User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 08:39   #1
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Question PaX - Fun or not ?

well thats the question i ask myself.....

at first i say its only my opinion and i wont speak it to bad before i played it a bit.

my first impression is that it wont be as much fun as before.

i liked the 4 different races, it was fun to team up with other different races to get a good attack-combo etc..this here looks not like it. now you dont have any pods anymore etc and this looks strange to me....now....but maybe that will change.

i also liked the para/cluster to universe differense. in my opinion fair to all players.

i dont like that we might not be able to see what the incomings are if an allied planet is under attack and not online (it was already discussed here somewhere). this makes defending people much more complicated.

if we dont get formulas how to make battlecalculations ? dont like that.

it was said in the chreators hour that this formulas made the game difficult...id say it made it very easy because you were able to calculate all attacks, now it seems its more going out blindly (at least until you got enough experience)...is that really easier ?

spinner said he would be surprised if there are less than 5k planets. im surprised if there are more than 2,5k (i hope im really big surprised) in the paid PaX. It wont help if there are plenty in the free version but those wont get over in the paid section.

i like the inbuild alliances and the features. certainly a good point.

All in all i must say i dont like (that is what i feel at the moment) the new changes of Planetarion. Maybe because people feel mostly bad about changes. on the other hand every arse should know by now that we needed changes. but my impression is that the whole planetarion isnt itself anymore and i feel (due to talking to others) that there will be a planet decrease again related to round 9. and i couldnt be arsed to play a round with less than that planets. i always thought the round 8 player amount was the minimum.

but well, thats all only me and maybe the new changes will attract alot of new players and good sum of the old will like it.

its just that we/me played Pa because its Pa and not any clone like ********** or whatever. now i fear it wont be Pa anymore and it wont be the same and it will maybe worse....

also who i am to complain before i even played a few ticks

i just hope after removing the in my opinion essential details of fun (4 races, eta) it will be great. (if it ever was :P)
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 09:59   #2
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm, some interesting point. If you ask me, i really look forword to RaX. Because of so many changes in the main assets of the game, everyone has a chance to start fresh, to try out and invent new tactics. There will be something to do (well at least for RX i hope) and something new to find out. People are generally afraid of changes, but I really, really hope that it is all going to run smoothly and that RX will be fun and refreshing!
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:01   #3
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by zek132
hmm, some interesting point. If you ask me, i really look forword to RaX. Because of so many changes in the main assets of the game, everyone has a chance to start fresh, to try out and invent new tactics. There will be something to do (well at least for RX i hope) and something new to find out. People are generally afraid of changes, but I really, really hope that it is all going to run smoothly and that RX will be fun and refreshing!

yea np with that.

but is that Planetarion then ? it could be also a different game. its not planetarion anymore, its not the original anymore.

but that dont have to be bad...i just feel it is.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:03   #4
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Legator
yea np with that.

but is that Planetarion then ? it could be also a different game. its not planetarion anymore, its not the original anymore.

but that dont have to be bad...i just feel it is.

I think many people have the same sceptisism as you.. I guess it is impossible to answer until the round has started and people get a feel for the new things..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:06   #5
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yea np with that.

but that dont have to be bad...i just feel it is..
But it was nearly the same when they introduced races... It made the game better though didn't it (ok ok that's arguable) but i agree with -CP-, just wait and see. I think it's going to be wotrh the risk though!
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:07   #6
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by -CP-
I think many people have the same sceptisism as you.. I guess it is impossible to answer until the round has started and people get a feel for the new things..

yea indeed. but what i fear is that its no all about community...its also about the game. the best alliance community wont help you if the ppl dont like the game. this means less planets in the universe and an universe below round 9 planetcount is bull****.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:09   #7
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by zek132
But it was nearly the same when they introduced races... It made the game better though didn't it (ok ok that's arguable) but i agree with -CP-, just wait and see. I think it's going to be wotrh the risk though!

nah, at that time didnt change that much. the gameplay stayed the same. it didnt lose alot of its origin. also i dont know much bout r1 and r2.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:12   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing pods will give people more possibilities with less shiptypes. This could definately work.
Removing the different shiptypes for the races could prove to be a blunder i.m.o.
All these extra features like engineers and spies are just ballast. Fun to play around with for a few days, but not the game I pay for.
I haven't seen enough about the alliances feature yet. It could save the game from powerblocking. But I haven't seen how it would do that. Splitting alliances in allied groups of 150 members won't matter much. If it's ineffective in preventing blocking it will just be a burden, not adding much to the game. The features I have seen anounced just make blocking less effective, forcing people to make bigger blocks.
The traveltime could play a major role in how the game should be played.

My conclusion: I'm still waiting for more info.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:12   #9
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
yea indeed. but what i fear is that its no all about community...its also about the game. the best alliance community wont help you if the ppl dont like the game. this means less planets in the universe and an universe below round 9 planetcount is bull****.
I agree with the planetcount being to low for a long time, however I don't think that it would have improved without changes to the game. Some people will hate the changes and leave, and hopefully new people will see that PA is a good game.

Allthough I no longer have the time to play PA, I wish the game, the creators and the community the best. Hopefully the news and some heavy advertising will bring it back on it's feet Who knows.. maybe I'll return next year to a game with a big playerbase and still meet some of my old friends
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:38   #10
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Removing pods will give people more possibilities with less shiptypes. This could definately work.
Removing the different shiptypes for the races could prove to be a blunder i.m.o.
All these extra features like engineers and spies are just ballast. Fun to play around with for a few days, but not the game I pay for.
I haven't seen enough about the alliances feature yet. It could save the game from powerblocking. But I haven't seen how it would do that. Splitting alliances in allied groups of 150 members won't matter much. If it's ineffective in preventing blocking it will just be a burden, not adding much to the game. The features I have seen anounced just make blocking less effective, forcing people to make bigger blocks.
The traveltime could play a major role in how the game should be played.

My conclusion: I'm still waiting for more info.
well i think it will effect the blocking. and such tools like the ally fund are nice, but not sure if they will have a big effect.

to most other of your points i agree...sadly :/

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:44   #11
Cimager
TFD dude

Cimager is an unknown quantity at this point
A new Planetarion! Don't see it as a drawback, see it as a challenge!

Much like when the races were introduced :-)

Above is ofcourse my personal opinion by all means.
Cimager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:48   #12
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
I share the same worry as Legator. PAX might be a brand new game, and it might bring in lots of new players and be very successful, but it won't be PA as we know it now.

But driving old players away might be a good thing, as long as they are replaced ten-fold by new players.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:50   #13
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Cimager
A new Planetarion! Don't see it as a drawback, see it as a challenge!

Much like when the races were introduced :-)

Above is ofcourse my personal opinion by all means.

hey, i hope the best believe me.

but thats exactly the point a "new" planetarion. i love the old. i disliked the clones because they werent the original. i hope i get proved wrong.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:03   #14
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
I share the same worry as Legator. PAX might be a brand new game, and it might bring in lots of new players and be very successful, but it won't be PA as we know it now.

But driving old players away might be a good thing, as long as they are replaced ten-fold by new players.

"if" it brings alot new players is a very uncertain question but a very important one.

maybe PaX will be ruled by new players and the old players will be wiped out (left the game) - HEH - i count me to those who loved the old pa......and i dont agree with the driving out of all old players...(if you meant all)

but generally your right

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:24   #15
-CP-
SHW

Quote:
"if" it brings alot new players is a very uncertain question but a very important one.

maybe PaX will be ruled by new players and the old players will be wiped out (left the game) - HEH - i count me to those who loved the old pa......and i dont agree with the driving out of all old players...(if you meant all)

but generally your right

Would be interesting to see what had happened if they had run one round of r3 pa for instance, for free.. I would certainly play

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:52   #16
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it was said in the chreators hour that this formulas made the game difficult...id say it made it very easy because you were able to calculate all attacks, now it seems its more going out blindly (at least until you got enough experience)...is that really easier ?
it's not supposed to make it easier, it's supposed more tactical, and interesting, which it will, It's going to be near impossible for a battle calc, because of all the missions, and also the covert ops you might have going....

yes it will be a big learning curve, but it's one I am willing to take.

> I have tried other 'free' games similar to planetarion but they pop ups are annoying, the pages load slow, even on dial up, they have the same problem as planetarion, so even if it has changed and there aren't battle calcs, it will still reamain the best HTTP based MMPORG game on the web.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:58   #17
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by smeg9
it's not supposed to make it easier, it's supposed more tactical, and interesting, which it will, It's going to be near impossible for a battle calc, because of all the missions, and also the covert ops you might have going....

yes it will be a big learning curve, but it's one I am willing to take.

> I have tried other 'free' games similar to planetarion but they pop ups are annoying, the pages load slow, even on dial up, they have the same problem as planetarion, so even if it has changed and there aren't battle calcs, it will still reamain the best HTTP based MMPORG game on the web.
is this still planetarion then ? or could we name it also asldfjksajf or any other name ?

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:28   #18
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse

Actually, PAX is a brand new game of PA. It's not a new game in itself, because it has so many similarities that I've seen in other games I've played in the last few years.

I wonder what would make people leave those (often free) games to (pay to) play Planetarion, when Planetarion offers nothing new compared to what those players are used to. In this case I think the focus should be on brand new players, ie. new to online gaming or something. The price for playing is a major drawback then though.

I've started playing in round 1, but this is the first time that I really feel like "bweh, play without me". Not a loss, I know. But let the first 10 new players leave a message below, and I'm satisfied

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:38   #19
Jebba

Jebba is an unknown quantity at this point
at first i tought...yeah cool a new game new chances etc....
but to be honest....i think this will be planetarions downfall...

people wont pay to play a text-bsed game.....except this community here....but since we are so used to old pa style...
i think hordes will leave.....and there will certainly not be much influx of new players i think.....at least if they kept it as normal PA i think more people would have stayed .....but hell its good for the 2 weeeks trial thingy so i prolly wont pay for it....
Jebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:45   #20
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

I'm going to give it a go.
The reason people leave free ones to pay for planetarion, is that they know they can trust planetarion with thier money, and also, in my case because I am idle and despise pop-ups and banners...

Planetarion was getting a bit repetitive in my opionion, and needed something more, yes the creators have taken this to a bit of an extrme, but still, give it a go for PA XI they will have found out the flaws and fixed them, from the feedback they get from us..
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 13:55   #21
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Quote:
, is that they know they can trust planetarion with thier money
i take it you didnt play rd8?

Also, i share the same worries that Legator feels.This will not be PA as we know it, granted that it may have needed it, but tbh, imo i didnt see anything wrong with the 'real' PA. All that was needed was an influx of players, which could have been achieved with advertising and maybe a free round....

just my thoughts
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 13:58   #22
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
Actually, PAX is a brand new game of PA. It's not a new game in itself, because it has so many similarities that I've seen in other games I've played in the last few years.

I wonder what would make people leave those (often free) games to (pay to) play Planetarion, when Planetarion offers nothing new compared to what those players are used to. In this case I think the focus should be on brand new players, ie. new to online gaming or something. The price for playing is a major drawback then though.

I've started playing in round 1, but this is the first time that I really feel like "bweh, play without me". Not a loss, I know. But let the first 10 new players leave a message below, and I'm satisfied
if i wouldnt have my alliance and the ppl in it i would tend to do the same :/

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 14:18   #23
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
if i wouldnt have my alliance and the ppl in it i would tend to do the same :/
if planetarion dies, we could base the community on TetriNET instead.. so i got no worries about PaX
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 15:25   #24
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
What sucks is that people like me that are allianceless cant really succeed in the game anymore. I played r9.5 pretty much allianceless and did not to bad because I had plenty of friend defending me when I needed it. But now with defence only coming from alliancemates it sort of forces me to join up with an alliance again. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but I dont have to like it.

PAX will be quite diffrent and I am not sure what to make of it. Somethings I like, others I dont but can see the value in them and then of course there are some implementation which I dont think where a wise move. Only time will tell how right (wrong?) I was.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 18:27   #25
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Eventh
if planetarion dies, we could base the community on TetriNET instead.. so i got no worries about PaX

yea, damn havent thought bout that

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 18:29   #26
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by RexDrax
What sucks is that people like me that are allianceless cant really succeed in the game anymore. I played r9.5 pretty much allianceless and did not to bad because I had plenty of friend defending me when I needed it. But now with defence only coming from alliancemates it sort of forces me to join up with an alliance again. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but I dont have to like it.

PAX will be quite diffrent and I am not sure what to make of it. Somethings I like, others I dont but can see the value in them and then of course there are some implementation which I dont think where a wise move. Only time will tell how right (wrong?) I was.
yea, another point, havent really thought bout that, now non allied people have it really hard :/ a bit of loss of freedom

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 22:41   #27
Jorinn
Toyboy

Jorinn has a spectacular aura aboutJorinn has a spectacular aura about
It might have the same general appearance of PA but it looks to be a completely different game.

It will only be PA in name from the looks of things.

I liked pa from the start for it's simplicity, you did a c/r and you had it, that was it, there was no choosing or prioritsing of building more structures. it was simple, pa seems to be losing this and I don't think it's for the better.

This is actually the first time I wouldn't play pa from round start by choice rather than neccessity, but I paid for a credit so will play.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 02:25   #28
Psyon
Idiot

Psyon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yea, another point, havent really thought bout that, now non allied people have it really hard :/ a bit of loss of freedom

Am i reading this correctly..

Gal mates will be unable to send defense, only your allied people can? that will not help keep people at all..at all..i was planing on trying PA out again, now i must wait and see through the manual if all of these complaints are valid

...to the person worried about stat/battle calcs..the calcs would\could only be of little use, unless i gave my priorities and mission to my attacker. i like the facts about priorities and such, lots of sweating guess-work to both defender and attacker. it could be very entertaining to say the least

thank you for your time....

"All facts are swept aside that fail to conform to what has become a self sustaining reality"
Psyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 02:56   #29
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Psyon
Am i reading this correctly..
No, anyone in the universe can still send you defense, including your galaxy and your alliance
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 05:34   #30
Uthor
Peon

Uthor is on a distinguished road
I agree with Leggy that PA X may be a bit of a let down from the OLD PA. But as all things do,it changes. Now for the good or not I don't know, only time will tell. I am one of the Old Players (in rounds and age) that have have been enjoying PA. I will play RX because I am willing to try anything once and also like the challange of something new. Plus,(as some) I am addicted to PA, I work nights and am lucky enough to be able to play from work. So I get to be online during the prime attacks period. With this new ETA that may change, will have to see. Also the PA family that I have had the pleasure of meeting has been a big part of PA. To me the ppl of PA, members and non members of alliance, are a big part of PA so we will see if new blood pumps in to PA in PAX. I hope so, cause it would be nice to see more than 5k of players. So Leggy lets give it a shot and see how it goes
Uthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 06:20   #31
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Uthor
I agree with Leggy that PA X may be a bit of a let down from the OLD PA. But as all things do,it changes. Now for the good or not I don't know, only time will tell. I am one of the Old Players (in rounds and age) that have have been enjoying PA. I will play RX because I am willing to try anything once and also like the challange of something new. Plus,(as some) I am addicted to PA, I work nights and am lucky enough to be able to play from work. So I get to be online during the prime attacks period. With this new ETA that may change, will have to see. Also the PA family that I have had the pleasure of meeting has been a big part of PA. To me the ppl of PA, members and non members of alliance, are a big part of PA so we will see if new blood pumps in to PA in PAX. I hope so, cause it would be nice to see more than 5k of players. So Leggy lets give it a shot and see how it goes

hehe, of course i give it a shot, i just feel it wont be that what i wanted once

ah well, lets get back to work

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 19:03   #32
Heartshunter
Little Miss Sarcastic

Heartshunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Well...it might be better for the game if alot of old players would leave to get rid at least of the elitisism, but do you really think a new player would pay this kind of price for the game?
I seriously doubt it, with all clones and other free games around on the net.
I think thats where the real problem is at this moment.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:10   #33
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

Quote:
i take it you didnt play rd8?
Yes of course I did, I paid by splash plastic, the only reason I have got a splashplastic card, and I have used it twice I think, maybe three times, to pay for PA. PA should bring it back, it's difficult otherwise, although I have brought some fresh blood into PA, cos I hadda convince my friend to use his debit card...
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 10:29   #34
Legator
Pr0nstar

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartshunter
Well...it might be better for the game if alot of old players would leave to get rid at least of the elitisism, but do you really think a new player would pay this kind of price for the game?
I seriously doubt it, with all clones and other free games around on the net.
I think thats where the real problem is at this moment.

exactly, one of the main problems is to get new players and for that problem i doubt a real change of the complete game was necessary.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 20:47   #35
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes of course I did, I paid by splash plastic, the only reason I have got a splashplastic card, and I have used it twice I think, maybe three times, to pay for PA. PA should bring it back, it's difficult otherwise, although I have brought some fresh blood into PA, cos I hadda convince my friend to use his debit card...

The point he was making is that R8 was finished a month early with 0 warning, and there was never any refund or anything to make up for it. Or at least, I never got anything back. So no, we can't trust them 100%.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 21:32   #36
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Quote:
If I remember correctly (and I might not) SplashPlastic was abandoned as a payment method in Round 9 for 2 distinct reasons.

1) Jolt took over Planetarion with their own systems for processing payments from their clanserver side of business. SplashPlastic did not feature in their repertoire of payment methods.

2) Although Splash is free for customers to use there are heafty merchant fees to be paid. These take the form of both a standing fixed charge AND a percentage from each transaction. With the numbers of people who used SplashPlastic it was not economically viable.

(Please note this was from my somewhat hazy memory but I think it's correct)
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 22:46   #37
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

Quote:
2) Although Splash is free for customers to use there are heafty merchant fees to be paid. These take the form of both a standing fixed charge AND a percentage from each transaction. With the numbers of people who used SplashPlastic it was not economically viable.
Yes this was a reason, however debit cards still cost about 30p to process.. If planetarion was to take away this, then people would have hardly any option, there was alot of people who used it, this is why it SHOULD have been economically viable, think of those who lost out. *I* nearly did, along with 4 others, however I luckily met people at college who had debit/credit cards and convinced one to use his for me, and enrolled him in PA, but I reckon the majority of people didn't have this. Think £5 from 150 people, or £0 from 100 people and £10 from the 50, which is better? It is more likely to be about £7 or £8 though i'd imagine..
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 16:26   #38
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
i don't really see the problem with the new PA....... Ofcourse its totally different from the old one, which imho is good (though from what i heard it looks alot like certain other games )...... But instead of looking @ the downsides try to look @ it from a positive angle (i know thats hard for some ppl ).

The game will be totally new..... it has lots of new tactics to try, everyone can and will use different tactics which makes it more interesting and less predictable and thus requires more thinking.

Next to that the new alliance system makes it easier for new ppl to find their ways to an alliance, which means that n00bs won't be on their own anymore (assuming ofcourse that Jolt manages to attract alot of new players with their adds). Resulting (most likely) in less ppl leaving the game and more ppl having fun and inviting friends to this "nice" game . The fact of a inbuild alliance system and ppl finding their ways to them more easily will also be better for the community i think.... n00bs will be more willing to join the irc servers as they now have a use (they joined a alliance, made new friends..... hooray! )

Eventhough i liked the old pa alot i don't see anything wrong with the new pa, though ofcourse i have my thoughts on some of the new features whether they will work or not. But instead of complaining and all its better to try and look for the things u like in the new game .... Be negative on the forums won't attract much new players i think and will only encourage more ppl to leave which isn't good.

its ofcourse good to ask questions about the new things, but alot of what i see is complaints.... u can also talk about things that u like about the new game..
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 17:43   #39
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

hear hear.

Well said.
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 18:42   #40
Heartshunter
Little Miss Sarcastic

Heartshunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The game is a community game, if you want people to stay they need to be sucked into a community, thats not gonna happen in 2 weeks free trial after which they have to pay relatively high price. I'm not commenting on how good or bad the new PAX is, I'm commenting on that it will be an almost impossible task to get so many NEW players in who want to PAY to make the game successfull.
Established alliances still want to win, and will not take in new players easily, brandnew "newbie" alliances will have a hard time building up a community in only 2 weeks.
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 19:02   #41
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Heartshunter
The game is a community game, if you want people to stay they need to be sucked into a community, thats not gonna happen in 2 weeks free trial after which they have to pay relatively high price. I'm not commenting on how good or bad the new PAX is, I'm commenting on that it will be an almost impossible task to get so many NEW players in who want to PAY to make the game successfull.
Established alliances still want to win, and will not take in new players easily, brandnew "newbie" alliances will have a hard time building up a community in only 2 weeks.

This is a key point, and one I wonder if the HQ and "team" folks have considered.

Yes, you can make a 'new' Planetarion with some old, and some new, features. Yes, it would probably be 'okay'. Yes, most of the alliance/communities will still play. Newbies? I doubt it, and here's why:

Alliances aren't easy to get into--and with the limits on their numbers in-game, rest assured only the smaller alliances will have (m)any spots to offer new recruits (unless they have a wholly seperate recruiting alliance). New players won't find much help from the community in that regard, and in fact, the alliance limits may hurt the game for that reason. Where will new players go IF they decide to pay/play?

I've never minded paying for Planetarion, but frankly, the 50% price increase for these "cool new features" strikes me as perhaps not-the-best way to advertise your 'new' game to 'new' players. Come play Planetarion X: The most expensive browser-based spreadsheet on the ENTIRE internet!! Not much of a slogan, eh Yes, you'll be able to try it first...which is fine and dandy for getting a general feel for the game.

However, I doubt the "real" game will be anything like the trial version simply due to the professional nature of alliances these days. You're still throwing newbies to the wolves, and that problem still (to my limited knowledge) hasn't been addressed properly. This business in the Beta about "bashing people into the top100" leads me to believe the scoring system has been retooled in all the wrong ways. The fact some of this info won't ever be released, says it all.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've played my time in the trial version, but I can't help but feel Planetarion has died, and what's replaced it isn't improved in the areas it needs to be...it's chock full of "cool new features" that do nothing to really improve gameplay, and alliances were hard-coded as simply and uselessly as possible.

We're paying the price of a Prime Rib dinner, and the waiters assure us it is excellent, but what we end up with is more like yesterday's old cheesburger.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 15:21   #42
Flip
Canadian Ninja of DOOM

Flip is an unknown quantity at this point
Think most of you worry too much.
If you start towards something new with a negative outlook, you're not really giving it much of a chance.
Change happens... In life it can be difficult to handle... but I don't see how this can be so hard to go through. :P

Personaly I think R10 will rock. Only from reading about the new features. Engineers for people who sometimes need to sleep... Covert ops = Something you do while you wait for a tick. (Always great for passing those last 10 minutes or something. )
Fleet missions = sexy
Fleet naming = sexy for weirdos like me
Fleet experience = I'm an exp whore. Any game that has EXP I will play to the death. I will level to the death. (Example: Leveling in FFVII until I can kill the Midgar Snake during my first visit there)

Static intra-alliance travel times = sexy for DCs like me.
Less ship types and removal of initiative = New system to learn.

Bottom line: outlook good (imo)
Keep an open mind people. Starting off with negative feelings is a bad way to go about it. Seen too many people quit things because of that. :\
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 16:55   #43
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
personal opinion i'll try the 2 week trial but i will reserve judgement on wether i play or not till after that

was just wonderign though , how do you encourage new players to play this game by increaseing the price of it?

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 17:17   #44
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo

was just wonderign though , how do you encourage new players to play this game by increaseing the price of it?

Well, "new" players won't know the price increased until they mill about around here and find out

The problem is making a browser-based, graphics-less game enjoying enough for them to pay for it.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 19:54   #45
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows

Next to that the new alliance system makes it easier for new ppl to find their ways to an alliance, which means that n00bs won't be on their own anymore (assuming ofcourse that Jolt manages to attract alot of new players with their adds).
I dont see how the new system will help this. It wasn't that hard already. People could easily sign up at AH.
They could even try out multiple alliances and decide which was best. That will be more difficult.
Don't tell me it will be easier to get into the established alliances that find themselves leet, because the fixed members limit will only make that harder.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 20:58   #46
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
I dont see how the new system will help this. It wasn't that hard already. People could easily sign up at AH.
They could even try out multiple alliances and decide which was best. That will be more difficult.
Don't tell me it will be easier to get into the established alliances that find themselves leet, because the fixed members limit will only make that harder.
there are enough alliances out there that won't reach the player limit (eventhough i have no idea what it will be set to). Thing is... from what i have heard there will also be some alliance list or something which is now easier to find ingame..... And alot of alliance also didn't/don't use AH and with the drop in number of players again and assuming alot of new players will get in the game i think alliances will be looking/testing n00bs for new blood within their ranks..... whici overall increases the chance of new players finding a (decent) alliance to play in
Unread 16 Aug 2003, 11:47   #47
Myztica

Myztica is on a distinguished road
OMG you ppl are nagging way 2 much
Just wait and see what's gonna happen, I totally agree with Wandows, finally we gotta use our brains

And that ppl don't wanna pay for a game sux anyways
As going out and drinking a few beers cost way more and only gives u a headache
Unread 16 Aug 2003, 11:50   #48
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all
well, Ive been beta-ing for some time now, and for all I can say and may say.. I love this game already the minute I logged in. Its just a few addons more then remove the old game strats. Ofc things will be more clear to all when the game is free for everyone to take a look at/play. This game is even interesting for n00bs wich makes it more fun for an overall online gameplayer to start playing PA but also for the normal PA player as its now kinda useless to cheat. Two (three actually) big things that makes you already love PA

If this game was designed from the start the way it is now you would all go complain if PA crew would set it back to the way you now know. Honest.. its that good. Ofc you need time to get used of some things and ofc some big tunning for the creators are still in progress. But this game is already better then the one WE knew before... it has a few extra things that make it worth playing for better then tho last ones.

For now Id say .. keep faith .. its really worth it.
Unread 16 Aug 2003, 13:00   #49
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Im a sceptic to r10. However, Ive been sceptic to most changes... I know what will make r10 raw, will be the closer teamwork with your alliances. Lower eta, shared fund and the like. I will play it, I just hope its as good as many other implementions that has been made have been

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2003, 13:15   #50
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
i was looking foward till r10...

then i played it...