User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 7 Jan 2005, 20:51   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Cheap .co.uk domains?

Posting on behalf of Newt whose account was banned by me but i dont have the ability to unban it .

Yo dudes! Thought I'd mosy on down to these here mighty forums and pick all your brains. I'm making a website, and want to register a .co.uk domain! Not to mention 1000mb storage - I'll need php/mysql/cgi/etc support - but not much bandwidth for the first year.

Any suggestions for companies/websites? I'm a poor student so has to be cheap. Finally ... I might need help coding some of the website - like adding one or two features in:
  • email addresses
  • IRC bouncers
  • forums
  • password stuff
  • CGI IRC
  • etc.

Thanks for any help.

Newt

Last edited by JC; 7 Jan 2005 at 23:50.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:50   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Cheap .co.uk domains?

You'll not be able to set up an IRC bouncer without shell access which is far from standard in a web-hosting package. Similarly CGI-IRC will require the host to permit socket access which also isn't standard practice.

Forums are easy enough, your best option is probably phpBB which has a vBB look and feel but is free. They're also fairly easily hackable into a portal-styled site, and can be linked into any code you write without too much hassle, the DB isn't overly complex and there are similar integrations detailed online roundabout.

A few forum types (lo Struct) use www.impulsed.net which stemmed from PA people I believe, though I've not used them so can't vouch for or against them.
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 21:58   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My friend hosts a site with impulsed.net, hasn't had any problems with it afaik.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 22:03   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

isn't cgiirc rather resource hungry?

-mist
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 11:53   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
A few forum types (lo Struct) use www.impulsed.net
\o/

Impulsed is good. Haven't had any problems with them so far. Also the service on IRC is very nice.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:13   #6
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

I could host you in the US

Price for a 1000mb space: 100 euros a year, with 20gb of bandwidth a month. No bouncers though. I can register a .co.uk for 15 euros
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 11:15   #7
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

www.flump.net, been with them for 2 years, no problems, lots of spec.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 14:57   #8
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

impulsed.net is great, you can contact slidey on irc, #impulsed on netgamers.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 17:16   #9
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

www.uh-hosting.co.uk
Unread 24 Jan 2005, 18:15   #10
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

www.1and1.co.uk

something like £5 for 2 years registration of a .co.uk and they you choose what hosing you want. Excelent service.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 02:37   #11
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

http://www.apisnetworks.com/

1&1 r evil

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 12:15   #12
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Try mailing a friend of mine who hosts and can register domains; [email protected]
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 15:40   #13
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I use www.hostlogical.com found them great and stupidly cheap. Just got my second website through them, not sure if they can do everything you want but its worth emailing them to see
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 21:49   #14
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
I could host you in the US

Price for a 1000mb space: 100 euros a year, with 20gb of bandwidth a month. No bouncers though. I can register a .co.uk for 15 euros
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 14:16   #15
AcornDomains.co

Try my signature link or on AcornDomains.co.uk

.co.uk domains are £6.09 for 2 years including email and web forwarding. Full control panel.
Their hosting isn't the cheapest option tho, you may to look elsewhere for that.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 13:11   #16
ben

ben has a spectacular aura aboutben has a spectacular aura about

I have used impulsed since before they started and have had no problems with them.
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 13:22   #17
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

I pay about the same as the Impulsed gold plan, but have forty times as much space, more bandwidth, and a 30-domain reseller account.

Do they offer anything that would make switching worthwhile? Their site seems to be low on specifics.