User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:37   #1
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Book Survey

Reading the thread about American ignorance, and the debate about the literacy of Americans, and whether or not they actually read books, I've decided to ask everyone how many books they've read since January 1, 2000.

For the book to count, you must have read the book in its entirety. Magazines, newspapers, periodicals, and internet forums don't count. This does not also include textbooks, but if you were forced to read a mainstream book for a class, you can count it.

Please be honest, and you can approximate if you don't know the exact figure.

I've read approximately 55 books in that time.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:39   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Book Survey

Are you ****ing kidding me?
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:40   #3
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Is that to the thread, or to the fact I've actually read that many books?
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:44   #4
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I'd guess at around 25 - 30. I tend to read books off recommendation or through coversation. I'm not the type to buy a book having read a good review of it, but I will check one out that I hear people talking about or get asked wether I've read it and it's subject sparks an intrest in me.

My problem is finding the time to actually sit down and properly read, paying attention and taking it all in, instead of sort of skimming it and not really reading between the lines and such. Most of the books I've read recently have been related in some way to my degree, either as reaserch towards an accedemic style paper or reading to further my own general knowledge.

I do enjoy reading and try to whenever I can. I'm currently working my way through (for about the 4th time now) my collection of Isaac Asimov books, my favorite of his short stories being "Robbie".

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 01:52   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

41 that i can remember, Most of which are books bought for university modules.
Theres probably a couple ive forgotten though
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:00   #6
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

lots. 7 years is a long bloody time, but if i had to guess i'd say somewhere between 40 and 70.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:02   #7
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Goes up and down, but about 15-20 each year, yes.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:02   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Is that to the thread, or to the fact I've actually read that many books?
I can't believe you expect me to remember how many books I've read. However in the interest of surveys give me a second or two.

I went upstairs to count there and I'll guarantee about 200. I just can't believe you can remember all the books you've read since January 2000 as books you've read since then. What the hell separates them from books you've read a few months before that in your head?

Edit: For me it can really vary by interest levels how long it may take me to read a book. I bought a book yesterday called Empire of Dragons and read it by about 5am that morning. Equally though it took me, on and off, about 3 months to read Edward Gibbons' Decline and Fall.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:05   #9
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
What the hell separates them from books you've read a few months before that in your head?
Simple, I never really got into reading books until about the beginning of 2001 really, but decided to make it simple and just round it off to 2000.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:11   #10
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Not many when you exclude text books, under 50 probably.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:16   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no idea. I am not going to count them for you because the error margin would be astronomical - but I expect the answer is somewhere between 100 and 200.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:21   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Between 160 and 180. I usually buy two or three books a month and have done since i was in college. There's a lot of crap sci-fi in amongst them all tho, incase they don't count.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 02:23   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

do graphic novels count?

if not probably around the 300 mark (although possibly significantly higher if i really sat down and thought about this)

if they do then you can probably add another couple of hundred or so

disclaimer: a lot of what i read is easy si-fi and fantasy though, given the right mood i can easily get though a average paperback in a single sitting
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 03:17   #14
Vikman
F-crew HC

Vikman is on a distinguished road

I would say about 100-150. Mostly techno-thrillers like Tom Clancy and Dale Brown.
[email protected]
Vikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 03:35   #15
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i'll guess 80 because i reread a lot of things (especially pratchett) over and over again instead of buying something i cant recite
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 05:29   #16
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a complete guess, but probably somewhere between 150 and 250. Maybe more.

This question is stupid.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 05:37   #17
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

It's a dead end thread, I'd be surprised if it gets more than 20 posts.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 07:28   #18
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
It's a dead end thread, I'd be surprised if it gets more than 20 posts.
Are you one of the people in the category of 'I haven't read any books'?
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 07:46   #19
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

If he would say none, would you feel better about yourself? You would stilll come over like a ****ing moron anyway.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 07:56   #20
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
If he would say none, would you feel better about yourself?
Nope, just wondering why he's opposed to the particular question I put out there.

The purpose of the thread isn't for boasting, or to rag on people who don't enjoy books. There's nothing wrong with not reading books, and whether or not you do has nothing to do with intelligence. I just wanted to do a simple survey to get an average of how many books those that do read go through in say a 7 year period such as I put forth.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 08:16   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd guess something like 70 or so, which is shamefully low for me (I almost certainly read more in 1998 than I did in the last six years combined).

Recently I've started enjoying auidobooks, which I can listen to while walking, but obviously I wouldn't count that as reading.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 08:26   #22
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

In all honestly, I couldn't tell you how many books I have read over the last 6-7 years. Looking at my book shelves, at least 300. Then there are all the books I've borrowed, lost, given away.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 08:55   #23
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I read a novel in about 2 weeks. I'll be generous and make it 3 as there have probably been exceptions, so about 100.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 10:30   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
What is this supposed to prove?

As for complete books, why does that matter? I have read hundreds of books as reference materials, the idea of reading them in their entirety is ludicrous.
You haven't lived until you've read The Britannica Encyclopaedia X through Z.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 10:36   #25
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

the internet knocks the will to read out of me
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 11:15   #26
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

From 2000 onwards? Over 200, and before that over 700 including kids books, I think that I've read a ****ing lot to be honest.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 11:52   #27
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I honestly have no idea, I couldn't even hazard a guess. I can't just have a quick count as most of the books I've read over the past seven years have been borrowed from the uni library or Midge 5.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 12:20   #28
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quantifying our lives is

January 2000 I was 17, so I guess that's from my last year at school, through university, up until now.

I doubt it's that much actually. Maybe 50? Like Phang said, I reread books a lot (especially when I'm back in Jersey with my somewhat limited book collection). I used to read all the time up until I was about 12 or 13, then I just didn't bother anymore.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 12:34   #29
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i read a book about the Tour de France of 1989 this summer, and i think i read another book in 2001 or so. that's about it. i quit reading books requently after i turned 15 or so.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:28   #30
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Hellavah question

i buy 1-2 a month + re-reads in 7 years + library (yes i have books piled everywhere, several bookshelves and boxes in cupboards b4 u ask, i rarely give a book away)
aprox 500 i guess
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:34   #31
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

about 20 books a year
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:48   #32
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

I'd guess around 300 but really I have no idea. It should be higher but I re-read books all the time, too much actually now that I think about it. I should start selling books to second book shops or something the second I finish them, I'd get more money and wouldn't waste my time reading Hemingway over and over and over again.
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 13:59   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Since 2000? Oh god. In this house I've about 200 I've read in that time period, with many more books than this sitting in my mother's garage.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 18:11   #34
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Are you one of the people in the category of 'I haven't read any books'?
I've read plenty since Y2K (heh horn). Half of which are Stephen King, Orson Scott Card, John Grisham and some Dickens here and there, totalling to around 80 since 2000.

But you start a thread with a closed probe like you did without entertaining any discussion, then you end up with a dead end thread.

It's like starting a thread about how many cigarettes we all smoked today, and you get posts like 10, or 15, 16, 2 packs, etc.

Unread 12 Jan 2007, 18:12   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
It's like starting a thread about how many cigarettes we all smoked today, and you get posts like 10, or 15, 16, 2 packs, etc.
No-one is stopping you from answering such a question with a three thousand word essay on why you stopped smoking though. That's the wonderful thing about forums like these.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 18:49   #36
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

I suppose with us GD posters. That could be right.

I had a dream one time that GD posters got together an idea that saved humans from extinction.

Unread 12 Jan 2007, 21:19   #37
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm really at a complete loss as to even give a remote guess as to how many books I've read in that timeframe.

Seeing as how I've been in education for that entire period - 2000 being the jear I graduated from high school, I probably have read absolute shittons of various books. Back in the day for my exams, then for Journalism, and currently for Ancient History I've pretty much read a metric ****ton of books. I'd say in the past three weeks alone I've read about seven books, another book worth of articles and partial copies of books for my thesis. And on top of that comes everything I've read just for entertainment purposes, which in those same past three weeks adds in another 700-page novel.

So yeah, I'd say that I do read a lot at the moment. I expect this will taper off when done with education, though.
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 21:49   #38
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do we not think it might be better to investigate how many books people have understood?
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 22:25   #39
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Book Survey

I had no idea how many books I've read, but then I remembered that Amazon keeps receipts online forever and I get at least 80% of my books from them. According to their records I've purchased 152 books (for myself, not counting gifts) from them since 1/1/2000. Of those, I guess I've finished maybe 140 books and then add at least another 40 books purchased elsewhere; so call it 180 books or about 30 books/year. I reread maybe 5 books a year but I'm not sure if/how you want to count those.

Of all the books I read about 40-50% are fiction.

I'm not sure what any of this means except that (a) I read a lot, and (b) I need to look into buying some Amazon stock.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 22:25   #40
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I've borrowed over 150 novels from the library in my hometown, and I own about another ~80. The only book I couldn't finish so far was Dantes "The Divine Comedy". And then there are factual books, and educational books in addition, and the books I've borrowed from the library at my university. I would estimate 250-280, but that really is a guess more than an estimate.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 22:31   #41
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

I like to do the whole thing of signing up for a book club and getting 6-7 books for a dollar (plus s+h), then after buying 4 more books on sale, cancel the account and wait for them to send me a re-enrollment offer of 6 more books for free (plus s+h).
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 22:56   #42
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I've read approximately 55 books in that time.

ive read... two... (edit: and one of them was a harry potter book... so i dunno if that counts)

do u look like that dude in your avatar ?

edit: oh... nm... i thought Jan 1st 2007
/me needs more coffee
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 23:47   #43
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
The only book I couldn't finish so far was Dantes "The Divine Comedy".
Yeah I found that hard going as well. It's not particularly long and the language was fine but it just got worse and worse as it went on. Inferno was fantastic but became repetitive towards the end, Purgatorio was readable but not great and Paradiso was just awful. I can't even remember what he did there apart from chat to his misses and talk about how great God was.

I would probably have liked the book more if he had started in heaven and then worked his way down to Hell so you finish on the three heads of Satan chewing on Brutus, Cassius and Judas. That would have been badass, although thematically bollocks of course.
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 03:04   #44
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Do we not think it might be better to investigate how many books people have understood?

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote