User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 28 Aug 2003, 15:14   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
VNC over SSH (ooh, fun...)

NOTE: Just to make this even more fun, all machines involved are Windows machines (XP Pro on both).

I've been looking at http://www.realvnc.com/ and thier VNC client/server and trying to use thier guidelines on setting it up via SSH.
However, it's not the most clearly written thing in the world (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html) and I'm slightly confused.

The configuration I'm trying to work goes thusly:

Local PC with VNC Client ---> SSH Tunnel over Internet ---> Remote PC

I know I need to set up SSH on the local PC to forward the request for port 5900 over SSH to the remote PC. What I'm slightly confused about is exactly what needs doing in terms of software.

I need an SSH server on the local pc to do the forwarding, right?
From what I can see there's no mention of needing to run anything SSH related on the "target" - the remote pc. Am I correct?
Is an SSH client involved at any point and where should it be if it is?

Thanks,
megla (with a slight headache)

(queball messing around: I turned off email notification to see if that's what's messing things up)

Last edited by queball; 29 Aug 2003 at 03:57.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 03:58   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Still got any problems?
Unread 29 Aug 2003, 14:57   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Nope - it's all good ta.

Unread 29 Aug 2003, 22:40   #4
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
also: www.tightvnc.com
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 15:24   #5
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Would it not have been easier to use Windows XP integrated desktop sharing though? Last time i checked RDP was a lot more bandwidth friendly than VNC, and you get session encryption thrown in to boot.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 23:08   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I distrust XP's "remote support" type features ever since the release of service pack 1 and all the accusations that went along with it.
I'd rather use a third party app which I'm more inclined to believe does only what it says it does.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 15:22   #7
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Remote desktop is provided seperate from this remote support lark, that requires an invitation and ive never really cared about it. The remote desktop from WinXP is based on Terminal Server and most the code has been ripped from 2k Adv Server. Just as a little note, Terminal Services have been around since the days of NT4 so they are one of the few decent enterprise level applications from MS imo. Just seems your putting in a lot of hassle when not only there is an alternative, but in my opinion a better one (and you already have it!).