User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:36   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
2 hour ticks

unfunny april fools.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:37   #2
elviz
The PolarBear Militia

elviz is on a distinguished road
Re: 2 hour ticks

I quit
elviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:39   #3
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

PA = dead if it is not a very unfunny april fools.

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:40   #4
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

making it a bit more believeable would have been more fun yeah :P
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:40   #5
Holyboy
pe0n

Holyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

every damn time they try it,
[HomaX] Forever!
Holyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:46   #6
p333333
p333333

p333333 can only hope to improve

it could be a joke because the post time changed from 31 mar to 1 april...
33:33:33
p333333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:53   #7
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

The post time has not changed. It's been the same all along. It's just unfortunate timing. We've been asking that the announcement be made earlier, but unfortunately it had to be tonight since we're shuffling in the morning.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:53   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

It's apparently (and very unfortunately) no joke

That being said, I'd suggest discussing ways to help out, rather than complain about how much it sucks.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:56   #9
Murador
The Dance King

Murador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of lightMurador is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, I fell for it
Murador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:11   #10
wimg

Would Jolt be interested in outside help (server, bandwidth, etc.) or is that out of the question ?
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:13   #11
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Ive tried to get a refund but Jolt have scammed us all, they changed signup agreement so you cant ask for money back and if you do, you must pay another £5.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:13   #12
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Jolt makes a LOT of money from pa, its a joke.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:16   #13
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I hope it's a joke

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:20   #14
MrPedantic
Banned

MrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to beholdMrPedantic is a splendid one to behold

of course its a joke, look at the date

If they were serious, about something like this they would have had a " this is not a joke " on it, given it being 1st April.
MrPedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:21   #15
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Jolt makes a LOT of money from pa, its a joke.
considering the staff doesn't get paid. all profit baby. We have the stupidest team on the internet. Hands down.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:28   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

lollyroffle*

*dont quote me after 12 tomoz
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:29   #17
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares if its a joke or not lets just wait and see
Nothing wrong with wating til shuffle to see what happens now is there

STOP OVER REACTING ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD AND PLEASE DONT QUIT COZ I WILL MISS YOU ALL.
Noah02

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:38   #18
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I'm starting a "buy 3 more credits" campaign right now. And I will lead it. Like a Cult. Who's with me? This is Jerry Maguire type shit.

Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:38   #19
Rember
Womble

Rember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura aboutRember has a spectacular aura about

cool, more sleep when 2 hr ticks, less incomings more friendly

ALL POSITIVE \o/

ROXOR SLEEP HERE I COME \o/
[12:17] <Gitchin> Rember your a womble!
[16:53] <SYMM> Rember your a womble! | [10:17:57] <Squidly> Rember, you're a womble
[19:28] <Filth> Rember your a womble! | [16:25] <remy|afk> Rember, you are a womble
[14:04] <Colt> Rember your a womble! | [16:22] <TVFreak> Rember U are a womble
[15:18] <Darkness> Rember U are a womble | [15:21] <Xerm|away> Rember U are a womble
[13:39:44] <illmatics> Rember your a womble
Rember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:40   #20
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rember
cool, more sleep when 2 hr ticks, less incomings more friendly

ALL POSITIVE \o/

ROXOR SLEEP HERE I COME \o/
and like no fun

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:40   #21
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
I'm starting a "buy 3 more credits" campaign right now. And I will lead it. Like a Cult. Who's with me? This is Jerry Maguire type shit.

I already bought 6

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:57   #22
Chika

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
I already bought 6
XONTAS
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:59   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It is a joke and a very bad one at that. As I was saying on IRC its like they never learn. they just go on repeating the same mistakes over and over again. At time they are like the Internets version of Prince Phillip and they simply fail to grasp the Impact they can have with a few badly choosen words.

Yes its April fools day and yes people expect a joke or two but when this is a game thats already been shut down once and which is still failing in the grand scale of things something like this is in many ways utterly believable. After all we havent really had any concrete promises of the games future, we havent been told anything about its official worth to jolt or it the numbers needed to substain the game all we have is some weak rumours about the fact jolt make a fortune off it which hardly fills anyone with a sense of secuirty.

Perhaps some of you may think i'm being a bit extreame but being a mod of these forums its infuriating to keep seeing them making comments which enflame a community which already distrsust them and jolt and in some case down right hates them. Especially when its more often then not left to us to clean their mess up. We do not want another r4 situation where an off the cuff comment by PATeam had a good number of customers, who were already irate due to Spinner going back on his promse to them that PA would never force payment and with them already being ripped off by a PA partner theSlammer, believing Spinner would take the money and run off to sunnier climates. Thankfully the foot in mouth moments since have been contained and havent hit those levels but if they continue one of these days it will.

The internet is a like a game of chinese whispers and things spread like wildfire but are always being exacgerated as it goes along and PAteam need to think before acting more rather than aiding this scaremongering in future
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:00   #24
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
I already bought 6

9 for me, the MUG that I am

Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:00   #25
Chika

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
It is a joke and a very bad one at that. As I was saying on IRC its like they never learn. they just go on repeating the same mistakes over and over again. At time they are like the Internets version of Prince Phillip and they simply fail to grasp the Impact they can have with a few badly choosen words.

Yes its April fools day and yes people expect a joke or two but when this is a game thats already been shut down once and which is still failing in the grand scale of things something like this is in many ways utterly believable. After all we havent really had any concrete promises of the games future, we havent been told anything about its official worth to jolt or it the numbers needed to substain the game all we have is some weak rumours about the fact jolt make a fortune off it which hardly fills anyone with a sense of secuirty.

Perhaps some of you may think i'm being a bit extreame but being a mod of these forums its infuriating to keep seeing them making comments which enflame a community which already distrsust them and jolt and in some case down right hates them. Especially when its more often then not left to us to clean their mess up. We do not want another r4 situation where an off the cuff comment by PATeam had a good number of customers, who were already irate due to Spinner going back on his promse to them that PA would never force payment and with them already being ripped off by a PA partner theSlammer, believing Spinner would take the money and run off to sunnier climates. Thankfully the foot in mouth moments since have been contained and havent hit those levels but if they continue one of these days it will.

The internet is a like a game of chinese whispers and things spread like wildfire but are always being exacgerated as it goes along and PAteam need to think before acting more rather than aiding this scaremongering in future
amen.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:03   #26
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

What wakey said.

PS - Neg'repping me for caring is ****ing pathetic

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:05   #27
Chika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
considering the staff doesn't get paid. all profit baby. We have the stupidest team on the internet. Hands down.
I have to clarify this, since i picked up 2 1337 negreps for it. In the sense of making the game "work", the PA team is excellent. In the sense that they work for nothing, they are stupid.
Someone mentioned dedication in one of the comments. Dedication is associated with being dedicated to something. For something in return. rather it be satisfaction, money, etc. With the amount of time the "team" puts into the game, its safe to say that they are not bringing in any real money from anywhere else. Dedicated to working for free at a game that loses tons of players every round is what I was pinpointing as being stupid.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:46   #28
Shoshuro

Shoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
Dedicated to working for free at a game that loses tons of players every round is what I was pinpointing as being stupid.
Erm strong words but at least give them a bravo for the effort. Keep in mind many online gaming communities grow cause people put effort for free. Of course others make money because of this but this is another case.

Anyway nice joke
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 04:18   #29
Silverchair

Silverchair is an unknown quantity at this point

IF this IS April fools joke.... how FKN STOOPID as I am pissed right off!!!

IF its true, forget playing game as 24 hrs to get ships back to base, omfg, pissor me right off!!
Silverchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 04:59   #30
Azphrodite
Azphrodite

Azphrodite is an unknown quantity at this point
2 hour tickage

I agree with the way this discussion is going. 2 hour ticks will cause a lot of unrest and will cause even more people to leave. However, if this rumour is true, which we will find out tomorrow, an intereting point was raised that maybe all unpaid accounts should be closed, therefore reducing the amoutn of space needed on a better server and allowing us our 1hr ticks. What does everyone think?

This may also lead to a number of players who currently have free accounts paying and thus saving the current awesome configuration of Planetarion, and helping the continuation of the good game that it is.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 05:09   #31
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

*sighs*
it -is- an april fools joke you know
incidently, heres jolts one : http://news.bbc.jolt.co.uk/1/hi/technology/1337.html
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 05:12   #32
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

It's ok Phil. Drink some more coffee.

Unread 1 Apr 2005, 05:28   #33
Azphrodite
Azphrodite

Azphrodite is an unknown quantity at this point

just noticed that kloopys thread has happy april fools at the bottom of it. Lot of fuss over nothig i guess
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 05:50   #34
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that golden roid stuff was all of it already. You have more of this up your sleeve? Like there won't be any shuffle?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:03   #35
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: 2 hour ticks

Well i thought it was funny. Nice one

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:40   #36
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Timmy
Well i thought it was funny. Nice one
Doubly so for people buying it
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:42   #37
fizzyxl
SiN

fizzyxl is an unknown quantity at this point

It was funny... damn facists ITS 1ST OF APRIL YOUR MEANT TO PLAY JOKES!!!!

garrr and the fact it was beleivable was part of the funny side.

BTW its obvious its april fools as they "are changing ticker" and tbh a redundant cs server would not require to cut back 50% of the game. Just cut out some of the "newer" features like roids and cov-ops :P

anyways GJ team.... you got me
fizzyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:45   #38
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

There any *possible* chance that most of the above people could get ye olde stick out from their .... spleen .... and lighten up a bit? Geeze!

For what it's worth, ya got me for all of 8.9 seconds. I logged in, read said announcement, blurted in alliance chan: "Fk! 2 hr ticks?! are they kidding?!"

Oh wait a tick.

Crud.

*sighs*
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 08:49   #39
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

I was laughing so much it hurt last night. Anyway, shuffle in 15 minutes. Good morning Planetarion.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:15   #40
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyxl
It was funny... damn facists ITS 1ST OF APRIL YOUR MEANT TO PLAY JOKES!!!!

garrr and the fact it was beleivable was part of the funny side.

BTW its obvious its april fools as they "are changing ticker" and tbh a redundant cs server would not require to cut back 50% of the game. Just cut out some of the "newer" features like roids and cov-ops :P

anyways GJ team.... you got me

Err... question, roids are new? =p
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:20   #41
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Some people need to get a sense of humour .
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:47   #42
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Some people need to get a sense of humour .
People have a sense of humour but this 'joke' was ill conceived and thats whats pissing people off. An April Fools joke is supposed to a bit left field, something which shouldnt really be believeable BUT because its been written makes you think twice. Now perhaps for PATeam it might be obvious that this wouldnt be true but for the community we are pretty much in the dark about Jolts intentions for the game and the threat of it being scaled back or shut down is something thats very real to us. You simply dont make jokes about things like this in these circumstances and if you do make the Joke you certainly dont do what Kloopy did and reinforce it thus giving it an even great sense of truth about it.

And the timing of the post was also very poor. They choose a time when there was not only a lack of active PATeam members but when the list of active mods was something like 'Me, Me, me oh and Me'. If you do feel you have to pull such misguided jokes you atleast make sure its done at a time when theres enough people around in official positions to squash the rumour if it looks to be getting out of control.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 11:12   #43
Kloopy
-Back Again-

We originally were going to leave it until the shuffle before we said it was an April 1st thing. But after about an hour there was some people who believed it without a doubt. We decided at that point to rename the news posting and start telling people it was a joke.

The thing about something like this is when we wanted to correct it, the news that we'd pulled it as a stunt would be as big as the original posting. It would spread like wildfire, just as the announcement did.

I don't think it was pitched too far into the believable, most people were simply unable to make up their minds to it's credence. Apologies to those who feel insulted that they fell for it and anyone who feels as though they were the butt of the joke. Have a happy month to you and Happy Birthday to anyone else who has a birthday this month.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 11:15   #44
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Moutain, mole-hill, making.

I see 3 threads on PD that seem to be related to this incidence. Suggestions, AD, AR, RPand GD have a grand total of 0. From what I can work out people had started to work out it was an April fools within an hour or so of the initial post about this, and Phil seems to have changed the announcement about 2 hours after it was posted to mention that it is indeed an April fools day joke.

That's a whole 2 hours of joke time! Now i realise mass hysteria may well have broken out on IRC (it didnt on the forums because i would see a whole host of deleted posts and threads) and baby orphans may well have cried while Spinner's body turned over in his grave but dont you think maybe you are taking this all a bit too seriously?

There are 8760 hours in a year, for most of those the PA community rip PA team to shreds (maybe justifiably in some cases), so on a traditional piss taking day PA team thought they would have a whole 2 hours (thats 0.02283% of the year) of fun at the community's expense.

So your main gripe seems to be about the forums, as i've said i cant see a problem over here. Next you mention IRC, were you inundated with PMs asking why PA was shutting down? I'ld guess that PA team members are more likely to have got the brunt of those questions.

Over the years I think you've said a hell of a lot of good things and come up with some cracking ideas, a lot of which i tried to push for while i was in PA team but as you know you tend not to be the most popluar guy in there, maybe its outbursts like this that dont help you. Sometimes in life you've got to take things with a pinch of salt and laugh at yourself.

In France once a radio station said that the law had changed so that you now had to drive on the left hand side of the road like in Britain. Now that is a bad April fool's joke, this isnt.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 11:53   #45
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

The only one who complains about this are those who actually believed in it for more then 10 seconds. They feel hurt and and they feel stupid and now they complain. Nothing new there...
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 11:53   #46
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Moutain, mole-hill, making.

I see 3 threads on PD that seem to be related to this incidence. Suggestions, AD, AR, RPand GD have a grand total of 0. From what I can work out people had started to work out it was an April fools within an hour or so of the initial post about this, and Phil seems to have changed the announcement about 2 hours after it was posted to mention that it is indeed an April fools day joke.

That's a whole 2 hours of joke time! Now i realise mass hysteria may well have broken out on IRC (it didnt on the forums because i would see a whole host of deleted posts and threads) and baby orphans may well have cried while Spinner's body turned over in his grave but dont you think maybe you are taking this all a bit too seriously?

There are 8760 hours in a year, for most of those the PA community rip PA team to shreds (maybe justifiably in some cases), so on a traditional piss taking day PA team thought they would have a whole 2 hours (thats 0.02283% of the year) of fun at the community's expense.

So your main gripe seems to be about the forums, as i've said i cant see a problem over here. Next you mention IRC, were you inundated with PMs asking why PA was shutting down? I'ld guess that PA team members are more likely to have got the brunt of those questions.

Over the years I think you've said a hell of a lot of good things and come up with some cracking ideas, a lot of which i tried to push for while i was in PA team but as you know you tend not to be the most popluar guy in there, maybe its outbursts like this that dont help you. Sometimes in life you've got to take things with a pinch of salt and laugh at yourself.

In France once a radio station said that the law had changed so that you now had to drive on the left hand side of the road like in Britain. Now that is a bad April fool's joke, this isnt.
My gripe isnt so much with this 'joke' alone though, as i made clear in my first post. Its the fact PATeam continually seem to fail to grasp the emotional connection people in this community have to the game. They have a habit acting first , thinking second and when you have a community thats already seen the game die once and a community whom doesnt feel that secure in the games future due to the stand offish way that Jolt insist the games run.

I mean yes alot of people got it was an April Fools Joke (me included) and yes thankfully most of the off the cuff comments in the past have been recovered before its done any lasting damage but its playing with fire to continue taking this approach. One of these days its not going to be recoverable and we will have another r4 situation on our hands.

PATeam/Jolt need to decide. They either take the Stand offish approach and act Professionally or the are open and act more friendly. A mixture of both however doesnt work at all well though
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 12:03   #47
Kloopy
-Back Again-

I disagree. We can take a fun and friendly but caring and professional approach. I've always tried to do that. If we're just chatting on the forums or IRC I'll have a joke around and occasionally I'm up for something like this April Fools, but as soon as we're talking about development or we're doing some code updates or someone has a support issue, we all go into serious and professional mode.

Perhaps we get the balance wrong sometimes, but I don't think we do a bad job as it in the whole, especially considering the level of Jolt support we get and that we're all doing this as volunteers. In fact, ie begs the question: Can we sensibly be expected to provide a professional front 24/7 that we're online? I think there's argument for an affirmitive responce. However on the other hand, it's a game. We're all here to have fun. It's not as if we're running a Government dole department or anything that requires professionalism all the time.

Apologies for a largely unstructured post, I'm trying to eat lunch and think whether, in my own opinion, this was a bad joke to play. I think that, despite the issues you've brought up, it was fine to play. There's no lasting damage done and it's given everyone something to talk about.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 12:09   #48
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
My gripe isnt so much with this 'joke' alone though, as i made clear in my first post. Its the fact PATeam continually seem to fail to grasp the emotional connection people in this community have to the game. They have a habit acting first , thinking second and when you have a community thats already seen the game die once and a community whom doesnt feel that secure in the games future due to the stand offish way that Jolt insist the games run.

I mean yes alot of people got it was an April Fools Joke (me included) and yes thankfully most of the off the cuff comments in the past have been recovered before its done any lasting damage but its playing with fire to continue taking this approach. One of these days its not going to be recoverable and we will have another r4 situation on our hands.

PATeam/Jolt need to decide. They either take the Stand offish approach and act Professionally or the are open and act more friendly. A mixture of both however doesnt work at all well though
Stop whining.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 13:00   #49
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

Can we please leave April fools jokes to alliance hcs and the like... Bit confusing if a new players sees pa team stating changes like that
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2005, 09:55   #50
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Nice April fools! I did a similar thing on a website I run, except I said we had been bought out

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote