User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Apr 2003, 22:23   #1
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point
Pa-crew: judge, jury and executioner

With the recent event of Rabba's account being reopened I think there is currenly one major shortcoming in PA rules: the basis on which punishments are selected:

Currently there are 4 punishments available:
Temporary ban: forced vacation mode for your planet for a fixed number of ticks
Reduction in assets: Loss of resources, asteroids or fleet in relation to the committed offense.
Full planet reset: planet is reset to the pre-game status, 3 uninitiated roids, research/construction cleared, fleets / scans / etc. cleared.
Closure/Deletion of account: removal from the account from the game.

I think these punishments in itself are just fine: what they lack is what most legal systems in any country have. For the most basic situations there should be basic punishments. Ofc there can be situations that warrant lesser punishment but most lawsystems do this by making a clear minimum and maximum punishment per offense. What I would like to see is a system with the most common offenses and punishments. Like:

Account sharing: Minimum: Full planet reset, Maximum: Deletion
Ship farming: Minimum: Reduction of x% of roids, x% of ships and all ships stolen by offender, Maximum: Reset of planet

I think if the rules were laid out as clear as this there will be far less discussion about creator's decisions which may seem biased atm. This way there is no way a cheater can get away without at least a minimum pre aranged penalty which should work as a deterrant as well.... (imho taking a few ships away isnt a deterrant)

Discuss
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 22:32   #2
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pa-crew: judge, jury and executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Killerbij
With the recent event of Rabba's account being reopened I think there is currenly one major shortcoming in PA rules: the basis on which punishments are selected:

One of the main problems the way I see it is that the creators aren't allowed to punish the offenders themselves but allow interference and influence from players. I think the best thing would be to let them give punishment as they see fit without taking advice from all the forum users.

Now if something happens it is an excellent way for all the enemies of the player in question, and also people with nothing better to do, to badmouth the inidividual in question and even influence the creators.. This is a very bad solution imo...

This goes for many aspects of the game btw.. Having such a small player base gives players, and some players especially too much influence..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 22:39   #3
Fungi
Reincarnated PA Player

Fungi is an unknown quantity at this point
Or a better solution:

Give the cheater-hunting jobs to people at Jolt who are impartial to everyone in the game.

Fair? I would think so too.

You wouldn't expect to be tried for an offence in a court by a jury who knew you, and a judge sympathetic to you? I rest my case.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 07:13   #4
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
The major shortcomming that pa has (one of em) is that the men ( hrm ) in charge are bloody chicken pussies who doesnt dare to stand up for themselves, but instead listenes to what the lynch mob has to say..

Well Prince & Co, here is my comment:

:e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick: :e_chick:

-TheRat

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 15:40   #5
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Disagree

ALL cheats should result in deletion of the cheating accounts.

-Jonas-

Retired

Last edited by Jonas; 10 Apr 2003 at 15:49.
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 16:09   #6
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Re: Disagree

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
ALL cheats should result in deletion of the cheating accounts.

-Jonas-
only problem with that is the creators would have to grow some balls first

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 16:26   #7
Sjor

Sjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Disagree

Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
only problem with that is the creators would have to grow some balls first

damn next round i will play for WP after they close me they will reopen me and gave me the missing ressources
perfect way u get roids and noone can steal them as u are protected

Prod to not have been in many alliances
Sjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 16:32   #8
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Some responses

The 'PA crew' has no say in any cases of cheating, the only admin jobs given to PAteam are banner and abusive mail admins.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 11:09   #9
Tawg
the Mantis

Tawg is an unknown quantity at this point
i say delete them and ban them from future rounds (hard, but possible to make it harder for some cheaters to get back into the game).

You know the mantis ledgends? thats where it all started. It was fighting of this black bird, it was only a 10th of the birds size. it was a very valued insect. and thats why the technique needs a brave man and a strong one, who isnt afraid of birds.
Tawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 18:38   #10
MKeeper
hirr HC

MKeeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Another solution still would be to make player reporting and PA crew deletion completely anonymous ...

so that the player who reported .. AND the Admin member who dealt with it are totally un-identifyable ...

That way you do not know who to throw blame at ..

I would love that kind of job myself .. cos I don't really care if some pretencious alliance HC starts bitching ... just delete their planet and ban them .. should stop them from complaining pretty quickly.

Personally I don't care if 1/4 of the PA player base gets wiped out .. it'd be worth it if the game was fair