User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 15:11   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
How much would you spend on a new PC?

As I was bored I thought I'd go along to a website (I went to www.overclockers.co.uk in the end) and price me up the PC which, if I had the money availble, I'd want to build.
It came to a scary ammount of pounds (see below).

What would you spend? It's surprising how much the damn things go up as you find more stuff you want! Post your build cost below if you can be arsed. Here's mine (please note, this is base unit only - excludes monitor/kb/mouse/speakers/scanner/printer/etc).
As you may be able to see from the parts, I
a) like as little noise as possible which has pushed the price up somewhat
b) like playing games

Code:
Antec Sonata Piano Black Quiet Case
   includes 380W TruePower Silent PSU             £76.95  
AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2800+ 333FSB                £94.25  
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 Motherboard           £68.95  
  and Asus WiFi-b Wireless Add-on-Card            £19.00  
2 x Kingston HyperX 512MB DDR PC2700 CAS2.0 RAM   £145.00  
2 x Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V 120GB          £125.50  
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate 128MB DDR   £263.00  
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX Certified       £71.40  
LiteOn LDW-811S 8x DVD±R/±RW Drive                £89.40  
LiteON LTN-525(S) 52x CD-ROM                      £11.20  
Vantec Nexus NXP-301 Fan & Light Controller       £24.50  
Zalman CNPS7000A-Alcu Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler      £28.50  
Papst 4412FM 120mm Fan (4 pin)                    £18.30  
2 x Akasa Serial ATA PSU Converter                £5.90  
2 x Akasa Serial ATA 60cm Silver Data Cable       £9.00  
2 x Vantec Fan Vibration Dampening Kit - 120mm    £5.50  
Vantec Vibration Dampening Kit for Power Supply   £4.50  

Subtotal £1,060.85   
Shipping (Amtrak Next Day (Mon-Fri) - UK Mainland) £14.25   
VAT £188.17   

Total £1,263.27
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:07   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: How much would you spend on a new PC?

If you wanted to hack that price down (I know you're only messing about)
You could lose the Audigy, the NF2 Deluxe should have the onboard-Soundstorm
Is that the 2mb or 8mb cache for the drives?

From Komplett.co.uk get
OEM Barton 2500+ £61(no doubt easily OCs to 2800+ with that HyperX
The same GFX @ £253.80 (OR Sapph Atlantis Pro Lite-Retail for £205.63 With Arctic Cooler from PC World £9.99)
512mb TwinMOS PC3200 w/ Winbond chips for £56 each

Get 1-3 day service aswell, no real need for that next day stuff :/

For me, it would be a waste of money to get an entire new system from ground up.
but I'd upgrade to
A64 3000+ about £168 (might just go for a A64 3200+ for £208
ASUS K8V Deluxe about £110
1024mb TwinMOS for £112
CDRW dunno what model but anything would be faster than my current 4x4x32
Probably new PSU, a 480W Antec (pricey :S)

I'd stick with my current case, mouse/keyboard, 4.1 speakers, might need to get a soundcard, fans/controller and i already have an R9800pro
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:19   #3
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Overpriced CPU (2600 is £30 cheaper)
Overpriced Case (£80 for a glorified metal box? Does it do your laundry too?)
Hideously overpriced graphics card (I dont need to say it)

Otherwise, "I'd hit it"

Edit: oh, and I have one of those Lite-On DVD-RWs. Ace fun.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 20:24   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Code:
Aopen H600B Midi Tower (incl. 350W PSU)		        E  129,00
EPoX 8RDAE Motherboard (nForce2 chipset)		E   59,00
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton)				E  165,00
Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu Cooler				E   45,00
1 x Kingston 512Mb DDRAM (PC3200)                       E   82,00
1 x S-ATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160,0Gb		E  126,00
Club3D ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb			E  309,00
SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1				E   35,00
NEC Floppydrive	(black front)				E   19,00
LiteOn XJ-HD16x	(DVD, CD)				E   32,00
LiteOn LDW-811S (DVD-R/DVD-RW, CD-R/CD-RW)		E  159,00
2 x Sweex NIC (10/100Mbps)				E   12,00

GRAND TOTAL IN EURO					E 1172,00
GRAND TOTAL IN UK POUND					£  812,83
Slightly less features at a reduced cost; I'm not much of a case modder and don't want all the extra fans. The single silent CPU cooler should do well enough. Slightly less HD space, and 512Mb RAM is enough at this point. Don't particularly care about sound, so the Live! Player can do the job. I need the 2 NIC's for my cable connection and home network; I'm not entirely sure if the mobo is or is not equipped with LAN, but for E6 a NIC, that's not a big tradeoff

(Obviously E is for euro, for some reason the forum won't accept the euro symbol.)
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 23:15   #5
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 23:51   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Whenever I enter a euro symbol, it changes to a question mark when I post
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 00:04   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Paging Karm to thread yadda yadda

Also, minus monitor I wouldn't expect to pay any more than £650-750 for a 'good' machine.
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 00:42   #8
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 01:00   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

I press ALT GR + 4 on my keyboard to get the € sign

I also note that normal ALT button does not work and there is an € next to the '4' key, with the $ above it.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 02:38   #10
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

That case is quite nice though, visually, for working with, it's quiet and it has nice blue lights on the front
Don't know if i'd pay 80 quid for a case though.
You can make a decent PC (obviously not for playing Half life 2 on) for about 300-400 quid though, which is about all I'd pay at the minute as I'm skint
(not including monitor)

oh yeah whatever you do be ridiculously careful when handling that case because you will be so pissed off if it gets just one scratch on it, even on the plastic.
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 02:59   #11
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

€€€
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 03:18   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
???
DAMN YOU ALL FOR DOING THE EURO SYMBOL WHILE I CAN'T
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 04:58   #13
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Since i'm not playing games much, i would rather buy a new pc that don't make alot of noice and don't care to much about ithe cpu. Aslong as i would be able to play BF1942 mods on it.

Even though i like to play bf1942, there one thing i would consider before buying a new pc(if i can afford it), and that is if it would be able to play new John Carmack games. That's because i'm a big fan of Quake 3, so i would like to be able to play the next Quake game.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 11:46   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

ctrl+alt+5

€€€
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 16:10   #15
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

£€¤$¥¢₤₣₩₪€¤₩₤£$¢₪¥$¢€₤¥£₪₣₩¤
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 20:03   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
ctrl+alt+5

???
That's how I do them. Once I post the message though, it converts them all to question marks. Not sure where it goes wrong tbh; my machine displays them correctly, the forums apparently do as well
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 20:08   #17
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyp
£€¤$¥¢₤₣₩₪€¤₩₤£$¢₪¥$¢€₤¥£₪₣₩¤
I love you
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2004, 09:02   #18
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Once I've finished uni and hopefully find a job, I wouldn't mind spending a lot of money on a system, but probably no more than about £1500 including all those exclusions.
Very quickly, at Scan, I knocked this one up:

Code:
Casetek 1018BM Black Metal Case (no PSU)  £47.59   

450W CWT + SATA Quiet Dual Fan AMD/P4 App Active Fan Control Active PFC £34.65 

Sony DWU-14ABK Black ±DVD +RW(x4) +R(x4) -R(x4) -RW (x2) CDR(x24) CDRW (x16) CDRead x32 DVD x8 OEM £79.84

Sony BLACK DVD-ROM Drive x16-DVD x40-CDROM Internal IDE £23.50 

1.44Mb Black SONY Floppy Disk Drive  £5.28  

Abit AN7 Guru - nForce2 Ultra-400FSB USB2+A133/SATA Raid+Dual DDR400+AGP8x £79.30

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 3200+ *400 FSB* Barton (2.20GHz) with AMD Heat Sink Fan 3Yr £240.08  

Corsair TwinX 1024 MB 3200 CAS 2 ( 2 x 512MB PC3200 184 pin MATCHED PAIR DDR CAS 2) £148.05 

36.7Gb Western Digital Raptor Enterprise Serial ATA (ATA-150) (10Krpm, 8MB Cache) 5yr  £92.94  

120Gb Western Digital WD1200JD Serial ATA (ATA-150) (7200rpm, 8MB Cache) 3yr   £83.43 

2x 1m Serial ATA Cable Certified  £2.94   

Hercules 256Mb ATI Radeon 9800XT Classic ViVo  £352.44  

2x ROUND ATA133 Certified IDE Cable 90cm  £4.68   

Round Floppy Drive Cable  £1.47

3x  Coolermaster Internal Case Fan 80mm FAS-B83   £8.78 

Net Total   £1,025.49     
Carriage   £15.00     
V.A.T   £182.09     
TOTAL   £1,222.58
I would add a 16ms 17" black/silver TFT, wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse and some Creative 5.1 speakers. Would probably be looking at somewhere just under £2000 for that. Oh, and that DVD writer would not be the normal choice, just what they had in stock. Seen it before, looks ok though.
Gone for that ickle Raptor drive as the OS drive (Windows XP Pro) and the 120GB would be the 'dirt drive'.
If I were to buy a system now, I'd drop the case, the 120GB, the CPU to a 2800+, the GFX to a Gainward 5700 Ultra, the RAM to 512MB, all of the cables (bar 1 SATA) and the optical and floppies (swap for 1 8x writer and spray the bezel silver). I'd add the new components to my system at home and possibly even stretch to that TFT...

(EDIT: That upgrade mentioned above would cost me £950... £300 of which is monitor - ridiculous upgrade really.)

Last edited by SyPh0n; 12 Jan 2004 at 09:10.
SyPh0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2004, 15:00   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If money were no object then I'd be adding dual 16ms TFTs (not sure on 15" or 17" given 15" is supposedly equiv. to a 17" monitor) as I already work with dual CRTs and I like the extra flexibility it gives.
I'd also NOT bother with directly connected speakers - I'd run the SPDIF to a properly sourced dolby digital decoder and speakers - a set you'd buy from a Hi-Fi store. The problem with creative's solutions (I know, I own one) tend to be that while you get great bass from the sub and crystal clear trebble from the mini satelites, there's not a lot of midrange. As this is the system I'd use for watching films and so-on, good sound quality is definately something that concerns me.
I already have a black wirless RF (none of that IR shit here thank you) keyboard and mouse. Would consider changing to bluetooth if it turns out to have any real advantages, but I'd have to look into that.
I've stuck to Seagate drives because of thier superb noise control features. I currently have my best PC in my room and it tends to get left on 24/7 (this one's been on non-stop for 15 days for example). I can't see this changing, and the last thing I want is to be kept awake by high pitched whining from a poorly shielded harddrive.

Unread 13 Jan 2004, 12:19   #20
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Two 15" 16ms TFT's would be good, but imagine two 17" TFTs next to one another. Still wouldn't take up much space, and if you go back to one screen (as I understand it games are one screen?) you've got a nice large screen to focus on.
I've got a noisy tower, and my missus refuses to sleep with the thing whirring away in the background even with the fans disabled. It's got 5 80mm fans in, but I hope to drop that to 3 and 1 120mm fan at the rear. I've never noticed any noise from my HDD (80GB WD Caviar 8mb 7200 thingy), probably drowned out by the total of 9 fans inside the case anyway.
My 'ideal' PC would be on it's own in it's own room, not my bedroom. I already have a DVD player and 21" screen to play DVD's on, so it's not worth the effort to play it on my PC which is noisy and the bass from the 5.1 5300's I have is occassionally floor shattering, even on virtually off - too noisy when peeps are in bed. I'd still take these speakers for my ideal PC though, as they're good for gaming and music anyway.
I'd perhaps have a small form factor PC in the bedroom like the mini-ITX just for a bit of music, web browsing, late night work, bit of downloading, but it's probably pointless if I have a spare room for the behemoth to sit vibrating in.

Back to TFT's - I'm sure I saw an AGNeovo (?) screen 19"@15ms... £900+ or something. Is 15ms out yet?
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 07:42   #21
Gladstone Ghost

about $23,000 AUD
Unread 17 Jan 2004, 09:49   #22
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyPh0n
Oh, and that DVD writer would not be the normal choice, just what they had in stock. Seen it before, looks ok though.
DO NOT BUY SONY

on topic: i really dont want to think about it. thats just too depressive, because i dont have any money whatsoever right now.
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 01:51   #23
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Edit: oh, and I have one of those Lite-On DVD-RWs. Ace fun.
me 2, and i am actually in love with it. heh