User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Jul 2006, 13:41   #1
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
[Electricity] Ampere/Volt Help

Someone gave me one of these but the power adapter that came with it doesn't power the unit.

I had a look at the manual for the unit and it specifies that it requires a 5V, 1.3 amp power supply. The one supplied has an output of DC0.5V, 3.0 amp.

I went around the house and found a power supply with a similar plug, and found one with an output of 12V, 1.6 amp. It powers the unit, but I'm scared it might damage it on the long run.

Do we have any electricians in the house?

Would using the latter power supply (output of 12V, 1.6 amp) damage the new toy I got (input of 5V, 1.3 amp) ?

Or should I go buy a new power supply for it?

thx
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 13:47   #2
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Re: [Electricity] Ampere/Volt Help

get ur arse down to an electrical shop and get the right plug or u prob will **** upthe appliance

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 13:49   #3
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
get ur arse down to an electrical shop and get the right plug or u prob will **** upthe appliance
closest supermarket is 20km away.

I'll have to do that next week
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 14:24   #4
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

The 12V power supply would effectively kill your new toy, even at the same amperage. Supplying too much voltage at the correct amperage will fry the appliance. Since amperage is the rate at which it draws the current, you also need this to be correct, if you go over it will draw what it needs, but the extra amperage may decrease the life span, if you go under, it will try to draw more than what is provided and blow out your power supply, or ruin your appliance.

Edit: I googled your radio and found on the manufacturers website a 5V 1.5amp power supply which would probably be best for you, however it was listed as out of stock.

Last edited by jt25man; 29 Jul 2006 at 14:38.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 14:40   #5
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

supplying to much voltage to your new toy can and probably will destroy your toy. Maybe if you added some resistors to reduce the voltage levels might get it running properly but i wouldn't recommend that if you're not used to dealing with electric.
best is to buy a new power supply that matches your radio/whatever

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2006, 16:10   #6
Flavius

thanks guys.

I'll wait a bit more and get one next week.