User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 10:38   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i also have a basic economics question

about globalisation and economical development.
Every economist will tell you that economies develop from being agricultural to industrial and then to service orientated. The first step is fine with me: You buy coffee from some african country and then sell some mashines or whatever to that african country, so that they can produce more coffee the next year. Both win.
I don't see how that is possible if the economy is more based on services. You can hardly export a hair cut to China, because some chinese guy sold you a dvd player. Yes, i know you can export some services, but as i see it, most you can not.
If this is true, I don't understand how such a situation can be stable on the long term. Let's assume you are a country and buy goods for 1,000€ from China. you got your stuff, chinese guy gets 1,000€. Now chinese guy has 3 options:

a) use the 1,000€ to buy stuff or services from you or someone else who accepts € (no problem)

b) sell the 1,000€ to someone else who then has to pick between option a) or c)

c) invest the 1,000€ in your country.

If you have no goods or services to export option c) is the only one possible, so let's say chinese guy does just that; he finds some investment that will make him 10% a year.

The next year you again buy stuff for 1,000€ from the chinese guy, so that he now has 1,100€ to invest (1,000€ for the goods + 100€ because of his investment). A year later it's 1,210€ and so on until one day chinese guy tells you to **** off because he doesnt want your euros anymore.

How can this work out?

Last edited by wu_trax; 11 Oct 2005 at 11:02.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote