User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Apr 2005, 13:54   #1
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
[Discuss] Cheating punishments

I'm sure I have written similar posts before, but it was a long time ago, so here it is again:

Taking roids out of the universe is bad. Not just for the people who lose the roids, but for everyone else who now have no chance to steal them - especially in a round like this where roids are going back and forth all the time. If someone stole my roids, got caught cheating then had 30% of their roids removed, I'd be utterly furious, because those are my roids that I would want to get back. Presumably they wouldn't lose the xp they gained for stealing those roids from me.

Secondly, roid loss is a direct cause of stagnation in the game. Stagnation occurs when planets have large fleets and not enough roids to be worth attacking, so it should be quite obvious that removing roids causes stagnation to occur sooner. There is a direct link between stagnation and the ratio of roids to fleet size.

Thirdly, removing roids often has almost no impact on large planets early in the game, because they can't mine the roids they have already. All you're really doing is reducing their value, allowing them to hit smaller targets and gain more xp.

My alternative is simple: instead of removing roids, remove fleet and/or xp (of course, some would simply suggest deleting the offending planets, but that's a seperate question). This is a "restorative" punishment, because it removes the fleet that they have built using roids they stole/defended by illegal means. As such, it puts their planet back to something closer to the level it would be had they not been cheating. Removal of xp (personally I think xp should be reset to 0) would also have a similar effect, though fleet removal is far more effective and fair.

This would be far more likely to act as a deterrent to cheaters - roids can be regained easily, but the loss of fleet is a real consequence that might actually hurt the cheater, without having the effect of accelerating stagnation; in fact it would have the effect of alleviating stagnation. The cheater loses, everyone else benefits (if only in a small and indirect way) from the punishment. Doesn't that sound much better?
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 13:55   #2
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: [Discuss] Cheating punishments

Yes, it does sound much better.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 13:58   #3
elviz
The PolarBear Militia

elviz is on a distinguished road

Indeed.
elviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 13:59   #4
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

I am sorry, I must have missed something, but since when are cheaters not just deleted anymore?

[edit: if this is true and cheaters don't get deleted then I think Rob has a good point]
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:05   #5
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

breaking the rules aint always cheating. some times its just breaking the rules.
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:07   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you're not removing roids then put the cheater's HCT research level back to base, so that he can't regrow so quickly with his ill-gotten roids.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:09   #7
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal2112
I am sorry, I must have missed something, but since when are cheaters not just deleted anymore?

[edit: if this is true and cheaters don't get deleted then I think Rob has a good point]
Most recent example would be the removal of roids from planets who were found to be violating the EULA, closed, then reopened with roid losses.

Execellent points.

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:13   #8
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
If you're not removing roids then put the cheater's HCT research level back to base, so that he can't regrow so quickly with his ill-gotten roids.
amazing idea
nice one
also, ia gree tho, removing roids from the universe is sick

[INS]Goafer
Goafer LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:23   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm not too bothered really on the punishments as long as they do punish the planet and are consistant but some of the ideas here do make alot of sense. Unless the roids are going to be returned to where they came (which might be hard to do) then it would make sense to leave them at the planet punished. Then the removal of XP and Fleet along with the removal of some of the HCT tech as Nonentity suggested would move them closer to where they should be and really punish them for cheating
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:26   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity

i like that one, its nice and evil

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 15:09   #11
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, same here.

I'm all about creative punishment...reducing their tech branches, locking fleetslots so they can't attack for awhile (or run any fleet they may have), the XP removal is ace too.

I'm still waiting for a 'hall of shame'...

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 17:26   #12
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

how about just destroy there light/medium/heavy factory and reset there ship research.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 17:40   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

At this rate we will be suggesting reset their planet to 0 excpet for roids
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 17:54   #14
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Bad idea, then we can't send them mass incomings due to score cap

Glad to hear everyone likes the HCT idea!
Unread 14 Apr 2005, 14:46   #15
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

the HCT idea is fantastic, then the roids stay about to be won/lost/fought over, however the planet gets no gain from them, also reseting XP to 0 is fair (or maybe 1/2 the XP if you think that is a little harsh), imo what you should be trying to do is reset the planet to the situation it was in prior to cheating, with a little extra punitive damage. and i feel this solution coves both still giving them a chance to continue playing the game.

taking fleets is a little harsh i think (except in the case of zik steeling). imo opinion this should be the STANDARD treatment for thoses deamed suitable for punishment, that is not decided to be severe enuf for closure.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2005, 14:52   #16
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Universe page Top 100 Cheaters?
Unread 14 Apr 2005, 22:04   #17
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

lol

[INS]Goafer
Goafer LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 05:46   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
Universe page Top 100 Cheaters?
Would that show players who cheat the most, or benefit the most from cheating?

Btw the HCT reduction was a brilliant idea. Nonentity, i didnt know you were _THAT_ evil - but i am glad that you are .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 20:39   #19
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
/me crosses fingers.

But then again they will just cheat there way back to the top with the broken xp.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote