User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 04:31   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Guide to Windows XP Themes and Skins

Right. After posting a jpg link to my desktop asking for suggestions what should be added etc ive had people PM me asking 'how do i skin xp'

SOOOOOO i thought 'i know ill write a simple guide'

Im not a 'professional'
I dont profess to be any good whatsoever but im fairly happy with the results ive got so far...

so here it all is in easy to follow steps...

STEP 1

Download StyleXP for free from http://www.tgtsoft.com and install.

STEP 2

Head on over either to http://www.deskmod.com or http://www.themexp.org and browse some of the themes they have available. Download the one you want and follow the instructions to install.

Ive had minor problems with themes downoaded so what ive done is use style xp to install them. Double click the taskbar icon for it and itll show you "install new theme" then point it at the ZIP file youve downloaded and itll do the rest.

OKEY DOKE

If your happy with the theme youve installed then fine. Just stop reading here. However if you wish to customise further then read on.

STEP 3

Now you have chosen a theme and installed it you may wish to add a rather funky calender thing onto the desktop. IT can be moved about and just shows the current date. You can place reminders etc etc. Head on over to http://www.iki.fi/rainy and download RainLender.
It adds an 'extra something' to the desktop.

Now, again you have a choice. Windows by default will allow you to place a toolbar at the top of the screen where you can drag and drop in things like My Computer, Network Neighbourhood and any other desktop icons you might want 'at the top'.

To do this you need to drag 'My computer' to a space where there are no icons below it to the very top of the screen. This will create a toolbar which you then have a whole multitude of right click options on..

http://users.aber.ac.uk/jat2/desktop.JPG

this is a screenshot of the windows taskbar at the top with Large icons enabled (Display Properties -> Appearance -> Effects -> Large Icons....then right click the taskbar and enable large icons there too)

The screenshot above also has some other 'extra' stuff added which ill come onto later.

RIGHT. If your happy with that then skip to lower down and dont read the next 'step'

THE NEXT STEP (STEP 4)

If your unhappy with the horrible windows taskbar crap with its ****e background thing behind the icons and would prefer something more stylish (e.g. http://users.aber.ac.uk/jat2/desktop2.JPG) read on....

Basically there is a Beta program called YzDock which can be found at http://yz.designtechnika.com/softwar.../index_en.html

Download that and then head over too http://www.deskmod.com/?show=showcat&cat_name=yzdock and download some icon packs. Place them in the Yzdock icon directory. Perform the same procedure as above by dragging and dropping the shorcuts (both system and programs) into the YzDock thing. Follow the FAQ if your completely stuck but eventually youll get it looking like the desktop2.jpg pic above.
Then choose where on the screen you want to position the thing.

To remove all the crap on the dekstop right click then hit 'arrange icons by' and untick 'show desktop icons' (afterall you dont need them anymore because all the ones you use are in YzDock)

The icons must be .PNG btw (just as a side note)...

STEP 5

Right, to get the 'computer' stats thing you will need CoolMon which can be found at http://www.arsware.org/coolmon/

Use their forums to look for some scripts but atm im using....

<C:$ff9933>.::</c> <b>SYSTEM INFO</B> <C:$ff9933>::.</c>
UPTIME : <NAME=Uptime FORMAT="*d* days, *H* hrs, *M* mins" SIZE=20>
Proc % : <C:yellow><NAME=ProcUsage LEADZERO SIZE=2 FORMAT="ALL"></C>
Processes : <c:yellow><NAME=Processes SIZE=5></c>

<C:$ff9933>.::</c> <b>MEMORY</b> <C:$ff9933>::.</c>
TOTAL: <NAME=RAMTotal> MB <NAME=PageTotal> MB
USED : <C:$8080FF><NAME=RAMUsed></c> MB <NAME=PageTotal> MB
FREE : <C:$40FF00><NAME=RAMFree></C> MB <NAME=PageFree> MB

<C:$ff9933>.::</c> <b>DISK SPACE</b> <C:$ff9933>::.</c>
C:\ : <C:$ff9933><NAME=DriveSpace SIZE=2 FORMAT="C FREE"></C> MB FREE <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\Program Files\CoolMon\drivespace.txt,5 "> - <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="C:\Program Files\CoolMon\drivespace.txt,4">

<C:$ff9933>.::</c> <b>NETWORK</b> <C:$ff9933>::.</c>
IP : <NAME=IPAddr>
DOWNSTREAM : <C:$ff9933><NAME=NetRead LEADZERO DECIMAL SIZE=5 FORMAT="ALL"> KB/s<C:$999999></c>
UPSTEAM : <NAME=NetWrite LEADZERO DECIMAL SIZE=5 FORMAT="ALL"> KB/s<C:$999999>
DOWNLOAD : <NAME=NetSumRead LEADZERO DECIMAL SIZE=5 FORMAT="ALL" DIV=1024> MB<C:$999999>
UPLOAD : <NAME=NetSumWrite LEADZERO DECIMAL SIZE=5 FORMAT="ALL" DIV=1024> MB<C:$999999>

Just right click the taskbar icon and hit 'display items' then paste that in. Im sure youll want to change and do more stuff tho.

STEP 6

This is tricky so you might not want to even attempt it. I did and just disabled it all....

Right this is where DHTML Programming is rather helpful and something i havnt done and only experimented with. Within WinXp there is something called 'Active Desktop' Which allows for you to display websites on your desktop. Rather handy bur also looks rather crappy.

However the good people at...http://ad.rb-338.com have made an 'addon' which allows you to create transparent windows and do all sorts of fancy editing. What you need to do is click 'Display Properties' then hit Desktop. Then Customise Desktop then hit the 'web tab'. In there hit 'new' and point it at the index.html file that came with the ActiveDesktop Download from that ad.rb-338 site above. You need to maximise this window on your desktop so the 'active desktop window' fills the screen. At the top left there should be a little ">". Click it and change the background image to the one that came with the style you chose and then play with the 'box' settings pointing them at pages you have created. The possiblities of this little piece of software are quite extraordinary.

check out...

http://site.techviet.com/nooga/misc/...mydesktop2.jpg

and

http://www.smoovep.com/images/desktop.jpg

for examples.

However as i said its not easy and it does require 'know how' and im not even going to try and explain.

That pretty much sums up how i got from the crappy looking standard winxp stuff to something that almost resembles a cross between WinXP and a Mac. Once i can be bothered i might look into the dhtml coding and active desktop elements but for now im fairly happy with what ive got.
Youll need to add YzDock to startup if you want the icons to run there all the time. Otherwise youll have to run it yourself everytime you start.

You may also want to download the MMD3 Skin for Winamp3 which looks utterly ace with just about everything ive done here and you can see it in the above screenshots from my pc.

Apart from that happy skinning.

JJ
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 15:46   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Genius, d00d, real genius!
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 15:58   #3
Ðiscorporation

JJ si teh 1337
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 22:19   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
There are other alternatives JJ:

www.wincustomise.com which suits the Object Desktop range (I know it's paying but still - there are trials): WindowBlinds, ObjectBar, LogonStudio and DesktopX [ www.stardock.com ] are the 4 alternatives to what you have posted and from another proggie SysMetrix will display system stats etc.

** Here is my desktop --> [ http://members.lycos.co.uk/muuhh/desktop.jpg ]- it's Mac OS X inspired - except I've only edited the desktopX theme to fit my needs and the WindowBlinds skin is untouched - I dislike the finder bar of Mac OS X itself so I usually have my obj. bar skin turned off - you can't see my logon studio skin as der...! my sysmetrix skin is to the right - it's ok but doesn't fit in with the feel of my design - but it'll do

my wa3 skin is Boom Box - I only use MMD3 if I'm using the CoperDeck3 'Complete' Object Desktop skin (which is class!) - I'll post a screeny of that l8er
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 27 Jan 2003 at 22:38.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 04:53   #5
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Thx for the tips JJ

Rockin desktop
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:05   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I got bored yesterday:
http://www.megla.net/desktop.jpg

I like it anyways.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:16   #7
Androme
☆ ♥ 

sorry megla but your desktop sucks bad 100%

go fourth and bow your head in modding hall of shame.
----------retired-------
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 18:28   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I've had the image for ages.
Just added stats, toolbar, calendar.

I like it - that's all that counts. Anyways, what do you expect for 4 hours work?

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 20:23   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
I've had the image for ages.
Just added stats, toolbar, calendar.

I like it - that's all that counts. Anyways, what do you expect for 4 hours work?

i think it looks pretty good for 4hrs work actually.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 21:46   #10
karis

a mate from pa.. doh okay its the pa forums fs :P after showing me a pic of his desktop...

Its way kewl!!!

I wanted jazzy buttons - I got them \o/\o/

and thats just the start!!
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 22:51   #11
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Gettin there with mine....still some work to do and that DHTML stuff is interesting

Its a start
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 21:31   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
well in about 30 mins ive managed to get a calendar, some nice system stats, and i did have the bbc news ticker, but it seems they've now blocked me, as its stopped working.

not bad for not having winXP though, heh
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 21:05   #13
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
for some reason when i try to set a webpage as my desktop i just get a blank blue screen, no matter which page i try to set
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2003, 21:51   #14
Rayden
Enforcer

Rayden is an unknown quantity at this point
where is the tutorial for customizing my linux desktop!?
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 11:07   #15
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road
Dos and NC 4ever!
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
HE IS THE BEST FRIEND ANYBODY COULD WISH FOR!
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 17:14   #16
NaQ

NaQ is an unknown quantity at this point
www.geocities.com/irishloco/desktop1

i love it!! its not finished yet tho, and ill have a couple in rotation
meglamaniac i love your backround, tell me where you got it!
NaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 18:43   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Your link doesn't work.
Backdrop is from http://www.artofgregmartin.com.
You can find the downloads page here. The image is called Inevitable - I had to remove some of the text to fit the stats on (yeah, bad me, but at least I'm crediting the guy).

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 19:33   #18
NaQ

NaQ is an unknown quantity at this point
works for me and other people meglamaniac :[

btw i can only see the top of your desktop from ur link for some reason

im having problems with coolmon, the default quick scripts work like tabbed, but i want them to match my backround, could someone give me a simple coolmon config?
NaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 19:55   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I forgot about geocities and it's hotlinking thing.
Try again with my desktop if you particularly want to see it- force a cache refresh (ctrl+f5 in IE) and it will work in the end. The host is just utter crap.

Unread 18 Feb 2003, 09:20   #20
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
the correct link would be http://www.geocities.com/irishloco/desktop1.JPG , heh

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:12   #21
Androme
☆ ♥ 

this AD stuff looks good - anyone know of any places to d/l stuff or any tutorials? thnx - (gonna be away for a while w/o net access so searching google isn't going to b an option - ta)
----------retired-------