User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:32   #1
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
The Portal

Sure looks nice now. If I only had the time to play r10

And some nice info.. That's the way to do it. Looks pretty good if you ask me..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:45   #2
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Believe me, this is only a temporary thing between r9 and the release of the proper r10 portal which I can assure you is a lot more sparkly and will allow us to do a lot more stuff.

Guess you'll have to wait and see for that though

Thanks to Mit for coding the PHP parts of this one, and Teas for providing us with a set of graphics.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:48   #3
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Well judging from the info, I am missing out some excitement for next round. It looks good, and if I only had time I would definately be playing
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:48   #4
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see any changes.............only that fudge is going to prison.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:50   #5
-CP-
SHW

Try www.planetarion.com

Besides, didn't say it was new just that it looks like r10 will be good

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:59   #6
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
-Hack into enemy finance programs and steal their wealth.

evuhl!
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 19:59   #7
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
Originally posted by mens
-Hack into enemy finance programs and steal their wealth.

evuhl!
I love it

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 20:05   #8
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
If you like that... i hope you'll like the new look portal and toolkit.

That, and all the added features that are being done to both. :-)

*goes back to slaving away over pages of code*

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 20:23   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Gah, where are the CH logs??? In particular, today's?!
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 20:26   #10
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
(20:26:01) * Topic is 'Planetarion Round 9 FINISHED, Round 10 Coming to a screen near you. Keep ur eyes on www.planetarion.com for updates! PaX Q&A : http://portal.planetarion.com/news.php?id=245 CONGRATS!!!!!!!! --> http://portal.planetarion.com/news.php?id=244'
(20:26:01) * Set by Mit on Wed Aug 06 20:12:53

topic of #planetarion

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 21:37   #11
Parthos
lippy bint

Parthos is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by A2
Believe me, this is only a temporary thing between r9 and the release of the proper r10 portal which I can assure you is a lot more sparkly and will allow us to do a lot more stuff.
Some things we would all prefer even more than sparkly things.

Like, a splash page and portal that actually fits into a 800 x 600 resolution screen, unlike the new r10 placeholders up atm. Tables that aren't fixed width, and using banners that are less than 900 pixels wide helps immensely with this . Also remembering a broswer's windows take up a few pixels of real estate, so even a graphic that is exactly 800 x 600 will create scroll bars rather than display completely.

The new splash page and portal frighten me that you are taking a step backwards: the most recent portal has been so nicely coded—why go back to making fixed width stuff and huge graphics etc? Will we be seeing more of the portal features from the bad old days like flashing and marqueed text?

Follow the lead from the most recent portal design from r9 to present (r8 too?) and make it flexible, quick-loading, and informative.

When we want sparkly things, we don't play a broswer-based game heh.
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Parthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 21:48   #12
Mit
Let battle commence

Another no-win situation.

Some maon the portal is too plain and boring. Some moan when its too graphical.

Some moan when it uses fixed widths (which it is going to for this round - 1024), some moan when its not fixed widths (why? pass)

As the majority of new computers and a lot of older ones, now support higher resolutions, it was decided as a group when we started designing the rnd 10 passport system to use that for the resolution of the portal.

The old portal, yes it was useful and very configurable, it still has its flaws. And trying to integrate into the passport system is not easy.

Just wait till you see the results before slagging it off so much, cos i hope you and the rest of teh community will like all the extra information that will be on the portal and associated parts.

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:05   #13
Parthos
lippy bint

It's worrying that a few requests and helpful tips is considered moaning and slagging off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
Some moan when it uses fixed widths (which it is going to for this round - 1024), some moan when its not fixed widths (why? pass)
Why do ppl moan when it's not fixed width?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
As the majority of new computers and a lot of older ones, now support higher resolutions, it was decided as a group when we started designing the rnd 10 passport system to use that for the resolution of the portal.
And out of curiosity, why are you all so quick to decide that making a browser-based game require a new or recent model computer/monitor is a good thing? Even when i run in 1024+, I tend not to want to have my browser windows open that huge anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
Just wait till you see the results before slagging it off so much
I'm not slagging it off yet, just trying to stop a car crash before it happens .
12:17 AM: Cochese: if PA team was a liquor, they'd be that plastic-half gallon for $8 stuff
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:23   #14
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Parthos
And out of curiosity, why are you all so quick to decide that making a browser-based game require a new or recent model computer/monitor is a good thing? Even when i run in 1024+, I tend not to want to have my browser windows open that huge anyway.
The PC I bought back in 1996 (a P166 btw) could handle 1024x768 quite happily. As I already said this is a temporary measure to fill the gap between r10 being advertised in the press, and therefore people coming to look at PA, and the launch of the new system. The old portal, although functional, was not suitable for quick conversion to something that looked vaguely pretty which is why this new splash-site is in existance.

We have chosen 1024x768 for the new resolution because:
1) 99.9% of computers support it
2) Having a fixed width enables us to produce a proper system with a nice interface instead of having to rely on text and tables. One of the main complaints that we've had about the r8/9 portal is that it is boring and only has text on.

As Mit said we're in a no-win situation here since it'll never be "right". Someone will always have a problem with it, so we have to attempt to satisfy the majority of users rather than every single one.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:29   #15
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Im even using 800x600 atm.

Make it fit in that - its not hard.

Its generally not an issue to make the pc support 1024x768, the issue is is the text too small to actually read?
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:36   #16
A2
#planetarion

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
Its generally not an issue to make the pc support 1024x768, the issue is is the text too small to actually read?
Did you check your text size settings on IE? (for the record I'm using the default of "Medium")

Last edited by Leshy; 6 Aug 2003 at 23:04.
A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:40   #17
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
I have 2 screens to test on here, this one (a 15" LG) that i'm developing on, that runs at 1152*864. The test is perfectly readable (same size as text appears here on these forums)

The laptop, which i'm testing for smaller screens on (actually only 800*600) works fine too, and looks good with minimal scrolling.

I do set my main PC down res to check it all properly, and use another screen too (1024), to check my windows settings aren't effecting it at all.

The original gfx were designed at 800*600, and it was just too crouded, which is why we sat down and had a discussion about the rest to use. By the time u have a menu down the right, and then teh data - don't forget, i'll be using this look on the new toolkit too. So i need the width myself (and wanting to do it fixed with due to problems with dynamic widths).

Last edited by Mit; 6 Aug 2003 at 22:52.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 23:17   #18
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
Did you check your text size settings on IE? (for the record I'm using the default of "Medium")
I dont think the IE font size settings affect mozilla, so no

Loads of people out there still have 14" (13.2" visible) monitors, and 90% of large sites do fine in 800x600. Multiplay, barrysworld, slashdot, bbc, cnn, sky etc etc.

I do the bulk of my work on a 21" and its very easy to fall into the 'size trap' and make pages 1200 wide, simply because it looks good on yours.

The current splash at http://www.planetarion.com ( http://planetarion.com is the old one - better fix it folks!) could be made to fit on 800x600 in 10 minutes if the designer chose so.

If it doesnt fit on 800x600 generally you need to look over your layouts again. The old ones fit fine.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 23:30   #19
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
i generally do all of my pages 780 pixels wide max, so they fit into an 800*600 page with a scroll bar.

And i'm not really a fan of expandable widths tbh.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 00:37   #20
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
My dad uses 640*480 on a 17" screen, higher resolution than that and he can't read the menus in the programmes, let alone the text on most websites. Granted this is rather extreme, but I am sure there are people out there playing this game that have the same problem to a lesser extent.

Don't alienate them please.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 01:15   #21
MikeHunt

is it me or is the frontpage getting worse and worse everytime someone change it?

|edit|

And so does the game interface ffs, its all bright colors and extreamly gay. Looks like someone went amock with bevel boss, aswell as other different addons to photoshop.

Not to be rude or anything,but the whole thing smells of unexerperienced gfx artists and microsoft frontpage.

|edit 2|

Why make the game harder for people with all the extra crap?
You will prolly scare away more people with it then you keep when it comes to newcommers to the game.

Last edited by MikeHunt; 7 Aug 2003 at 01:21.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 03:05   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
My dad uses 640*480 on a 17" screen, higher resolution than that and he can't read the menus in the programmes, let alone the text on most websites. Granted this is rather extreme, but I am sure there are people out there playing this game that have the same problem to a lesser extent.

