User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Oct 2004, 19:07   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So , Crimbo is coming ...

And the wallets getting fat
but which MP3 player is "Where its at"
Should i buy Apple , do IPods still rule
If i buy Creative, will i feel a fool?

So dudes, budget is £200, and the primary purpose of the player will be for me in the gym. Do i buy a solid state player and accept the limitations of maybe 512 meg / 1 gig , or do i buy a hard drive based player and get my full 20/40 gig? And should I buy something that doesnt have proprietary software so i can download my old MP3's onto it (i dunno if the new IPod's actually only play I-Tunes stuff, and thats whats held me back from buying one).

Thoughts gentlemen?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 19:08   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: So , Crimbo is coming ...

(edit, wasnt thinking properly)

my housemate has an iriver, and thats rather cool.

creative stuff is a bit overpricced
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 26 Oct 2004 at 19:34.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 19:10   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I was thinking about making a thread about this as i'm after an mp3 player too. I have a similar budget too.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=30T5
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=39TX

These seem like decent non-IPOD offers to me, but i'm no expert so i'll listen to any advice given in here .
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 19:57   #4
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Personally, I got the 30gig creative (which you can get 4quid cheaper at http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...09&GroupID=378 !:/ heh). It does more or less everything I wanted it to, would`ve liked better headphones (in terms of look, as the colour combination is downright weird.) and maybe more customization & accessibility via the software etc, so you can directly create playlists on your comp etc. All in all, I like it.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 20:12   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have an iriver and it does everything I want it to do.
When I was looking around I saw it won a few awards and feedback from people that had it was always v. good (besides a few random complaints). It was £250 though.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 22:10   #6
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I saw a while back Sony were bringing out a nice mp3 player, dunno how much it is, but Sony are far cooler than Apple, and everyone has an iPod, so I'd be different and buy the sony one.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 22:17   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

My 30GB creative Zen Xtra is probably one of the best purchases I ever did in my entire life.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 22:25   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
i dunno if the new IPod's actually only play I-Tunes stuff, and thats whats held me back from buying one).
if that is the case I have a pc format magazine from few months ago that let you play ANY MP3 on your iPod by using a Winamp 3 plugin 2 add the songs to your iPod regardless of whether it's from iTunes or not

but most of the other people I know said they've never had the problem with just adding on MP3's straight to it regardless as to whether it's off iTunes or not

if you need me to go dig it up along with the name of the plugin on the CD I can
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:09   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
iriver owner

a++ would buy again
this is not ebay
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:11   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

if you're wanting it for the gym, arn't moving parts a problem? i assume you actually move and stuff :P

-mist
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:19   #11
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...28&GroupID=378

Does anyone know if MuVo's are solid state or Hard drive based, as that doesnt seem to indicate.

If its Solid State, and 1.5 gig , thats a good price.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:24   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Why don`t you just get the 30gb creative zen xtra for £5~ more ?
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:40   #13
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Why don`t you just get the 30gb creative zen xtra for £5~ more ?
Because on a running machine , a solid state MP3 player doesnt skip, A hard drive based one does.
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:50   #14
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i have a 256 mb player which does it's job since i have my music collection on my pc and usually i am in 'moods' so i just put a few albums on it an go 'out'

but i'd go for a mini ipod if i bought a new one
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 00:22   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The larger muvo is a HDD (a bit like the mini-iPod) I think.

I know the 128MB/256MB ones are solid state though.

HDD players don't generally skip though. I have gone running for 45 minutes with a Creative Zen with no skipping (admittedly I managed to break it the other day though, heh)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 08:22   #16
jerome

Quote:
Because on a running machine , a solid state MP3 player doesnt skip, A hard drive based one does.
I have no sorts of problem whilst jogging & listening to it, though. It`s pretty static.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 09:22   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i thought that the HDD based ones generally buffered quite a lot of data to avoid skipping?
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 09:37   #18
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

I've never had any problems with my iPod mini skipping, and I use it often while cycling/jogging. It did break once though, but I found Apple a very good company to deal with whilst getting a free replacement - they pick it up and send it back by courier all free of charge.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "only playing iTunes stuff" - do you mean only play music of a certain file type? I've never had a problem with this as all my music is mp3, although I think you're right in that iPods can only play mp3's or aac's. (iTunes can convert .wmv files into .mp3, though)
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 10:05   #19
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:

I am not too sure how wild you want to get with a Zen but I use my HD based mp3 player every damn day, I walk with it, I run with it when I am late for a bus, I toss it around in my sleep while listening music etc, it never ever skipped a single time for me. Also, I already dropped it on the floor for two times from a rather large height, it migh look a bit like a brick but it's also solid as a brick.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 13:09   #20
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Forget both. The Rio Karma has earned the top notch award over the Zen in many magazines.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote