User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 22 Feb 2003, 14:10   #1
TheSeeker
.:. Adelante .:.

TheSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Pick your Race

After playing in Beta for a while, seeying the (final ?) stats so far, what race would YOU pick ?

I'm still going for Cathaar, as they didnt had much changes (only mantis pod and guardian) and those changes where only good.....

I'm raised like a Cathaar, and i will Die like a Cathaar.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 14:14   #2
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Re: Pick your Race

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSeeker
After playing in Beta for a while, seeying the (final ?) stats so far, what race would YOU pick ?

I'm still going for Cathaar, as they didnt had much changes (only mantis pod and guardian) and those changes where only good.....

I'm raised like a Cathaar, and i will Die like a Cathaar.
You always play cathaar, no matter what the stats are.

hAl
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 14:15   #3
TheSeeker

Re: Re: Pick your Race

Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
You always play cathaar, no matter what the stats are.

hAl
lol
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 15:17   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
hehe

cathaar ofc looks very good.... but...

xans will also be a popular choice cuz of the low eta and milscans, and if there are many caths, there will prolly be many terrans going to get those many caths and ..... :|

guess i have to wait with my decision till spinner`s 'tweaks' are done ^^
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 15:59   #5
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
in effect I feel that xandas have been raped; less armor and firepower for the money is never good.

Then again, terrans still look the same as they did rnd8, wich infact was a "raping" of the rnd7 terrans, so I have a feeling I might wanna stay away from them too...

Zikos...now this is a real issue. They were good last round, a very nice race indeed if played right. But they also had a 60armor marauder last round. I have a feeling they might just have been downgraded, though truly they now are more aligned for what their true purpose allways has been, but it still feels...

So it seems at a fast glance it might be back to Cathaar for me, been ages since I played with them though but they are still pretty much what they used to be. I'm hoping it might be their round once more.
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 20:13   #6
phjvp

phjvp is an unknown quantity at this point
Since private gals are back, I think I'm going to go cathaar. Having just seen the stats, I can't think of any reason why I should change my mind
r3: 111:13:15 n00b
r4: 55:1:9 RB officer
r5: 9:2:24 RB officer
r6: retired
r7: 20:8:10 WP
r8: 43:4:1 WP
r9: 21:5:2 WP officer
r9.5 xx:xx:xx WP officer

JP
phjvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 20:57   #7
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Terran all the way for me

U cant beat a good Peg/Dem/Wyvern fleet heh
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 00:26   #8
TheSeeker

Quote:
Originally posted by Colt

tula

The World Seen From A Cathaar's View...
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 01:25   #9
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

roach
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 01:28   #10
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally posted by phjvp
Since private gals are back, I think I'm going to go cathaar. Having just seen the stats, I can't think of any reason why I should change my mind
because knowing that this is a highly logical way of responding to the new stats lets you realise that this is the perfect place to be terran and feed upon all the cathaars?
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 02:02   #11
SantaClaws04

SantaClaws04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the xans for newbie bashing - low eta in both cluster and parallel is a gift for that. which is why i'll only take xan if i go random, as its simply not good enough in organized large battles. ziks are dread when played right tho. but i think terran would be my choice if i play at all, and doesnt go random.
r4 - no know
r5 - no know
r6 - no know
r7 - no know
r8 - no
r9 - no
r9.5 - wont reveal while im playing - wont remember when im not...
SantaClaws04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 08:48   #12
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
because knowing that this is a highly logical way of responding to the new stats lets you realise that this is the perfect place to be terran and feed upon all the cathaars?
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 11:58   #13
TheSeeker

Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
im napped to all terran

The World Seen From A Cathaar's View...
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 14:02   #14
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Cath, I've been Terrans and Xan before, and the zik race doesnt appeal to me.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 00:13   #15
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSeeker
tula
hmm, i kinda ment by the fact that they are an incredibly powerful attaking combo. tho ofc, ne fleet can be beaten
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 01:23   #16
Vexaz

Vexaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SantaClaws04
i like the xans for newbie bashing - .
I`ll give u a roid per noobie u find in this universe.
R19 - R27: Orbit

Retired?
Vexaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 01:25   #17
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Vexaz
I`ll give u a roid per noobie u find in this universe.
Can i take you up on that offer?
Unread 25 Feb 2003, 18:33   #18
Robin
Loosa

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Zikonian since the first zikobot
was constructed ... and I wont change that
Unread 25 Feb 2003, 23:58   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
IF i were playing, i'd go cath - not only because they look the best to me (and almost always have ), its just that i love using the BW/Tula combo alot.

Neverhteless, the last time iw as a Cath it was in R6 - prior to all the special pods and beetle.

I'm thinking of having a Beetle/BW/Tula/Astropod/Mantis fleet - with perhaps some Roaches (though i want to keep my fleet classes distinct).

roaches, i feel, will rearely be at home
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 07:36   #20
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
A word of warning to all the cathaar guys.

you will have a problem if your targets get defence, which is quite likely :/ you have no way to either scare off defence, or beat them for speed, also you are about the only race i can think of that have to build a large variety of ships, which weakens your strengths.

good luck hitting terrans btw, how do you plan on getting past both his harpies and pegs with fr pods? To lock them both down in addition to the syrens will probably put you over the cap

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 08:28   #21
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy

you will have a problem if your targets get defence, which is quite likely :/

And that is the only reason I haven't decided yet. Still looks like cathaar though..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 09:15   #22
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

you will have a problem if your targets get defence, which is quite likely :/ you have no way to either scare off defence, or beat them for speed, also you are about the only race i can think of that have to build a large variety of ships, which weakens your strengths.

good luck hitting terrans btw, how do you plan on getting past both his harpies and pegs with fr pods? To lock them both down in addition to the syrens will probably put you over the cap
1337 tactic, ever thought of sending more than just to block your enemy?
+ if you go any other race and defender stay, you will loose more... (unless your init is better than any other ship standing against you

you are right that the scare factor is gone if you are cathaar, but you reduce your own losses (e. g. compared to the first tick for a xan) and keep the cap. so if you loose some ships for good roids, it`s still okay...
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 09:46   #23
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
You'll find you can't send too much more or you'll go over the cap, secondly there is the problem of splashback with cathaar, that if you don't lock it all down, by tick 3 you're gettoing really hurt, not just a bit hurt, unlike the other races where due to the damage you're dealing that effect isn't nearly so high, meaning you're more likely to get 3 ticks with another race other than cat.

These arguements are asa old as the hills I know, but they're still applicable

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:34   #24
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
how do you plan on getting past both his harpies and pegs with fr pods?
You dont. You send Mantis & Tarants.

surely you could see this.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:37   #25
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by -QS-
so if you loose some ships for good roids, it`s still okay...
its funney that alot of Cathaar simply dont accept any losses - if they would loose what a xan would consider very cheap roids, they'll recall simply because you are loosing something.

Also, somone said above that Cathaar have major problems by tick 3 if they fail to stun the entire enemy fleet(s) - this is in fact reversed to all the other races, who loose alot on the first tick, less and then less, whilst the cathaar loose a little, a bit more, then alot :\

attacking for 2 ticks still means you can cheap roids... and often fewer cheap roids are more important than alot of really expensive roids - imo you end up doing better.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:31   #26
SantaClaws04

SantaClaws04 is an unknown quantity at this point
"and with other races u can just attack for the last 2 ticks only"

duh

/stoned
r4 - no know
r5 - no know
r6 - no know
r7 - no know
r8 - no
r9 - no
r9.5 - wont reveal while im playing - wont remember when im not...
SantaClaws04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:05   #27
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
You dont. You send Mantis & Tarants.

surely you could see this.
and you fell right into my trap

so the only fleet capable of exploting a terran (traditionally one of cats best targets) is a CR BS one, for which the cat player earns the bonus of +1 eta, and the inability to double attacking ships as defence ships. Well cheers muchly then, because I'll just swap my kick ass syrens and harpies in gal for a bunch of bombers / brigs/ corsairs / sentinals / broads / gryphons / roaches and so forth.

heck I wouldn't even need outside defence against that fleet given that unless the cat player is VERY top heavy the proportion of score being sent at me won't be too high. And if I do, I think eta 8 anti cr ships with no fear of dying, shouldn't be too hard to come by

Cat don't worry terran, a good terran fleet realy has nothing to fear from emp, now a DE zik fleet... OUCH