I've always found PA pages hard to read. I finally had to get reading glasses this year. Granted, I'm quite a bit older than PA's target demographic, but you'd figure a text-based browser game could at least get the text part right.

I've always wanted just a text-only option; but instead they keep putting more and more junk on the screen and the actual payload gets crowded out. If your eyesight isn't that good you end up needing a huge monitor and/or a magnifying glass. :/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 03:10   #23
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
I don't see any changes.............only that fudge is going to prison.
lol.... marige isn't always that bad

atleast not right away

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 05:42   #24
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
Im even using 800x600 atm.

Not many do though.. Allthough the best solution clearly would be to make it fit in all resolutions, you could always increaze yours .. not that difficult.. If you don't know how.. I am sure many people would love to help you..

Last edited by -CP-; 7 Aug 2003 at 05:49.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 05:44   #25
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
Loads of people out there still have 14" (13.2" visible) monitors, and 90% of large sites do fine in 800x600. Multiplay, barrysworld, slashdot, bbc, cnn, sky etc etc.

No.. that is actually wrong.. not many have 14" crt screens anymore.. But I am sure there are people who have 12" black and green monitors somewhere, should they make pa fit for them too?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax

Heh.. this is extreme yes. wouldn't it help with some better glasses? Make sure you show him how to increaze font size in his browser, that could help..

Last edited by -CP-; 7 Aug 2003 at 05:50.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 05:52   #26
A2
#planetarion

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeHunt
And so does the game interface ffs, its all bright colors and extreamly gay. Looks like someone went amock with bevel boss, aswell as other different addons to photoshop.

Not to be rude or anything,but the whole thing smells of unexerperienced gfx artists and microsoft frontpage.
Same answer as I just gave in the other thread:
The graphics you see in the screenshots are placeholder graphics so that it was playable for beta. Several people who are good at graphics are busy coming up with new skins to make it look like a proper game.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 06:22   #27
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't really matter than 99% of people run in 1024 by 768, but it does that there are some people that for whatever reasons they have, be it necessity or preference, run in lower settings. As they are paying customers, I'd recommend you cater for them. After all, they are they ones making your game possible with their money. I'm sure such a small concession as this isn't to much work...
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 09:59   #28
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
Originally posted by Zapman
It doesn't really matter than 99% of people run in 1024 by 768, but it does that there are some people that for whatever reasons they have, be it necessity or preference, run in lower settings. As they are paying customers, I'd recommend you cater for them. After all, they are they ones making your game possible with their money. I'm sure such a small concession as this isn't to much work...

Actually it does matter if 99% run 1024x768 or more. I may be wrong, but it seems to me it should be easier for the 1% to adjust their screen settings, then to make changes to the game.

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:00   #29
Yeggstry
Connection Established...

Yeggstry has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I've always found PA pages hard to read. I finally had to get reading glasses this year. Granted, I'm quite a bit older than PA's target demographic, but you'd figure a text-based browser game could at least get the text part right.

I've always wanted just a text-only option; but instead they keep putting more and more junk on the screen and the actual payload gets crowded out. If your eyesight isn't that good you end up needing a huge monitor and/or a magnifying glass. :/
Why do you think that the decision was made to make it in 1024*768 fixed width then?? If you look at the latest CH for the current portal in 800*600 the menus clutter up the viewing of the page and it is VERY hard to see.

With the new system you would expect to see the main information easy-to-read on the page (even if you had to scroll a little bit). That imo is worth the decision to put it at 1024*768.
R5 - 36:10:16 (Armada)
R6 - 32:16:13 (ViruS)
R7 - 26:3:14 (Infection LT/ViruS TO) (#364 planet, #34 gal)
R8 - 4:3:1 then 3:8:4 (ViruS TO)
R9 - 47:10:5 (ViruS Gaming Community (VGC) Tech Op)
R9.5 - 23:6:4 (VGC Tech Op) (#462 planet)
R10 - 5:2:3 then 5:3:1 (ViruS/Eclipse, #419 planet), Portal Coder
R11 - retired from PA
Yeggstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:02   #30
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
everyone who can pay to play PA shud be able to run at 1024*726. It's not that big ffs, and also there are no graphics to worry about.. So wtf is the problem?
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:18   #31
Mit
Let battle commence

Please, just wait till you see it before making a firm decision on whether its a good idea or not to use 1024.

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:22   #32
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zek132
everyone who can pay to play PA shud be able to run at 1024*726. It's not that big ffs, and also there are no graphics to worry about.. So wtf is the problem?
I have Microsoft stuff. I can do almost anything with it. The help function just doesn't help me much. Great to have so many features and be unable to use it.
Should I change my setting just to get a better look at PA? I don't think so. It would take me for ages to find out how that works and would probably not be able to do other stuff with my pc any more. I'm a paying customer, I expect service. Now fix it for me plz.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:04   #33
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
I have Microsoft stuff. I can do almost anything with it. The help function just doesn't help me much. Great to have so many features and be unable to use it.
Should I change my setting just to get a better look at PA? I don't think so. It would take me for ages to find out how that works and would probably not be able to do other stuff with my pc any more. I'm a paying customer, I expect service. Now fix it for me plz.
Right click on the desktop and select "properties" (right at the bottom).

From the window that appears, click on the "Settings" tab.

On the left hand side is an area that says "Screen resolution" with the current resolution underneath. Move the slider to the right as far as you need to until the resolution says "1024 by 768 pixels". Click on "Apply" and (depending on the way it is set up/what Version of Windows you are using) it will ask you whether you want to keep this setting or not. Once it has changed the resolution successfully, click on "OK" to return to whatever you were doing before (probably reading what I just typed )

That took about 15-20 seconds to read, that too much time??

Nothing that I know of is affected so much by desktop screen resolution that it no longer runs.
R11 - retired from PA

Last edited by Yeggstry; 7 Aug 2003 at 11:15.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:14   #34
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by Yeggstry
Why do you think that the decision was made to make it in 1024*768 fixed width then?? If you look at the latest CH for the current portal in 800*600 the menus clutter up the viewing of the page and it is VERY hard to see.
Thats a problem with your interface design layout. _Everyone_ else manages 800x600, I cant find one single major professional website that is 1024x768, and for every one that does exist there is 10 that do the same thing at a lower res.

I for one use an old 14" monitor at home, I know a lot of people who like to sit a decent distance away from the screen, people who use set top boxes and tv-out's.

I am sure a lot of people play planetarion too because their pc cant handle the latest and greatest mmorpgs, so shouldnt they be catered for properly?
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:21   #35
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
I am sure a lot of people play planetarion too because their pc cant handle the latest and greatest mmorpgs, so shouldnt they be catered for properly?
I'm sure some like to play in 2048 x 1536.. how about them? This is a silly discussion.. 1024x768 is a normal minimum resoution today and really shouldn't be a problem.. Would be better to consentrate the discussion on gameplay and other more interesting subjects..

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:25   #36
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Right click on the desktop and select "properties" (right at the bottom).

From the window that appears, click on the "Settings" tab.

On the left hand side is an area that says "Screen resolution" with the current resolution underneath. Move the slider to the right as far as you need to until the resolution says "1024 by 768 pixels". Click on "Apply" and (depending on the way it is set up/what Version of Windows you are using) it will ask you whether you want to keep this setting or not. Once it has changed the resolution successfully, click on "OK" to return to whatever you were doing before (probably reading what I just typed )

That took about 15-20 seconds to read, that too much time??

Nothing that I know of is affected so much by desktop screen resolution that it no longer runs.
Tnx. I had a few problems along the way.
1. I have a translated version, all these things you mention are called differently.
2. If I click desktop: your advice is removed from sight. And I can't remember the rest.

I found after a few attempts. It already was 1024x768. I still miss the stuff on the bottom. So I tried other settings. It didn't look right. It's not like PA is the main game I play. I'm not gonna have such weird settings just for PA.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:27   #37
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally posted by -CP-
I'm sure some like to play in 2048 x 1536.. how about them? This is a silly discussion.. 1024x768 is a normal minimum resoution today and really shouldn't be a problem.. Would be better to consentrate the discussion on gameplay and other more interesting subjects..
I occasionally play in 2048x1536 at work, well I do use illustrator and 3ds at the resolution.

Your missing my point entirely though. Some people prefer to run at 800x600, myself included as at home i like to sit back from the monitor.

Ths issue is that the pa crew are unable to learn any good design practices like 99% of everyone on the web - again I challenge you to find a decent 1024x768 only large site. Everyone else manages to cater for 800x600 so I see no good reason that you cant fit your information into that perfectly acceptible space.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:40   #38
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
This is silly, lets dedicate a thread to the two week temporary splash page not being able to be seen without sidescrolling for 3% of the total users.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:41   #39
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
This is silly, lets dedicate a thread to the two week temporary splash page not being able to be seen without sidescrolling for 3% of the total users.

Agreed.. the thread didn't excactly go where I wanted it to go

I would rather hear about the change in gameplay, how the game will be adverticed etc..

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:41   #40
Yeggstry

Quote:
Thats a problem with your interface design layout. _Everyone_ else manages 800x600, I cant find one single major professional website that is 1024x768, and for every one that does exist there is 10 that do the same thing at a lower res.

I for one use an old 14" monitor at home, I know a lot of people who like to sit a decent distance away from the screen, people who use set top boxes and tv-out's.

I never had anything to do with the old portal, so it isnt a problem with MY design layout, but rather the old portal's layout in general.

You have contradicted yourself here as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, ALL of the professional sites that run in 800*600 have very small text (I looked at microsoft, yahoo and bbc to confirm this). If someone is sitting 6 feet away from the screen (I have a 14" at work and have perfect eyesight) the information on these sites is readable but not very easy on the eyes in 800*600 (I usually use 1280*1024 and that is even worse to see from 6 feet away). If someone that has poor eyesight is looking at these pages from 6 feet away I wouldn't be suprised if all they can see is a blur. Even when you change the text size it affects the layout of the page and THAT is the reason why people complain when the width isnt fixed.

We are also talking about a web browser based game, NOT a graphics heavy game. The system requirements for the two are so vastly different that you cant compare them
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:47   #41
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road
I think this needs to be polled.

In the olden days, when signing up, you had the option to choose what screen resolution you use.

We have two computers the family one with a 17" monitor, my parents mainly use this and they have to use it at 800x600 otherwise they can't see! I use it at either 1024x768 or 11525x864,

On my computer I have a 14" monitor, because I built the PC myself, and I cannot afford a new monitor, I use this in 1024x768 as well. 15" TFT's are native to 1024x768. SOMEONE is going to have scroll bars, and it is only demographic to give it to the minority, they're not THAT bad, live with it. Whether it be the 1024ers or the chuncky 800x600'ers

TAKE a POLL.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:00   #42
Teddy_Bear
The Original Teddy

Teddy_Bear will become famous soon enoughTeddy_Bear will become famous soon enough
like said above PA is a "Mass Multiplayer online etc".... so if the "masses" use 1024 then PA will catter for them, such as PA X changing to incourage the "Masses" to join

this is a tipical PA thread where ppl will just moan at what the PA crew (or team or whatever there called) do

i was playing last round on a laptop running 800X600.... the portal worked fine yes, but then went in to the game the left menu bar was all messed up with scrolls going horizontal and vertical....

no i did not moan or here any one else moan.... but i did here ppl moan about how boring the portal was being text bases and that PA needed new blood in the game, hence the new PA X game and new portal

i end this debat there
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:03   #43
Yeggstry

Dont worry, you wont be seeing any frames anymore (another thing that ppl complained about for 9.5 rounds...)
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:39   #44
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road
I agree with the 1024x768 I think it is the majority now-a-days, and certainly in the future, people here are only complaining, but I am complementing :-) Well done. All websites that I design now, I do for 1024x768.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 13:11   #45
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
I think its goo that finally things are moving to bigger sizes..... I absolutely hate any resolution below 1024x768. I use 1280*1024 on my lcd as it is the resolution it is designed for. I am sure everything will look fine on it and well if i find things are to small i can change the resolution while i'm playing pa... its not like it that much effort.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 13:19   #46
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by -CP-
I love it
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 18:20   #47
Parthos
lippy bint

Quote:
We are also talking about a web browser based game, NOT a graphics heavy game. The system requirements for the two are so vastly different that you cant compare them
Right, it's a browser based game, so why insist on putting in big graphics when so many customers are requesting that it fit on a smaller screen resolution?
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
In the past, asking for improvements once they were final didn't work. We got neat marqueed and blinking text etc and virtually unloadable php coding that stayed that way. w00t!

Now we simply try to head things off before similar things happen again. If the temporary graphics are a bit off, don't you think the final ones will be too unless people speak up and request better compliance with graphics standards?

I know people are putting a lot of work and dedication into this. There's no reason for them to work in a vacuum; I personally much prefer getting things right the first time rather than redoing them later.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I've always wanted just a text-only option
Aye. Would make it lots easier to sneak on from work.
Quote:
Deisgning isn't about making things easy for the designers. It's about making things easy and beautiful for the client. If something looks cluttered, you find a way to unclutter it. If the client says "ok, remove some of the clutter," you remove some. If the client says "ok, go to a bigger page and keep all the info," you do that. And if the client says (as they sadly usually do) "make it all fit and look pretty anyway" you do that too. Yes, in the third option you have to think a bit more, but that's life, and 99 times out of 100 it's possible to make that third option work properly.
Quote:
With the new system you would expect to see the main information easy-to-read on the page (even if you had to scroll a little bit). That imo is worth the decision to put it at 1024*768.
BTW, who said they'd prefer to scroll to see information rather than click a link for it or whatever? Horizontal scrolling is consistently reported as one of the biggest web design boo-boos, as customers can't be arsed to scroll horizontally (whereas nowadays vertical scrolling is no problem). Designing things without horizontal scrolls is such a no-brainer I'm amazed they are planning to actually do it.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 00:31   #48
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally posted by Parthos
Right, it's a browser based game, so why insist on putting in big graphics when so many customers are requesting that it fit on a smaller screen resolution?
"Big Graphics" means the 3D kind of animation that are used in modern non-browser games, all gfx cards that have been produced in the last 3-5 years are more than capable of handling browser-based graphics.

I haven't seen any 3D animation in the style on ANY web site to the detail of games like Unreal Tournament 2003, have u??

Quote:
Deisgning isn't about making things easy for the designers. It's about making things easy and beautiful for the client. If something looks cluttered, you find a way to unclutter it. If the client says "ok, remove some of the clutter," you remove some. If the client says "ok, go to a bigger page and keep all the info," you do that. And if the client says (as they sadly usually do) "make it all fit and look pretty anyway" you do that too. Yes, in the third option you have to think a bit more, but that's life, and 99 times out of 100 it's possible to make that third option work properly.
Designing the Human-Computer interface on the screen has very little to do with the ease of code behind it. Anyone that can code a dynamic site can easily produce a simple easy-to-read and easy-to-use interface (for example, for a poll system) in about 20 lines of code.

Quote:
BTW, who said they'd prefer to scroll to see information rather than click a link for it or whatever? Horizontal scrolling is consistently reported as one of the biggest web design boo-boos, as customers can't be arsed to scroll horizontally (whereas nowadays vertical scrolling is no problem). Designing things without horizontal scrolls is such a no-brainer I'm amazed they are planning to actually do it.
If you can think of a way of creating the portal that is:

Uncluttered (even when the text size in IE is made bigger)
Fits the page in 800*600
AND is readable by all (i.e NOT making the text VERY small like bbc, microsoft etc.)

then I suggest you PM Mit, I am sure he is more than willing to hear your suggestion....
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 01:45   #49
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't get this. Last time I checked, it was standard design ethics that dictated you design your websites to fit any resolution within reason. Since when did the people coding next round decide they could just ignore that? ...
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 02:00   #50
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zapman
I don't get this. Last time I checked, it was standard design ethics that dictated you design your websites to fit any resolution within reason.
Especially among people who play games, 1024x768 is a standard resolution. Even most 14" screens can still display 1024x768. The ever-increasing 15" TFT screens are 1024x768 native, not to mention 17" CRT/TFT screens. It is highly unlikely that anyone will not be able to run 1024x768.

From a designer's point of view on one hand I'd say that catering for 800x600 is a good thing, on the other hand at some point you have to stop supporting low resolutions - or we'd still have to be designing sites for 640x480. And even when creating pages myself I normally find 800x600 becoming restrictive.
Quote:
Since when did the people coding next round decide they could just ignore that? ...
Which brings me to my next point - the only thing which is not 800x600-compliant is going to be the portal. The game itself will still run fine in 800x600 without the need for any horizontal scrolling.