User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 9 Apr 2007, 20:30   #1
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Buying a second hand pc

So i was looking to buy a cheap second hand pc suitable for just for browsing on our wireless network so my flatmates dont stop pestering to use my computer. Anyway im not much of a techhead so is there any tips or tricks i can do wheni go to see the pc working to make sure its:

a) Is the actual spec the person quoted and not full of shite parts

b) Is not overrun with virus's and hidden problems.

Its a packard bell with p4 1.7ghz , 512 ddr ram, 60gb hard drive and comes with a 15" tft monitor and a printer, speakers and all accesories etc.

Does this sound a reasonable deal for £200
the graphics aint really important since its for browsing mainly

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2007, 21:09   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Buying a second hand pc

look at the hardware listed for it ( windows-key and pause/break key at once for shortcut ) via device manager
the cpu clock and memory will be listed on the first page, with all other hardware devices installed listed under the device manager itself.
the hard disk space you can verify via the disk management tools ( start, run , "diskmgmt.msc" )
that'll show you the partitions on the disk, capacity etc.
Bear in mind hard disks count in factors of 1000 for mega -> giga and not factors of 1024 as it should be, so a 60 gig drive will appear as something like 55 gb or something because of that and stuff.
the monitor you will just have to judge when you are there, same with printer, speakers etc.
As for viruses, as long as you get the windows install disk and driver disks you can just wipe the thing yourself and be certain.
It sounds so-so, something like that i would price at about £120-150 though if i were to sell it but it depends how many accessories and software is being thrown in too
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 16:08   #3
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

and look for all the small details, printers are very cheap, but if the ink cartridge is empty
you have to buy a new one, and often they are very expensive (around 30-50€)
try to locate the label with the windows key on it (i know a few people with no such label, and so no legal copy of windows... but they bought a pc bundel + windows installed... )
at least this is a nice bundle but as phil said, the price seems to be a bit high, perhaps you can lower the price a bit. then it is ok.
just be a bit skeptik
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2007, 17:25   #4
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

I havent found anything similar with a tft monitor for less money in whole ireland private ads etc ill keep searching though thanks for tips
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 11:09   #5
jezebelus

Second hand PC is the stupies solution someone can shoose. I would rather buy second hand toilet paper , then someone's PC which was torturing for years.
Unread 11 Apr 2007, 11:24   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Doesnt matter if its full over viruses and crap.
Wouldnt pay for then 100-150£ for those specs on a normal puter, mabye a laptop.

And, its a peckerhead

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 19:47   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/systemview.aspx?id=6
brand new, from £175 (though I think that includes a floppy drive which you can choose to omit)

Dell have a desktop for £250 (Dimension C521)

£200 for what you posted isn't cheap.
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 21:25   #8
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

ok i get p4 3ghz with 768 DDR ram, 160gb hard drive and a graphics card + accecories + monitor for £180 pound. Considerin its mainly for browsing and local i think i will take it

Photoshop and Cubase is just eatin up my main computer, time for my second external hard drive i think
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-