User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 4 Nov 2003, 19:47   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Email Systems ?

As you might recall, i'm doing an email related final year uni project thingey, but i'm not having a great load of luck in finding new systems that other folks have proposed.

Google and sourceforge didnt help last time i checked

anyone got any links/ideas for places to look ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 21:37   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Email Systems ?

Do you mean instead of SMTP? Or do you mean things like RFC3463, an extension to SMTP?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2003, 22:18   #3
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

on the subject, anyone know any freeware SMTP servers for windows, so that I dont have to change STMP servers everytime I move my laptop to another ISP?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 11:40   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
Do you mean instead of SMTP? Or do you mean things like RFC3463, an extension to SMTP?
alternatives to SMTP , POP3, and IMAP to be exact :/
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 12:30   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In that case the answer is:
No really viable ones that I'm aware of. I'd say talk about past systems, but SMTP has been around since the year dot pretty much.
I guess POP3 and IMAP4 are a bit newer (was there ever a POP2 or POP1 in public use? Ditto for IMAP.).
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 12:43   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

that'd explain my lack of finding anything then :\

extended SMTP is something i can maybe look at, but i'd hoped to find at least a few proposed new systems and things
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 14:05   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A bit more thinking reminded me I'd seen this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/33661.html

I also remember some article on there about some guy proposing some sort of secure authenticated email system, but I can't remember any details or find the article.

The problem with any form of secure, authenticated email system is it destroys the simplicity of the current setup. At the moment, anyone can set up an SMTP server anywhere and send some mail with no need for connections to other services, safe in the knowledge that assuming network conditions are OK etc, it will just work.
Once you start messing about with authentication (think SSL certificates) then it suddenly becomes a lot harder to set up a mail server.
Of course, some people argue this is the whole point and would help stop spam etc, but for the average administrator it'd be one more pain in the arse.
Unread 5 Nov 2003, 16:43   #8
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Might be useful:

DJB's mail page
DJB's Internet Mail structure
Internet Mail 2000
QMQP
QMTP
LMTP - check the RFC URL's here
Spoofed From Prevention
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote