User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 13:33   #1
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Frabjulousness :)

Fancy a full RH8 desktop through your browser? http://www.workspot.com/ will give you one for $9.95/month.

How ace is that

From their list of uses...
Quote:
Try GNU/Linux, learn to use it, use it, and use its software: on your personal workspot, from any Internet connected machine, anywhere, anytime.

Use your Workspot to use ssh, from any Internet-connected PC.

Use any X-window program that runs on Linux, from any Internet-connected PC.

Look back at your server from outside your firewall.

Get e-mail, and view it with a real application, such as Ximian Evolution, which no one can spy on. It's faster than any webmail; it's webmail without the web pages.

Web browse from your workspot, which is on another server besides your own, if you need to: for privacy reasons; to check the view from the outside your environment; or avoid using http ports.

An instant development environment for web applications, with a unix face, for you programmers out there who like to program but don't like to futz with environments.

Flexible IT: Workspot turns any Internet-capable PC or Workstation into a thin-client.
I'm gonna have to sign up for one of these.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!

Last edited by Gayle29uk; 24 Jan 2003 at 13:38.
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 14:23   #2
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I was about to say "nothing new" then realised it was through A Browser! Nice!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 14:46   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
I was about to say "nothing new" then realised it was through A Browser! Nice!

M.
I thought so too Get an Xterm maximised and Robert is indeed your father's brother.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:25   #4
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
I see the number of peopel buying an account there increase once Planetarion comes online again ..

multi-age ah0y
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 22:03   #5
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
that looks v. good

pity there's no such windows or mac alternative as I could use Photoshop 7 while using the iMacs @ school by connecting to the desktop since the iMacs @ school have ****ty v5 etc. :[

are there any hdd space etc. or 'virtual' space you're limited to? ie: hdd (virtual), RAM etc. ?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 22:12   #6
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
FAQ

Quote:
Their FAQ says
How much storage is available?

Workspot isn't really a massive remote disk-drive service ... at the moment, on our cluster of reliable raid-5 servers, we're providing 100MB of storage per user.

What slice of resources do I get?

Based on our previous experience, it's enough to do normal work. We don't want to put a number on it, because we don't want people treating their workspot like a sponge, and squeezing out their last drop of quota. We just want people to use it for human work, so that the system's usefulness as a toolbox becomes apparent. We think this usefulness will help ensure GNU/Linux's success as a desktop.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 01:02   #7
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
since the iMacs @ school have ****ty v5 etc. :[
dont mock v5. Its better than the crufty n00b friendly newer versions.
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 01:50   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It takes several years just to find what you're after in PS7.
But then I don't use it that often - perhaps you get used to it in time.