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 17:37   #28
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
and you fell right into my trap

so the only fleet capable of exploting a terran (traditionally one of cats best targets) is a CR BS one, for which the cat player earns the bonus of +1 eta, and the inability to double attacking ships as defence ships. Well cheers muchly then, because I'll just swap my kick ass syrens and harpies in gal for a bunch of bombers / brigs/ corsairs / sentinals / broads / gryphons / roaches and so forth.

heck I wouldn't even need outside defence against that fleet given that unless the cat player is VERY top heavy the proportion of score being sent at me won't be too high. And if I do, I think eta 8 anti cr ships with no fear of dying, shouldn't be too hard to come by

Cat don't worry terran, a good terran fleet realy has nothing to fear from emp, now a DE zik fleet... OUCH
So we just go and attack zik or xan targets instead. No cath player with any brain cells would attack a terran player if there are any other targets available.
And the eta 9 really doesn't make that much of a difference. I've had plenty of successful eta 9 attacks over the last two rounds.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 21:45   #29
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
so the only fleet capable of exploting a terran (traditionally one of cats best targets)
omg, you can't be serious about that statement! I though you were making sence here but claiming that the race with traditionally the highest emp-res and wich traditionally has been set up as the worst enemy of the cathaar would be it's easiest target? hell no.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 22:35   #30
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

FRIGATE POWER
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:05   #31
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
FRIGATE POWER
Wyvern :\
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:10   #32
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
Wyvern :\
What is your wyvern going to do if i take out 40% of your DE's before it even fires ?
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 00:22   #33
mongob0ffel
w00t?

mongob0ffel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
What is your wyvern going to do if i take out 40% of your DE's before it even fires ?
go to their funeral
R6: WolfPack / Adelante
R8: Adelante / Fury
R9: WolfPack

mongob0ffel
mongob0ffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 00:34   #34
Ants
Commander

Ants is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Going to wait till you attempt to shoot at my de which are defending a gal mate in exchange for his pulsers.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 01:12   #35
wakka
commander

wakka can only hope to improve
Oh man you know what I'm going for cathaar with big pds. freeze and kill baby, freeze and kill. our gal will have about 6 cathaars its going to be known as the deep freeze killing zone
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 07:16   #36
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
omg, you can't be serious about that statement! I though you were making sence here but claiming that the race with traditionally the highest emp-res and wich traditionally has been set up as the worst enemy of the cathaar would be it's easiest target? hell no.
it used to go (rnd 6 I think) that cat hit terran and terran hit cat. Round 7 it was similar until terran caught on to using mass harpies, that's why the tula was so popular, because it avoided pegs. You think you need tulas against zan? you think sending them against zik is a good move? (bucc) when roaches would be soo much easier, no. Tulas were used for stopping terran CR. so if cat didn't hit terrans, no one would bother with tulas, but I think you'll find they do.... (with zik you have to stop corsairs if you want to use tulas, so most people use beetles roaches and fr pods, trying to hit zik with cr is insane)

Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:09   #37
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally posted by Ants
Going to wait till you attempt to shoot at my de which are defending a gal mate in exchange for his pulsers.
no fleet is perfect, but mine makes things kinda difficult
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:22   #38
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
no fleet is perfect, but mine makes things kinda difficult
actually yours makes things rather easy.

Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:25   #39
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
actually yours makes things rather easy.
if there arent newsscans, you might as well die while capping then don't cap at all
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:33   #40
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
if there arent newsscans, you might as well die while capping then don't cap at all
so have no roids and have no fleet to aquire them, getting wiped out on an attack early on REALLY sets you back more so than losing some later on when it's easier to rebuild and it's also not the entire of your attacking fleet.

Unread 28 Feb 2003, 07:22   #41
Sn0w

Sn0w is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
build some harpies to shoot before those frigs :P

#aus
Sn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 01:47   #42
Rastaman

Rastaman is an unknown quantity at this point
always a Zik
hence the gravitation towards mail....

Till Next Time Keep On Keepin On
Proud to be a Ğragon
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 02:47   #43
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Wanna know the only reason why Theam's strat 'Might' Fail.
Because he wont have sufficient Pegs/dems to make his enemies 'think' he's attacking with them.

Edit: I'm going terran
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote