User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jan 2004, 16:16   #1
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough
multiple instances of iexplore.exe

Recently I find that every time I shut down my computer I need to force end several iexplore processes, even if I have closed all the internet explorers. So I've taken a look at the processes running when my computer is on, and I find several instances of iexplore.exe - I current have 5 of them even though I only have 2 internet explorer windows open. It's almost as if they don't terminate properly when I close them and leaves stray processes behind!! :smith:

Does anyone know what's going on?

PS I've already scanned for viruses online, but they didn't find anything...
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 16:32   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: multiple instances of iexplore.exe

scan for spyware using Spybot Search & Destroy or use Ad-aware.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:24   #3
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough

I have.

And also, is it normal to have 5 instances of svchost?
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:27   #4
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

when you boot your pc, before opening any internet explorer, are there any occurences of IE open ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 17:38   #5
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

I don't think so, no.

oh yea, I've just discovered - those rogue iexplore.exe instances seem to "fade away" gradually - they're only using up 300K or ram now compared to 10M half an hour ago. What's going on? Shouldn't it just go away immediately after I close the window??
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 18:02   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed of Chaos
I don't think so, no.

oh yea, I've just discovered - those rogue iexplore.exe instances seem to "fade away" gradually - they're only using up 300K or ram now compared to 10M half an hour ago. What's going on? Shouldn't it just go away immediately after I close the window??
yes they should, SVCHOST is normal
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 21:16   #7
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

you've quoted the wrong reply...
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 22:02   #8
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
you've quoted the wrong reply...
I dont think so:

Quote:
Shouldn't it just go away immediately after I close the window??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
yes they should
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 11:50   #9
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

ah I see. Didin't realise his reply was referring to two things at once

So anyway... does anyone have anything more useful to add?