User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jan 2006, 06:18   #1
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts
Rate these webdesigns

I think these are a lot better than the one i did previously (if you remember), but i'd like to see what you think about them.

http://www.mikeselectrical.com

http://www.gta-four.net

the GTA-four.net only has its index finished though.. im still working on the other pages.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 06:34   #2
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Rate these webdesigns

Graphically, colors and image wise, I think they look pretty aweful. That little pop up moving image gimmick has to go. Design wise on the first I like the simplicity of the layout. The second one looks like free module CMS system (ie *******).

I suggest using a color wheel to pick colors. Try to stick with 4 or 5 colors. (My buggy site color selector tool http://www.ambientchill.com/ColorTool can help you pick them.) Don't use funky animations, don't abuse bevel. Don't ever use drop shadows.

That is all.

EDIT: php nuke is starred out?

SuperEDIT: fixed link

Last edited by s|k; 3 Jan 2006 at 20:39.
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 09:06   #3
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

You really need to be more consistant with your fonts, I think this point may have been made before.

On both websites you have both Arial and Times New Roman, this mixture really does take a lot away from all your hard work.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 09:19   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Something on the electrical one is far too big, and in Opera the 'target' for the popup moving thing is really small, with no indication of where it is (I'd lose it, but if it's being insisted on, at least make it work).
With the GTA one, the left-menu stands out as being a bit 'naff'- why have 'pretty' ext for the headings, and then nothing for the menu items?
THe icons at the top (for firefox etc.) look out of place as well, and it's really not obvious what they are (except the FF one...).
Give alt values for your images, and alternative navigation for people without flash.

And slightly off topic: to whoever it was in the last threat that said embedded flash couldn't be done while sticking to W3C standards, you were wrong.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 10:04   #5
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

what's the moving image for? it gets in the way if I am trying to read something and put the mouse in the wrong place.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 11:20   #6
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Forgetting completely about the visual aspects, if you're serious about web design, check out google for topics such as "HTML validity" and "semantics". Using tables-inside-tables is bad practice.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 11:52   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

use CSS dude.

it makes everything so much easier
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 12:07   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Mike's Electrical
  • On http://www.mikeselectrical.com/lookout.htm, the images are all like 250kb. Hell, one of them's half a meg
  • On Firefox, for me at least, the panels on the front page are repeating in the x-direction by quite a few pixels
  • The very corners of those panels have a different background colour to the actual page, so any rounded-window effect is lost
  • Please god get rid of the Flash mouseover things, they're unnecessary and the images are dithered all to hell

GTA-four.net
  • Serif fonts read well on paper, not on a screen. Try something sans-serif, it'll be easier on the eyes
  • Why are the titles to the Welcome and News panes seemingly in different fonts?
  • White text on a light-gray background isn't the easiest thing to read
  • The icon links at the top are all very nice, but seemingly arbitrary in nature. A picture of a PC going to Dell.com? Why?
  • You probably don't need the text 'gta-four.net' at the bottom-right of the header since it already appears twice more within the header itself, and another three times in the body of the page
  • Doesn't really seem to be a consistent colour-scheme. The menu system is all kinds of colours, the blue on the menu section titles isn't repeated anywhere else on the page and none of it matches the colour scheme of the forums skin
  • The backgrounds for the panels have stray pixels all over the shop, instead of being blended into the background colour which would make them look better. I don't like the design of them anyway but that's just my opinion, I'm not sure I can give a reason why yet
  • The 'swish' upon which the icons live under the menu at the top needs anti-aliasing; at the minute it looks like an explosion at the WordArt factory
  • There seems to be a lot of dead space that doesn't really lend itself to the layout. You could try water-marking some images into the black background at either side of the central column, or pick an entirely new colour and put something interesting in. At the minute it's dull

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
I suggest using a color wheel to pick colors. Try to stick with 4 or 5 colors.
I used to use http://www.colormatch.dk/ (IE only) a fair bit, is pretty handy
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 20:38   #9
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
And slightly off topic: to whoever it was in the last threat that said embedded flash couldn't be done while sticking to W3C standards, you were wrong.
Unless they changed something in the last year or so since I've checked, the required code to embed a flash object always fails W3C standards. There are some hacks, like using an Iframe, but that's cheating.

Last edited by s|k; 3 Jan 2006 at 20:41. Reason: spelling
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 20:38   #10
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo

I used to use http://www.colormatch.dk/ (IE only) a fair bit, is pretty handy
I was on crack when I wrote my first post. My color tool is actually at http://www.ambientchill.com/ColorTool
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 23:13   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Code:
<object
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="movie.swf" 
width="400" height="300">
<param name="movie" value="movie.swf" />
</object>
Is valid, and works in IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari.