User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Apr 2003, 21:46   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Just a small comment on today's alliances and wars.

This statement applies to most threads tho you cannot place it in any, thus I will make a special thread for it.

Alliances nowadays only go into a fight if they know they will win. You only start a war if you know you will.

Thought I should share and I am eager to see the feedback on it.
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 21:49   #2
kaos
peon

kaos is an unknown quantity at this point
actually i know only few ppl who would start a war where they wouldn't be sure that they would win ...
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 21:49   #3
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
There's nothing 'new' about Sun-Tzu.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:03   #4
Biggdogg
Grand Poobah

Biggdogg is an unknown quantity at this point
All alliances start wars because they think they can win. If you start a war you dont believe you can win thats pure stupidity.
Biggdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:06   #5
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
yes there i learnt a new thingy. But then you also have to say
"attack is the best defence"
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:10   #6
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Statement two.

This however is never an excuse for cowardism.
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:00   #7
Urkki

Urkki is an unknown quantity at this point
The original statement in itself is far too general.

There are numerous examples of alliances going to war when they were far from certain they would win. First of all in every round since R4 at least blocks have gone to war even when they have been quite sure to lose (from R5 nocex to R9 VOM).

2ndly in midround alliances have gone to war even when their victory has not been at all certain (like Ely etc joining Fury against Tits&co last round, I don't think they thought they'd be sure to win it).

It's more like, alliances start war only if they think they will win, or if they think they have no other choice, or they are stupid, or they want to have fun even if they lose, or there is some other factor.

Just because NAR this round didn't break the NAP with WEET (which would have been a smart thing to do around tick 100 when it was clear VOM would be beaten and NARWEET would end pretty soon), and WEET went to war against them when they thought it's safe, it doesn't mean you can draw a gross generalization out of it. Of course there's tendency to avoid war you're likely to lose, but it's not a general rule like that.
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:17   #8
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
No alliances starts a war by choice if they believe they will lose. They can have war forced upon them, but no sensible alliance will begin a war without a reasonable belief that they will win.

The Ely/WP cooperation with Fury in r8 was simply because they knew that Titans/LDK would gain complete victory if the universe did not stop them. So Ely/WP simply chose to fight a war while there was still a chance to win it, rather than waiting until that chance disappeared completely. They were not sure to win, but they were sure to lose if they didn't fight.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:33   #9
Kyoto
Lieutenant-Colonel

Kyoto is an unknown quantity at this point
I studied at a different school then...
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:33   #10
Lui
Lemming

Lui is an unknown quantity at this point
I've started a fight we knew we couldn't win...just to throw something in to contradict. I don't like absolutes.

Lui
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:47   #11
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
this has to be the most pointless thread of the round so far, bar necros one
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:53   #12
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
this has to be the most pointless thread of the round so far, bar necros one
Pretty much seems that way, but I bet Theamion has more Sun-Tzu to pull out. Too bad most of it is inapplicable to a web-based game

&Omega;
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:58   #13
K03N
Banned

K03N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by kaos
actually i know only few ppl who would start a war where they wouldn't be sure that they would win ...

pld our R7 gal.
K03N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 00:07   #14
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoSquirrel
Pretty much seems that way, but I bet Theamion has more Sun-Tzu to pull out. Too bad most of it is inapplicable to a web-based game
The fact is that if everyone knows this, while are we still shouting at eachother about 'stagnation, bullying, outnumbering, backstabbing and so forth' ?
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 02:11   #15
InTGuRu
I love Kwon Boa

InTGuRu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
The fact is that if everyone knows this, while are we still shouting at eachother about 'stagnation, bullying, outnumbering, backstabbing and so forth' ?
I could apply Lexa Doig quotes to PA but that doesn't mean it's applicable

[19:36:04] <Vaporizer> he is re-assuring isn't he...you can always think 'at least you're not intguru'

[15:02:56] <Newt|revising> ive got u in my siggy InTGuRu!!!!!!!
[15:03:00] <Newt|revising> u shud return the favour
InTGuRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 02:48   #16
Norseman
4ever a Snuggly Bunny

Norseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
chicken and code of honour - one just as self-destructing (pa in general) as the other
R3: 111:17
R4: 2:15 Elysium
R5: 1:5 Elysium
R6: 24:16 Elysium
R8: 28:?? Adelante
Retired & vanished

Last edited by Norseman; 3 Apr 2003 at 02:54.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 03:05   #17
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you fight the fights you can win or do you fight the fights that need fighting?

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 03:26   #18
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just a small comment on today's alliances and wars.

Quote:
This statement applies to most threads tho you cannot place it in any, thus I will make a special thread for it.

Alliances nowadays only go into a fight if they know they will win. You only start a war if you know you will.

Thought I should share and I am eager to see the feedback on it.
As a few have said anyone who starts a war they know they can't win is stupid, however there is much to be said for alliances who don't do anything because altho they know they can win they also not that its is possible that they can lose as well.

Then you have the alliances that want to try and stay buddy buddy with everyone, but that is a totally different issue...

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 04:56   #19
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Its quite simple. An alliance starts a war if they judge the benefits of that war outweighing the risks.

A war you are likely to lose is extremely high risk, therefore the only time you would start it is if the benefits would be huge, ie survival.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 06:14   #20
Bongdage
Giant Squid Wrestler

Bongdage is an unknown quantity at this point
well put simply...

Iliad > Oly
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 08:26   #21
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Its quite simple. An alliance starts a war if they judge the benefits of that war outweighing the risks.

A war you are likely to lose is extremely high risk, therefore the only time you would start it is if the benefits would be huge, ie survival.
Very well said
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 08:37   #22
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Bongdage
well put simply...

Iliad > Oly
that's gonna get you in trouble m'laddy

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 08:44   #23
Miccksey

Miccksey is an unknown quantity at this point
but it sure was a great time there in Iliad hehe
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 11:43   #24