User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Aug 2003, 15:40   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
DVD Writers

Rightyho i am having to make a DVD movie type job for a client in the United States.

Now i want to make this in the UK so i have a few questions.

1. Should i be purchasing the DVD writer here in the states now or wait till i get home to the UK?

2. Which DVD writer do i want. The ones i can see are currently all 4x which seems rather slow but cest la vie.

3. Will i have issues with 'country codes' and whatnot.

4. What format is supported by DVD players? Presumably the dvd writer itself will have documentation on this so its not an important question. Im just curious.

any help is most appreciated.

JJ
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2003, 16:09   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
1. If possible id get it from the states as it will be cheaper. Just like burning a VCD the software you use to burn is what decideds if its Pal or NTSC

2. Make sure you get one of the new hybrid models that burn to both DVD+ and DVD- discs. One of these two standards wil leventually become the industry standard putting the other the way of the Betamax video.

3. If i'm not mistaken dvd's burnt are region 0

4. It depends on the player. While some playuers will read DVD+ discs others wont, and while some will read DVD- discs others wont. Some will support both others none
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 00:09   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
regarding point 3:

You can burn a DVD with protection whatsoever, or you can burn to one or more country codes (providing you have decent software).

Be warned - making a DVD professionally is NOT easy.
Me and some mates have made a DVD, and the video footage had to be frameserved to one program from Adobe Premier (which is what we were editing it in) to be converted to MPEGII, the sound had to be exported from Premier and delt with seperately, the DVD menu was built in yet another program, and then we had to combine it all into proper DVD streams and burn it.

It's not quite the same as Nero's drag'n'drop VCD creator.

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 17:56   #4
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: DVD Writers

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
1. Should i be purchasing the DVD writer here in the states now or wait till i get home to the UK?
That's entirely up to you really.

Quote:
2. Which DVD writer do i want. The ones i can see are currently all 4x which seems rather slow but cest la vie.
Again, it's down to you and your budget. The reason that you can only see 4x dvd-/+rw's are because that's as fast as they currently go. However, don't be put off, 4x (with 4x media) will burn a full disc (that's 4.3 Gig) in about 15 minutes. I have a Pioneer 105, which does dvd-r at 4x, dvd-rw at 2x, cd-r at 16x and cd-rw at 8x. Pioneer have recently release a 106, which is about the same, but it does + as well as -, at about £160 last time I looked.

Quote:
3. Will i have issues with 'country codes' and whatnot.
Burnt dvd's are region free, unless you choose otherwise with your recording software.

Quote:
4. What format is supported by DVD players? Presumably the dvd writer itself will have documentation on this so its not an important question. Im just curious.
I don't really 'get' this question, in all truth.

You might like to check out www.dvdrhelp.com, I found it most helpfull on a number of issues.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 20:27   #5
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i bought the sony dru-500Ax (or something like that) a few month ago.
im pretty much satisfied with it and it supports both formats. back then it was the only writer which did that, but now there are most likely a few more of this kind.
if you want to be on the safe side id recommend a writer which supports both formats (DVD+R and DVD-R), or wait until the market has decided for one standard.
i think the dvd-R standard was developed by the same people / companies who developed the 'normal' 8GB dvd standard. so most normal dvd-players (like my own) should support that standard.
BUT the +standard was developed by some of the larger companies who make such writers. so maybe theyll be able to push through their standard and you end up with a pretty much useless writer...
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 20:21   #6
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Someone just offered me a PHILIPS DVDRW416k for 189 €

Apparently it does DVD+R/RW 4x 2,4x 8x / CD R/RW 24x 10x 40x
seamless link: buffer underrun protection
termo balanced writing: writing on every media without worries
2mb buffer
2 years warranty

is this any good? what do i expect to get from this regarding compatibility?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 00:10   #7
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Someone just offered me a PHILIPS DVDRW416k for 189 €

Apparently it does DVD+R/RW 4x 2,4x 8x / CD R/RW 24x 10x 40x
seamless link: buffer underrun protection
termo balanced writing: writing on every media without worries
2mb buffer
2 years warranty

is this any good? what do i expect to get from this regarding compatibility?
Doesn't do DVD-R, which could be an issue re compatibility, and probably the reason it's so cheap.
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 06:21   #8
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
Doesn't do DVD-R, which could be an issue re compatibility, and probably the reason it's so cheap.
50/50 thing then

indeed, I just saw another burner on the market for 154 € and its DVD+R only

So DVD+R and DVD-R are completely different formats?

Even if burned as data on DVD+R, it wont be readable on DVD-R-only drives?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 22:54   #9
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
you might have problems with stand-alone dvd-players. but the normal dvd-drives in computers should read both (besides that crap one in my notebook which doesnt read any of them, no matter if + or - :/)