.
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 21:46   #46
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Bible is riddled with repetitions and contradictions, things that the Bible bangers would be quick to point out in anything that they want to criticize. For instance, Genesis 1 and 2 disagree about the order in which things are created, and how satisfied God is about the results of his labors. The flood story is really two interwoven stories that contradict each other on how many of each kind of animal are to be brought into the Ark -- is it one pair each or seven pairs each of the "clean" ones? The Gospel of John disagrees with the other three Gospels on the activities of Jesus Christ (how long had he stayed in Jerusalem -- a couple of days or a whole year?) and all four Gospels contradict each other on the details of Jesus Christ's last moments and resurrection. The Gospels of Matthew and Luke contradict each other on the genealogy of Jesus Christ' father; though both agree that Joseph was not his real father. Repetitions and contradictions are understandable for a hodgepodge collection of documents, but not for some carefully constructed treatise, reflecting a well-thought-out plan.

Of the various methods I've seen to "explain" these:
1. "That is to be taken metaphorically" In other words, what is written is not what is meant. I find this entertaining, especially for those who decide what ISN'T to be taken as other than the absolute WORD OF GOD - which just happens to agree with the particular thing they happen to want...

2. "There was more there than...." This is used when one verse says "there was a" and another says "there was b", so they decide there was "a" AND "b" -which is said nowhere. This makes them happy, since it doesn't say there WASN'T "a+b". But it doesn't say there was "a+b+litle green martians". This is often the same crowd that insists theirs is the ONLY possible interpretation (i.e. only "a") and the only way. I find it entertaining they they don't mind adding to verses.

3. "It has to be understood in context" I find this amusing because it comes from the same crowd that likes to push likewise extracted verses that support their particular view. Often it is just one of the verses in the contradictory set is suppose to be taken as THE TRUTH when if you add more to it it suddenly becomes "out of context". How many of you have goten JUST John 3:16 (taken out of all context) thrown up at you?

4. "there was just a copying/writing error" This is sometimes called a "transcription error", as in where one number was meant and an incorrect one was copied down. Or that what was "quoted" wasn't really what was said, but just what the author thought was said when he thought it was said. And that's right - I'm not disagreeing with events, I'm disagreeing with what is WRITTEN. Which is apparently agreed that it is incorrect. This is an amusing misdirection to the problem that the bible itself is wrong.

5. "That is a miracle". Naturally. That is why it is stated as fact.

6. "God works in mysterious ways" A useful dodge when the speaker doesn't understand the conflict between what the bible SAYS and what they WISH it said.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 22:40   #47
Alessio
deserves a medal

I don't see the bible contradicting itself that much, almost everything is about respecting eachother
Even those 'contradicting' examples about taking care of your brothers wife

The only reason that I don't believe is that it contradicts to much with reality
I shall give a few examples..

It's not so much the stories itself that I doubt but the basic idea of a 'caring' god, while it doesn't shows
And setting certain rules that go against human nature

We 'are' killing machines, and we are build for sex, make no mistake about it
We are fkin monkey's for crying out loud, why can't we simply shag a stranger senseless
According to the bible we are not even allowed to grab a neutral object because someone else tagged it
"That stone is mine, don't touch or you will go to hell"
I don't even understand why god wants some people to put glasses on their heads to make them see like their supposed to
Does that add a certain flavour to their lives that is needed in their test?

It doesn't makes much sense to me

Yes, I don't know what started all this, how earth was created, or what the deal is with the big bang if that even happened
but my lack of knowledge doesn't justify believing in a good god
A god that tests the creations that he created himself, and gave a predestined path, directly or indirectly
A god that even tests religious old people by letting them live like a plant in pain and suffering for 20 years, before dieing an weeklong painfull death
In a state where they cannot affect anything, but somehow will make them regret their non existant sins

God works in mysterious ways?
What is 20 years of pain and suffering when they get an eternity of [something] afterwards?

Sorry, my logic fails me here, but if god exists he will surely forgive my ignorance, caused by the inferior brain that he gave me
I don't think even the pope can explain this god thingy to me
I know that I will have to think towards 'free will' and 'selfless love' if I want to understand it
Feel free to try and explain all this if you think your know something I don't

Last edited by Alessio; 16 Sep 2006 at 23:40.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2006, 23:46   #48
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
blah blah this guy called jesus you might have heard of him blah blah
you wrote this reply in response to this question:

Quote:
how on earth can you claim to know anything about this guy called jesus from any source other than the bible???

vampire lestat's question was a good one and you have not answered it (nor have you answered my original point)

you can not treat logic as a help yourself buffet
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 01:21   #49
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

I have been spending way too much time fighting with my wife. A juicy little Bible discussion is going on and my brand of illogical nonsense nowhere to be seen. Going to have to change that.

The Bible must be taken literally provided you have the context and the translation right. The reason most of the Bible does not make sense to most reasoning people is because many of the events that happened are supernatural or “Of God” and therefore do not fit the man made molds of science and logic.

A comedian once said “the Bible has got a lot of wine drinking and then a bunch of stuff you just can’t believe, and usually the wine drinking comes right before the unbelievable stuff.”

If you don’t want to believe the Bible then don’t. If you want to debunk the Bible then best of luck to you. Neither the average believer or Christian Scholars can be convinced that the Bible is not mostly true. The reason I say mostly is because not all of it either can be proven or disproven or has not been found to be proven yet.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 01:25   #50
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
The Bible must be taken literally provided you have the context and the translation right.
and who is in charge of that context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
The reason most of the Bible does not make sense to most reasoning people is because many of the events that happened are supernatural or “Of God” and therefore do not fit the man made molds of science and logic.
it does not make sense because it self contradicts. miracles are as nothing to that.