User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Apr 2003, 12:16   #1
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Kazaa

Can anybody tell me how to block this bastard of a p2p app ?

I've tried the blocking of port 1214 as suggested by webbies but this no longer seems to work.

Help!
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 13:41   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
When you say block it what do you actually mean. If you wish to stop it altogether then just uninstall it but if your just wanting to block people connecting to you then thats fairly easy to do. Although I dont quite feel the need to tell you how to do it simply becuase the only reason you would wish to do this is to leech and leechers are the sum of the p2p networks. If people want to grab others files then they should share their own files
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 13:48   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Wakey, perhaps the man has a network and wants to stop his brother from using KaZaa because it uses too much traffic?

If he want to leech and not share he should go download the latest KaZaa lite, cause you can disable sharing there.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:05   #4
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Wakey, perhaps the man has a network and wants to stop his brother from using KaZaa because it uses too much traffic?

If he want to leech and not share he should go download the latest KaZaa lite, cause you can disable sharing there.
insert housemates where there is brother and you have it.

i just need away to stop kazaa from eating all the bandwidth when some of us want to play games. going to each person and asking is getting on my tits (especially when they are sleeping or some ****).
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:31   #5
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
insert housemates where there is brother and you have it.

i just need away to stop kazaa from eating all the bandwidth when some of us want to play games. going to each person and asking is getting on my tits (especially when they are sleeping or some ****).
reg hack?
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:33   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Have you checked that you block the target/outgoing port 1214? Port 1214 is listened to by supernodes, so blocking the target port 1214 should do the trick.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 15:26   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
the only reason you would wish to do this is to leech
As soon as KaZaA allows you to control your max upload bandwidth like several other p2p applications do, I will have no problems with sharing files while working on my computer.

But having to wait ages for a simple internet page to load because you have KaZaA running in the background which is letting through your html requests at a rate of one per two minutes is not fun. Especially not when you're a Chello user and have a crap upload rate to begin with.

I doubt people would be running SETI@Home if it took the CPU cycles it wanted, rather than the CPU cycles you're not using.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 18:20   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If I remember correctly, Kazaa 2 can listen on any port you like can it not, including port 80, for the exact purpose of avoiding being blocked.
I'm not sure if it needs a specific port to connect though.

I'm with you here on the bandwidth issue - the program would be several lines further up the pages in my good books if they would just include a damn throttle in the thing.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 20:57   #9
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
Although I dont quite feel the need to tell you how to do it simply becuase the only reason you would wish to do this is to leech and leechers are the sum of the p2p networks. If people want to grab others files then they should share their own files
if i block kazaa's ports to stop it working, how am i going to leech exactly ?
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:07   #10
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
I'm with you here on the bandwidth issue - the program would be several lines further up the pages in my good books if they would just include a damn throttle in the thing.
Am I really that wrong when I say it HAS this option?
I know for sure it was included in the old original Kazaa 1.x. And my Kazaa Lite ++ 2.x has it as well.
-> Options, -> Advanced Tab, Maximum upload bandwidth [kilobits]
Goes in steps though, ie. 24, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, ... kbps.

It only works after restarting or waiting a bit.

There is also an option (and I think it has always been there) to "Disable sharing of files".

Please check your settings again, or just use Kazaa Lite, which really is better.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:17   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What we're looking for is a download throttle too - ie. to stop some other git on the network hogging all the bandwidth and screwing gaming pings up.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:04   #12
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by JetLinus
Am I really that wrong when I say it HAS this option?
I know for sure it was included in the old original Kazaa 1.x. And my Kazaa Lite ++ 2.x has it as well.
-> Options, -> Advanced Tab, Maximum upload bandwidth [kilobits]
Goes in steps though, ie. 24, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, ... kbps.

It only works after restarting or waiting a bit.

There is also an option (and I think it has always been there) to "Disable sharing of files".

Please check your settings again, or just use Kazaa Lite, which really is better.
The bandwidth throttle isnt much use when you have cable with an upload speed of 12kps and with recent releases of Kazaa the participation level has proved to be useful so stopping uploading all together isnt much of an option either.

Last edited by Kumnaa; 7 Apr 2003 at 13:25.
Kumnaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 13:45   #13
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Its just occured to me that i didnt block udp packets as well as tcp packets on port 1214, I'll have to try that when i get back home.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 14:30   #14
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Its just occured to me that i didnt block udp packets as well as tcp packets on port 1214, I'll have to try that when i get back home.
Kazaa does not use UPD packets.

Jester
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 14:50   #15
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Kazaa does not use UPD packets.

Jester
it does according to other sources...i'll test when i get back home
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 20:32   #16
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
with recent releases of Kazaa the participation level has proved to be useful so stopping uploading all together isnt much of an option either.
I disagree, if I wanted mine to be 1000 it would be in a matter of minutes. I generally try to hold it around the 2-300 mark though as having it at 1000 kinda screams HACKED! Obviously this renders the whole system relatively pointless.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 22:48   #17
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
I disagree, if I wanted mine to be 1000 it would be in a matter of minutes. I generally try to hold it around the 2-300 mark though as having it at 1000 kinda screams HACKED! Obviously this renders the whole system relatively pointless.

I only have a 15gb harddisk and a very low upload cap, so storing files and letting other users download them isnt exactly an option. The fact that those with lower participation level have less access to files than those that are very active is clearly discriminating. Once i get a proper computer, with a proper harddisk, and a proper connection I might consider reverting back to normal Kazaa. Alas, when that moment comes, everyone will be at 1000 anyway, so it wont matter.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 03:13   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
I only have a 15gb harddisk and a very low upload cap, so storing files and letting other users download them isnt exactly an option. The fact that those with lower participation level have less access to files than those that are very active is clearly discriminating. Once i get a proper computer, with a proper harddisk, and a proper connection I might consider reverting back to normal Kazaa. Alas, when that moment comes, everyone will be at 1000 anyway, so it wont matter.
I think you misunderstood me, when I said a level of 1000 screams HACKED I meant it really is hacked in many cases, as is my 200-300. If it drops too low apply a quick hack and reverse the flow, as you download your rating rises. Once it reaches a suitable level just put things back to normal again and hey presto, a reasonable rating
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 13:29   #19
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

im going down the route of lowering the priority of persistant offender's packets now :/
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 14:13   #20
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone with Kazaa lite is auto set at 1000 anyway.
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 05:37   #21
BOB_LOST
Banned

BOB_LOST is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.netlimiter.com/
BOB_LOST is offline   Reply With Quote