User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 30 Aug 2003, 14:10   #1
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet problems

Im having some problems with connecting to the internet, and im not sure wheter its my modem, my PC or NTL being gay. The modem connects at various speeds ranging from 30 - 40 kbps, Wheter this is meant to happen I dont have a clue but either way its not that which is bugging me (though if anyone could tell me if this is normal or not Id appreciate it). The problem is every so often when im on the net the entire thing goes tits up. It suddenly decides it doesnt want to connect to any websites, Ive tried reconnecting and restating to see if that works, which doesnt. The only thing that works is creating a new connection, but that soon decides to die on me so its just like one big vicious circle. My PC is running windows 2000 pro, my modem is a HSP56 world Micromodem,and im connected to NTL.

ta
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 14:15   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Try rebooting the modem.
I'm on cable and I have a cable modem downstairs. Sometimes it just stops sending or receiving data for some odd reason. A modem reboot fixes the problem for me.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 00:42   #3
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

How'd I go about doing that? I tried reinstalling the modem, which doesnt work
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 00:48   #4
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by insane_in_da_membrane
How'd I go about doing that? I tried reinstalling the modem, which doesnt work

unplug it from the power socket

wait 5 mins

plug it back
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 11:20   #5
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

Its internal, so how'd I go about doing that?
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 13:31   #6
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Its internal, so how'd I go about doing that?

are we talking about a 56k modem ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:33   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
are we talking about a 56k modem ?
Prolly not, as he's on about BroadBand. There are internal ADSL modems as far as I know, but they are not THAT common (in this region).

Anyway, since it's not a driver issue (you reinstalling the modem etc etc) it might be something with your provider. I'd call them and ask them if they can do a signal check.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:44   #8
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

actually, it would be 56k
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:55   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
First couple of things I would try is connecting to your ISPs' website, if that works and others don't then I'd say their link is down, or if connecting to the IP address for the website works but not the URL then they could be having problems with their DNS servers (or something wrong with your DNS settings).

Not too certain about Win 2000, but I know with 98 I used to have problems simular where I had to kill the 'rnaapp.exe' service to get things working again.

The only other option is to try re-installing your modem drivers (if applicable) or getting updated ones.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 16:03   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
actually, it would be 56k
oh damn... I mixed this thread up with the FTP thread.