User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Jun 2006, 14:39   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Yellow and red in the world cup

Let´s assume a few things first.

1) FiFa is not corrupt. All that happens on the field is decided there and then.
2) FiFa did not pick referees by their looks, but they are capable men.
3) Players are seasoned, experienced, healthy and macho.

Now that we have agreed on those points:

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THIS WC?!

I mean, sunday the yellow cards were 134 yellow, and 10 red, in 24 matches. We´ve seen the first 4-red-card-WC-match in recorded history, and it´s not really attractive what I see going on on the fields.

What do you think? What´s wrong, who´s to blame?
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 14:43   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Yellow and red in the world cup

Shit refs, diving players, fouling players, poor rules. In an, oh, 15/20/30/35 percentage.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 14:46   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I think a part of the problem is the high pressure on the referees from the FIFA, all the instructions they get upon them at the start of the world cup. They should tell them to do it like they're used to do when they're whistling their normal competition/continental matches, as they're selected on those apearances. They try to conform all the referees to the strict rules from the FIFA in where the FIFA seems to believe that a world cup needs a different aproach then national competitions.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 14:55   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Referees have been told specifically to clamp down on timewasting. I've seen more yellow cards for timewasting than ever - look at the amount of keepers that are on yellow cards in this world cup than in other world cups, for example.

I am heartily in favour of this.

Sure, theres been a bit of poor reffing as well, but when has there not?

Im not on this "yellow and red cards spoil the world cup" bandwagon. I think they add spice to a game, some games can be MADE by red cards - italy / usa for example.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 15:04   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Im not on this "yellow and red cards spoil the world cup" bandwagon. I think they add spice to a game, some games can be MADE by red cards - italy / usa for example.
Hmm, don´t know what to say dude. I know I like the game a lot better when they are allowed to play on.

I know one thing very sure, this sistem actually ENCOURAGES players to try win an Oscar. If everybody ignores people lying on the floor they usually get up in no-time.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 15:19   #6
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Different refreees and different teams coming from different playing cultures = interesting outcomes.

Apparently Mexico produces on average significantly better referees than anywhere else, thats why they've got more teams than anyone else, other nations just produce one or two 'good/excellent' referees, like collina*. English refrees don't have a glorious record at international level. But like deffeh says it spices things up. Its sad blaming the referees for everything the players in hollandvportugal were appaling, and in the italian game yesterday from the refs perspective the challenge looked two footed and very cynical and he can't really be blamed for an italian player (who was nowhere near the ball) running into a prone and non threatening aussie

*unless the italian serie a scandal spreads
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 15:32   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's been a lot of bad fouls in this World Cup - certainly more than I've ever seen per match in either the Premiership or Champions League. Refereeing has been very good on occasion (e.g. yesterday's Switzerland/Ukraine match), as well as shocking. I blame a combination of the players fouling and the sheer level of diving (which is not being clamped down on).
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 15:34   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wouldnt say theres been more yellows and red given out due to players diving and overplaying injuries in this tournament than in any other

Unread 27 Jun 2006, 17:32   #9
eSc0

eSc0 is just really niceeSc0 is just really niceeSc0 is just really niceeSc0 is just really nice

i hope to see a ref accidently kicked in the face.
eSc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 17:57   #10
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

They are so desperate to card players this WC, they will even give a player 3 yellows

Out of interest, in the recorded 134 yellows, does Poll's craziness count?

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 18:42   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

not to the bookies, i saw an interesting article on people who were complaining about that.

Unread 27 Jun 2006, 19:05   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbOlly
Out of interest, in the recorded 134 yellows, does Poll's craziness count?
Nope, FIFA have already banished it from their history. Their records only show the first yellow card and the (third) yellow that was immediately followed by a red. The second yellow card where the player wasn't sent off never happened.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:27   #13
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I was reading an interview with Graham Poll and apparently all fines for yellow and red cards brandished in this tournament will go to FIFA's chosen charities. So maybe the refs are just feeling generous.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 11:16   #14
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

That depends on the charities chosen by fifa ofcourse.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 11:55   #15
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

One Alternative would be like they do in rugby... Rather than the ref soley going "card happy" If they get excess verbal from players and in rare occasions from coaches. they give 10 yards to the opposition.

Ref gives a decision and if any players give a bit of verbal, the ref gives 10 yards to the opposition. IF the verbal continues, another 10 yards.
This will encourage the team mates to shut him up quickly.

It just might work
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 16:20   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

That happens occassionally actually paisley, but i havent seen it at this world cup (or indeed in a while).

But maybe its something they could do with stressing.