User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 08:55   #1
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Round XV Galaxy System

As a result of player feedback, problems this round and discussions on theese forums, this is our proposed galaxy setup for next round, please discuss in a constructive manner

Galaxy systems

Allow free accounts to be GC/ministers

Self exile

disable self exile for free accounts
disable self exile for paid accounts while in protection
change self exile cost formula to (value/10)*((number_of_self_exiles_so_far+2)^1.5)
change to self exile text:
It starts off the same (enter your passwords, 100% sure, etc), but takes you to a second "confirmation" page, saying "you could land in X galaxies higher than your own, or Y lower than your own. Are you sure you want to exile? Yes/No"

Planet distribution

Returning from c200, self exile, new signups location based on number of PAID accounts in a galaxy not number of planets - planets will go into galaxies in the bottom 25% by number of paid planets
Auto exile inacitve free accounts to c200 - exile if no logins every (72 + (number of times previously autoexiled * 24)) ticks (this would be a ticker function) - ticker would ignore planets in vacation mode
Shuffler - free accounts - before shuffling in free accounts move all free accoutns with less than 50 roids (who did not signup after tick start) to c200

Galaxy exile

disable galaxy exile of planets in protection
Do not allow galaxy exiling on planets that have not been in the galaxy for more than 48 ticks
only allow galaxy exiles once every 48 ticks
remove the system disabling galaxy exile for galaxies that are to small - politics.pl - instead give the galaxy a summary on politics.pl of their number of paid planets, number of free planets, total number of planets and how theese compare with the universe averages so they can make their own decisions
change deletion of free accounts timer to 10 days (this is a db setting)

private/random/buddy packs

OK ideally we have 3 modes-
the current system (2 packs per galaxy) - but configurable to control buddy pack sizes allowed.
random (0 packs per galaxy) - specify number of paid planets per galaxy, freebies then fill up gals as in current system
private (1 pack per galaxy) - specifiy size of private part of galaxy, paid and free randoms fill up as in current system

Each mode will have different text on preferences screen where buddy pack text currently is - only other differences are in shuffler code.

The suggestion for next round is to use the private galaxy mode with a private size of 4

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:29   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Round XV Galaxy System

While 1 Pack per galaxy isnt a bad idea I do have issues with the actual size of the packs. I dont know about the elite alliances but having 4 members in a galaxy can be a real strain on your resources when the galaxy gets attacked and thats in a system where you only have a couple of these. The fact they can join up with 4 does act like a honey trap for users, especially the less experianced ones (and the less experianced alliances) and when you throw in the possabiliy of getting randoms from your alliance in your galaxy it could get bad. I personally like to see maybe one pack of 2 or 3. Keeps things more manageable for people and should create more galaxies
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:40   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

problem with 2 or 3 is it means that the galaxy can't posisbly suceed on the merits of the pack alone, while it does give the peopel a slightly better chance than a fully random round, i'm not sure its enough. Of course, a pack of 4 is ideal for 2 alliances to share.... which I agree again is not hugely great - but is having 1 long term ally throughout a round a huge issue?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:42   #4
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Completely random would be nice, too.

With parallels as ETA-1

And more rights for Scan planets.

E.g. you mark ur planet as a scan planet, then you cannot launch more then 50 ships at once or smth like that

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:43   #5
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Of course, a pack of 4 is ideal for 2 alliances to share.... which I agree again is not hugely great - but is having 1 long term ally throughout a round a huge issue?
Yes, the reason why we get blocks each round

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:45   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockhead
Yes, the reason why we get blocks each round
the issue is long term blcoks v. short term blocks though

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:45   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Auto exile inacitve free accounts to c200 - exile if no logins every (72 + (number of times previously autoexiled * 24)) ticks (this would be a ticker function) - ticker would ignore planets in vacation mode
I'm assuming this also means that time spent in vacation mode doesn't count. Though I suppose if someone stays in vacation long enough to be brought out without logging in, they might be a good candidate for exile anyway

Quote:
Galaxy exile

Do not allow galaxy exiling on planets that have not been in the galaxy for more than 48 ticks
The first two are reasonable, but the last one? Why should a galaxy only be allowed to exile someone every 48 ticks? Even my ~70th placed galaxy in round 13 managed to rack up more than 33 exiles.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:50   #8
Unregistered

the exile changes would (hopefully) stop a lot of the problems currently seen in exiles, landing in gals with nothign but free planets and being an easy target, it will also allow people to get a realistic view of thier odds on lanidng in a better situation.

Would there be a way of clearly labling a planet in vac mode?
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:54   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
problem with 2 or 3 is it means that the galaxy can't posisbly suceed on the merits of the pack alone, while it does give the peopel a slightly better chance than a fully random round, i'm not sure its enough. Of course, a pack of 4 is ideal for 2 alliances to share.... which I agree again is not hugely great - but is having 1 long term ally throughout a round a huge issue?
I'd say that 4 is good enough for an alliance to share. It means that the private pack has good motivation to cross defend eachother, which is strong protection against casual raids. Whereas galaxies with ~2 members are more reliant on alliance defense. I'd point out the strongest 3 1up galaxies (22:5 in r12, 28:6 in r13 and 6:10 this round) as good examples in support of this.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 09:57   #10
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Galaxy systems

Allow free accounts to be GC/ministers
Never had a problem with that

Quote:
Self exile

disable self exile for free accounts
freebies self exile will lead to players having multiple accounts as they attempt to land in a galaxy not under continual attack or run by nooblets.

Quote:
Planet distribution

Returning from c200, self exile, new signups location based on number of PAID accounts in a galaxy not number of planets - planets will go into galaxies in the bottom 25% by number of paid planets
Erm, would this just create entire galaxies of freebies?

Quote:
Shuffler - free accounts - before shuffling in free accounts move all free accoutns with less than 50 roids (who did not signup after tick start) to c200
Yay

Quote:

Galaxy exile

Agreed, but you should be able to exile once every 12hrs.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 10:33   #11
elviz
The PolarBear Militia

elviz is on a distinguished road

Private gals of 10.
elviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 10:41   #12
Unregistered

I think stopping people exiling themselves like that is bad... If you are an active paying person who creates an account and ends up in some completely useless gal with a bunch of inactive unpaid accounts , it wouldnt be good and you wouldnt be very happy. I think people should be allowed to exile themselves upto a set amount of times so they have a chance of getting into a better gal.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 10:41   #13
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elviz
Private gals of 10.
Yes, but why? How would it benefit the game at large?
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:16   #14
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Oh yay, thanks to some nooblet who would rather neg rep me than bother commenting in a productive manner, I have 'shameless beahviour' again... hmmff why do I bother!

Not sure if I like private gals of 10, although I would prefer to see the alliances 'claim' galaxies ragardless so as to improve the galaxy community and make people work together again so I guess that would be a reason.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:20   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
freebies self exile will lead to players having multiple accounts as they attempt to land in a galaxy not under continual attack or run by nooblets.

Erm, would this just create entire galaxies of freebies?
1st thing - its better they multi and get closed than self exile around spying etc - also the idea is not to have the really bad galaxies

2nd thing - again the idea is not to have the really bad galaxies - by doing it this way thoughwe in essence stop formation of super galaxies, and the exile restrictions put in place should hopefully make the worsed gals less bad.

For example this round we have less really bad galaxies than lass round, and this has been shown by the high rate of signups during the round - this new system is a develpment on thsi system which should imporve things further

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:21   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I think stopping people exiling themselves like that is bad... If you are an active paying person who creates an account and ends up in some completely useless gal with a bunch of inactive unpaid accounts , it wouldnt be good and you wouldnt be very happy. I think people should be allowed to exile themselves upto a set amount of times so they have a chance of getting into a better gal.
its only the exil frequency thats really limited - so if once they leave protection they do hate the galaxy they can leave

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:23   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I'm assuming this also means that time spent in vacation mode doesn't count. Though I suppose if someone stays in vacation long enough to be brought out without logging in, they might be a good candidate for exile anyway

The first two are reasonable, but the last one? Why should a galaxy only be allowed to exile someone every 48 ticks? Even my ~70th placed galaxy in round 13 managed to rack up more than 33 exiles.
1st thing - i was going to have time in vacation mode count - but i suppose when we bring people out of vacation mode at the end of the round that would be a little harsh in some ways.

2nd thing - with the auto exiling galaxies should need to exile less anyway, the reason to restirct the frequency is to add a bit more thought to exiling people and to force galaxies to give people a chance,

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:28   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Yes a long term ally is bad for the game. Anything that forces blocking from the off is bad for the game as it puts in place the system of blocking from the start. The games at its best when theres a fluid political movement that responds to the way the games going rather than being set in stine at the start.

And you say that with 2 or 3 that a galaxy cant succeed on the merits of the packs alone, do we really want that. After all if a galaxy can succeed on the merits of the alliance alone they can also fail on the same basis. I mean finding yourself with the core of your galaxy being coven for example isnt going to give you a good start is it, they wont be able to defend all 4 planets so your cores weak, on the otherhand a core of 1up will deal with this much better as they have a better support team and better skills.

Also the likes 1up/nd/lch ect ect find it much easier to team up in private galaxies than those lower down. Probally for the following reasons
1) Your Sid and Co, your looking for any ally and look through the top 5. These alliances all have a pedigree and you know what to expect from each of them, and each of them know what to expect from you. Its hence alot easier to commit to an ally than if your lwoer downa dn your dealing with unknowns or those with poor rep
2) The players, the 1up and the alliance they choose as their ally will have attittudes that promote co-operation. They want to do well both as individuals and as a group. They hence are more inclinded to have the familarity of people they know around them, as long as the players are good and active and the timezones are covered they are happy. Those lower down are normally more focused on having fun which brings the community side more into play. They want galaxy mates they know and get on with so are less inclinded to join buddy packs that are split up tactically between alliances
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:37   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

do you think people would use the packs though if it was only 1 pack of 3 per galaxy?

wouldn;t the possibility of pack people abandoning the galaxy if they got bad randoms then arise - we need to avoid people wanting to exile

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:51   #20
Ferretus
ARS HQ

What about disabling the option of exile for buddy pack members?

That way they are forced to stick together and work together and get the benefits from doing so. From a community point of view they will then of course be forced to nurture their galaxies?

A little extreme I know but perhaps an option?

In my opinion a definition of buddy is a friend and someone you stick close to and look after. The recent trend of abandoning buddy packs is moving away from the rationale of creating them... ie allowing friends to play/work together.

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:13   #21
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
do you think people would use the packs though if it was only 1 pack of 3 per galaxy?

wouldn;t the possibility of pack people abandoning the galaxy if they got bad randoms then arise - we need to avoid people wanting to exile
Dont't you think the randoms will exile if they end up with an alliance 15th or lower as the core?

People will exile if they dont like their galaxy the only way to stop it would be to top exiling completly but that in itself causes problems

And yes people would still pack up imho. A few people you can rely on is better than none so most will take it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:33   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
What about disabling the option of exile for buddy pack members?

That way they are forced to stick together and work together and get the benefits from doing so. From a community point of view they will then of course be forced to nurture their galaxies?

A little extreme I know but perhaps an option?

In my opinion a definition of buddy is a friend and someone you stick close to and look after. The recent trend of abandoning buddy packs is moving away from the rationale of creating them... ie allowing friends to play/work together.
This is something that would defintly be worth discussing, my only worry is it might put people off forming the packs in the first place

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:41   #23
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

how about private packs of 5? then you really have enough to properly cross def... you don't need of same alliance and you can go with friends... obviously it could cause problems with blocks but let's be honest here... there WILL be blocks regardless. so might aswell make a proper galsetup.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:47   #24
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
obviously it could cause problems with blocks but let's be honest here... there WILL be blocks regardless. so might aswell make a proper galsetup.
That's not true though. Prior to the round start, there were no proper blocks, whereas forcing alliances to share large packs automatically creates pre-round blocks by necessity.

This round, most alliances got their members sharing packs with other alliances but did not attempt much in the way of further co-operation. It's been events during the round, i.e. 1up taking the #1 spot, that have caused alliances to 'block'. Fluid politics, cypher, fluid politics.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 13:02   #25
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
This is something that would defintly be worth discussing, my only worry is it might put people off forming the packs in the first place
Hmm - perhaps you could give benefits in other areas then. Like i suggested on IRC, if you tied it into a Passport system whereby (though some mechanism) buddy packs are far more likely to land with another pack of similar activity - that way, a really active buddy pack wont land with a completely inactive buddy pack - however as they are both at the same level of activity, you cannot exile out.

What about that?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 13:09   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Hmm - perhaps you could give benefits in other areas then. Like i suggested on IRC, if you tied it into a Passport system whereby (though some mechanism) buddy packs are far more likely to land with another pack of similar activity - that way, a really active buddy pack wont land with a completely inactive buddy pack - however as they are both at the same level of activity, you cannot exile out.

What about that?
that would of coruse need a passport though

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 13:21   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

/me dies from shock .

How hard can it be?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 13:34   #28
Skilgannon

There needs to be a fairer way of spreading out paid and free accounts as in this round I have been in a Gal with 20 planets and only 3-4 paid accounts.
So if a paid account leaves that leaves the Gal high and dry with a lack of ministers.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 13:40   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilgannon
There needs to be a fairer way of spreading out paid and free accounts as in this round I have been in a Gal with 20 planets and only 3-4 paid accounts.
So if a paid account leaves that leaves the Gal high and dry with a lack of ministers.
you signed up late at a guess - after the shuffle the distribution is good, the issue is exiling damaging it over the round. The propsoed changes are an attempt to prevent that damage.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 14:12   #30
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Reserve 5 places for private usage - essentially a 5-man buddy pack, but with the following addition:

If any of those 5 planets self-exiles, is deleted or whatever, another planet can be invited to join the galaxy as a replacement (either an existing planet or a new signup). This would prevent the creation of extremely weak galaxies where the buddy pack breaks up.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 14:12   #31
Zero
uber pe0n

Zero will become famous soon enoughZero will become famous soon enough

the idea of having 4 people per buddy pack is, imo, good as it would mean there would be approximatly 13 - 14 planets per gal and 50% more gals (going from the numbers of planets in gals from this and last round) but only having one pack of 4 would "force" alliances to form blocks before the round even started in order to spread the alliance memberbase throughout the universe. But it could turn out to be quite an interesting round that way so i opt for the private gal (1 buddypack of 4 per gal) option
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 14:17   #32
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
If any of those 5 planets self-exiles, is deleted or whatever, another planet can be invited to join the galaxy as a replacement (either an existing planet or a new signup). This would prevent the creation of extremely weak galaxies where the buddy pack breaks up.

I like this part of your idea, but not the 5 part

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 14:22   #33
Ferretus
ARS HQ

I would still keep the buddy pack at 3 and remove a buddy packs option to exile. This way the buddy pack almost becomes responsible for maintaining galactic stability in poorly run gals and yet cannot be overwhelmingly controlling towards other players, after all, the buddy pack needs you.

This way players have a choice.

1) Gamble: Random start etc as per normal with ability to exile if required (ie you dont get on with the buddy pack you landed with).

2) Buddy pack: You and 2 others form the basis of a galaxy, it is up to you to help promote galactic union (and therefore save your own arse). As the buddy pack you will most likely be in the minister position etc as you got 3 votes to organise, in addition you will be most likely friends and able to contact eachother easily. The drawback of course is that you will not be allowed to self exile and abandon your 'buddies' and/or galaxy. Its a risk but well worth it considering the good that can come of it.

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 14:25   #34
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
the idea of having 4 people per buddy pack is, imo, good as it would mean there would be approximatly 13 - 14 planets per gal and 50% more gals (going from the numbers of planets in gals from this and last round) but only having one pack of 4 would "force" alliances to form blocks before the round even started in order to spread the alliance memberbase throughout the universe. But it could turn out to be quite an interesting round that way so i opt for the private gal (1 buddypack of 4 per gal) option
This could potentially lead to players inviting elite players to fill vacancies to create uber buddy packs and galaxies?

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 16:00   #35
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Just to say all proposed ideas look good. Hard to decide on pack system though
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 17:49   #36
Holyboy
pe0n

Holyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

private galaxies PLEASE or at least 5 man private gal option

I love most other aspects of the game atm but it sucks that the whole round is basically decided on who you get in your galaxy.

i love playing with my two buddies, been with em since r11, but it sucks to hell and back when you land in a shit gal as you basically might as well say right, there goes any chance of any high rankings galaxy and planet wise.

i know this isn't "everything" but it does kinda ****in suck when you land in an inactive gal and the round has been decided already cos the higher gals have just basically had more luck with getting better randoms / buddy packs in gal.

i thought this was a game of skill not luck.

half the people who play those evul "clone" games, play them because of the fact that they can play in private gals with their friends.

bring on the flame that is inevitably coming my way,
[HomaX] Forever!
Holyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 17:59   #37
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Private Galaxies of 10 people

Why?

Well this game is losing players each round, although the game itself is fluid in politics, mechanics and in general there are no complaints (bugs, servers etc) there is a relative small memberbase to what it can achieve. Now we have several options. The first would be try and get more new players to play again. Or perhaps learn from alliances? Bring back old players, perhaps the two finest examples of alliances who brought back new players were 1up and eXiltion. Remember we had a large number of players. The random galaxy situation just doesnt work. It encourages exiling, distrust and only allows a small amount of galaxies to push for the top. You dont make your own luck, the shuffler and exiling system does it for you.

So would people come back to pa if private galaxies were back? I think yes. Planetarion for me was always about playing with friends, people have more of a motive to play if they have the commitments to play with friends. I also believe it would bring a few more people back from the clones such as p l a n e t i a amongst others.

I would also hope that it would mean to a certain extent that players who dont want to play in alliance, can. They will have the protection of there galaxy and they will be playing with there trusted mates who will defend them. Blockwise I think the pa alliances are becoming better, if they want to keep it in there pants and not block then they can. If they want to block they will, random galaxies as we see dont prevent blocking.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 18:12   #38
Kal
Inactive peon

random galaxies do not prvent blocking no, but any blocking will be dynamic based on how the round develops. provate galaxies force fixed blocking which is bad and can lead to early stagnation.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 18:16   #39
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
random galaxies do not prvent blocking no, but any blocking will be dynamic based on how the round develops. provate galaxies force fixed blocking which is bad and can lead to early stagnation.
Please name a round from round 11 onwards where 2 top alliances battled it out as a result of "dynamic" politics that you didnt expect at the start of the round.
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 18:26   #40
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
Please name a round from round 11 onwards where 2 top alliances battled it out as a result of "dynamic" politics that you didnt expect at the start of the round.
this round, lch looked a look weaker until about half way through protection when they gained some players from elsewhere.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 18:29   #41
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about

i hate the idea of not being able to exile if in a buddypack, and i am 95% sure i wouldnt pack if this was the case. i just dont like the idea of getting "stuck" because as they say shit happens, and one of your buddies might have real life commitments or internet problems etc and its not fair on the pack to put people in this situation
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 18:37   #42
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
this round, lch looked a look weaker until about half way through protection when they gained some players from elsewhere.
Say what?

There are examples, but this isn't one of them.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 19:33   #43
Holyboy
pe0n

Holyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

that is hardly "dynamic politics" Kal,

give us a .5 style round and try it? even that would get a lot of people back and then even if it was chosen to move back to buddy packs those people might continue to play after trying the game
[HomaX] Forever!

Last edited by Holyboy; 30 Aug 2005 at 19:42.
Holyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 19:47   #44
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to put across that changes in the first 72 ticks made this a fluid round, one without stagnation, is really not the way to go.

If anything, the changing agreements between the top four have made the game feel trivial. At least last round there was far more of a sense of commitment to a cause. Though blocking isn't something we want, we don't want alliance-warfare to lose it's depth and excitement either.

Private galaxies of ten as above don't actually require mass blocking pre-round. There'll be some galaxies set up in a particular light but it doesn't have to be on a grand scale. Ten spaces is a lot of space to fill for some people. I know i'd pick friends over alliances in such a situation. And just think:

We could play together as a team. It's been a long time since i've been permitted to enjoy the game with friends
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 20:10   #45
Banned
Banned

Here's a vote for large, dynamically private galaxies.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 21:32   #46
elfy

elfy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
So this would mean that the more frequently inactive the player proves themself to be means that each new galaxy they end up in has to wait even longer before they get automatically exiled? (exscuse me if my maths at this point fails me)

I like the idea of semidemi private galaxies, between 2 and 4 people to a buddy pack and 2 packs in a galaxy. I also like the addition of people in buddy packs not being able to exile BUT they can choose to leave the buddy pack and then exile themselves. The space left in the pack can be filled by inviting another person to join the pack and also the galaxy upto a total of 4 persons per buddy pack at any one time.

Any thoughts?
elfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 21:33   #47
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by elviz
Private gals of 10.

THANK U!!! best dam idea i have ever heard!
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 21:44   #48
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf0r
So this would mean that the more frequently inactive the player proves themself to be means that each new galaxy they end up in has to wait even longer before they get automatically exiled? (exscuse me if my maths at this point fails me)
Free planets don't have self exile. If planets wait for 3 days, they can exile themselves to a different galaxy. Adding time means it's harder to abuse. Also, if the planet doesn't login for 10 days, it gets deleted.

I don't see how private packs of 4 or 5 to base a galaxy on cause blocking, but people suggesting private galaxies of 10 (or however it'll work) won't cause blocking. I can't see 100% private galaxies working with the game in this state, tbh.

What would happen to the free players we're trying to keep, and those that don't have enough friends, in private galaxy setups?
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 21:48   #49
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf0r
yes - reaosn being - the truly inacitve will just next login and stay in c200 until deleted - the marginally inacitve should be given a chance to get active etc so are allowed to come back.

the reaosn for the increasing amount of time is to avoid free planets hopping around being used as spies becuase it will take ages and be long winded

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 30 Aug 2005, 22:00   #50
wakey
Hamster

We have had a round where theres been a complaint due to alliances having to merge, disband ect ect due to lack of numbers and then everyone is jumping on the big private galaxy bandwagon. We are never going to get numbers up if at every turn everything is done to knock the smaller alliances and players. The larger the private groups are the tougher it becomes for the smaller players. Pre PAX with private galaxies I would urge F-Crew members to not go into private galaxies with each other because it wasnt tactically wise to have our members spread across a few galaxies. Every round they would on the whole ignore me (including my fellow hc) because they private galaxy was a honey trap, they saw the chance of playing with a galaxy of people they liked so would group together. Everytime one of these galaxies got mass incoming there we were with a significant amount of our playerbase tied up, and even more being forced to cover that galaxy alone. A smaller alliance or one whos membership base is less elite simply cant cover this kind of incoming and then be expected to cover the rest. These galaxies eventually become fairly inactive and useless which has a knock on effect for the rest of the alliance. And the problem is every time they would fall into the same trap every time and it wasnt something restricted to F-Crew.

The closer you get to the private galaxies the more you damage those whom need the most help as they lack the resources. If we keep attacking the very people we need to hook to get we may as well just pack up and go home as PA has no future
The Farnborough Crew