User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk

Unread 24 Nov 2006, 14:47   #1
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
What is offensive?

This round a lot of fleet names, alliance names and other names have been changed due to the content being offensive. What with me being me, I'd very much like to know what the benchmark for offensive is.

The actual changes are inconsistent enough that it's difficult, if not impossible, to infer some sort of guidelines from actions taken. This implies that it is necessary for someone to actually take offense and report a name. Is this correct? If so, how do the multihunters filter actual offense from people dicking around?

For example, I could easily cite a lot of ruler and planet names that can be construed as sexual in nature, without this necessarily being the intent. Would they then be forced to change?

I ask this because there is an advantage to be had from changing ruler/planet names, so I'm planning on taking something just offensive enough that I can get my r/p changed in the middle of the next round. Also, it appears to be possible to get changed several times if one can get something past the multihunters the first time, how does that work?
Unread 24 Nov 2006, 22:26   #2
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of
Re: What is offensive?

We try to get all the obviously offensive r/p nicks changed as soon as we notice them or they are brought to our attention. If a person says that a r/p nick is offensive and why it is offensive, if it is valid we will try to get it changed. As for any inconsistencies, please understand that each multihunter is different. We are from different countries. And I'm female. So what one considers offensive, another may not. There are also many different countries represented in this game and what is offensive to one,again, may not be offensive to another.
So if you have a concern about a name, come visit me in #multihunters and I will gladly chat with you about it, jesterina.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 12:28   #3
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery
We try to get all the obviously offensive r/p nicks changed as soon as we notice them or they are brought to our attention. If a person says that a r/p nick is offensive and why it is offensive, if it is valid we will try to get it changed. As for any inconsistencies, please understand that each multihunter is different. We are from different countries. And I'm female. So what one considers offensive, another may not. There are also many different countries represented in this game and what is offensive to one,again, may not be offensive to another.
Thank you for replying. I don't believe you've clarified much beyond 'what we find offensive'. What cultural norms do the multihunters use as guidelines? The changelog says that the game is aiming for 'PG' content. Under both the MPAA and BBFC, it says 'some material may not be suitable for children'. I assume (and stop me if I'm wrong) this means that 'offensive' is whatever deemed unsuitable for children.

Now, suitability for children may differ from country to country. As a trivial example, Finding Nemo had a G rating in the US (and the corresponding U rating in the UK), but was PG in New Zealand. Are the multihunters given guidelines as to what Jolt consider suitable for children? Or at least what standards to follow?
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 13:16   #4
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I was called a 'gay tw@t' in a PA mail. Nothing was done. Hands up whose suprised.
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 14:46   #5
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

It's a bit bizarre that PA wants to ban normal words for e.g. body parts. There's no controversy about such words anymore in the modern world and it's perfectly acceptable to discuss openly about e.g. sex. In other words: Penis, bum, tits should NOT be offending today. If anyone actually finds it offending, get out of the 1800's!
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 16:40   #6
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

The main issue as i see it with detailing exactly whats allowed and what isnt. Is it blocks yuo into a box where as anything that may have been missed would then be deamed appropriate. Where as it could still be highly offensive to someone.

I beleave the genral rule of thumb is that if someone complains and gives reasons for the complaint then the multihunters dealing with it will act in an appriopriate manner.

As has already been said this game is played by peopel of different genders, age groups and nationalities. All who have differing views on what they find offencive. This makes things very diverce. But one thing can be constant and thats if someone take offence and can justify it.

As regarding cannon fodder. If you reported it how do you know for sure nothing was done? You havnt said that the abuse continued so mabey the person was warned toko the warning and adjusted there behaviour
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 16:56   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
I was called a 'gay tw@t' in a PA mail. Nothing was done. Hands up whose suprised.
Did you report it?

We don't just close someone for one offence like that. Usually 2-3 strikes warrent a closure.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2006, 18:41   #8
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
The main issue as i see it with detailing exactly whats allowed and what isnt. Is it blocks yuo into a box where as anything that may have been missed would then be deamed appropriate. Where as it could still be highly offensive to someone.
Obviously. I am, for example, offended that you didn't take the time to run a spell-checker on your post, but obviously that's not going to get you banned.

However, the blatant lack of consistency is confusing if nothing else. The prime example being the use of the word 'Penis' in any context. The alliance of that name was censored, but galaxies have had complaints about the censorship in their name without being closed, and I've seen several fleets in a similar vein. I don't object to these, but I find the inconsistency disconcerting.

There isn't a contradiction between publishing (or even having) guidelines and using personal judgment in particular cases. I'd also recommend that you start using some other language than 'offensive', because content can be decidedly PG and remain offensive, while non-offensive content can be adult in nature.
Unread 26 Nov 2006, 05:10   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Did you report it?

We don't just close someone for one offence like that. Usually 2-3 strikes warrent a closure.
No I assumed you read all the mail as part of your iron fist way of doing things.
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 17:50   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

What can I say, horn, except that you rock?
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 19:05   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Heh...
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 19:28   #12
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
as GC OF 7:1 i have decided (after much deliberation with libertarian lobbys and think tanks) to take a stand in the name of principal, virtue and justice.
i take it u cant be arsed to hit the delete button then

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 20:15   #13
Nadar
I see you!

They found that offensive too? Come on, I see it every day!.......oh...cra...p.