User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Nov 2005, 13:30   #1
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Different form of defence against structure killers

My suggestion is this:

A construction which can defend against structure killers. Essentially a form of PDS, or shielding against SKs, and only SKs.

The reasoning behind this is simple: many planets are entirely unable to get defence for the majority of occasions on which they are attacked. It is, of course, worst for solo players - the very type of players who are likely to depend on keeping a good number of amps and blockers in order to compete. Because these planets are less likely to get defence, attackers can send SKs without much fear of losing them.

The current solution to this problem is to give SKs a useless class, and make them very weak and expensive. This has some positive effects, but it also makes SKs useless in wars, or against top planets.

My idea would work something like this:

The attacked planet would have a percentage chance of blocking each SK attempt. 0% for a planet with no defences, rising to perhaps a maximum of 80%. It would work very much like Security Centres do against covert ops, though I don't think it should be possible to have full immunity.

To compensate, structure killers could perhaps be made more affordable or more powerful.

The likely consequence is that low-end planets will be much better defended against SKs, since low-end planets don't bother with Finance Centres. Top planets build lots of FCs and so would probably not build the anti-SK structure. This would make them more vulnerable to SKs. This means that SKs retain (or even increase) their usefulness in major alliance wars, but become much less useful against low-end or solo planets.

Opinions?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 14:00   #2
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Re: Different form of defence against structure killers

I like the idea
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 15:44   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
My suggestion is this:

A construction which can defend against structure killers. Essentially a form of PDS, or shielding against SKs, and only SKs.

The reasoning behind this is simple: many planets are entirely unable to get defence for the majority of occasions on which they are attacked. It is, of course, worst for solo players - the very type of players who are likely to depend on keeping a good number of amps and blockers in order to compete. Because these planets are less likely to get defence, attackers can send SKs without much fear of losing them.

The current solution to this problem is to give SKs a useless class, and make them very weak and expensive. This has some positive effects, but it also makes SKs useless in wars, or against top planets.

My idea would work something like this:

The attacked planet would have a percentage chance of blocking each SK attempt. 0% for a planet with no defences, rising to perhaps a maximum of 80%. It would work very much like Security Centres do against covert ops, though I don't think it should be possible to have full immunity.

To compensate, structure killers could perhaps be made more affordable or more powerful.

The likely consequence is that low-end planets will be much better defended against SKs, since low-end planets don't bother with Finance Centres. Top planets build lots of FCs and so would probably not build the anti-SK structure. This would make them more vulnerable to SKs. This means that SKs retain (or even increase) their usefulness in major alliance wars, but become much less useful against low-end or solo planets.

Opinions?
How about this,

Imagine that all SK ships were actually troop carriers, they deliver there troops to the planet where they battle against the defenders SK ships troops (which are always stationed on the defenders planet when they arrive), then some sort of formula would be used to calculate how many structures have been destroyed, based on the troop battle, think of it as fighting in the streets.

So two battles would take place, one in space and one on the ground, with cov ops having the ability to affect both.

And also as well as having engineers, have generals, which perform combat only type of focus.

wow i'm on a roll!!!

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 16:08   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Also

1) Each SK can only carry a certain number of troops in to battle. To launch all your troops, you must buiild enough SK's.

2) If you lose any SK's in the space battle, you only take home enough to fit in to your remaining SK's, the rest are left behind, which the defender can gain XP/Res, or convert (but this can be left out).

3) By telling your general to order your troops to "dig in" / "fortify" (at home planet), they cant be moved for 24 hours, but gain a substantial increase in ground based defence.

4) and moving on from this you could have mutliple types of ground troops (anti vehlcle, medic, etc) and perhaps even vehicles.

[edit] both ground and space battles do not interact with one another.

<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 24 Nov 2005 at 16:17.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:02   #5
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Similar ideas have been suggested a number of times, personally I am for the idea I think it has a lot of merrit, and could add a whole new level of tactics into the game. One note for commanderbob, I suggest whatever you do, don't call it PDS, there are people on these forums who give neg rep just for seeing 'PDS' in a post....

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:38   #6
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I was thinking of calling it Sub-Orbital Defence System, or SODS for short.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 10:20   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...ight=structure

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...&highlight=pds

just a few discussions on the same subject......

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 10:57   #8
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
I was thinking of calling it Sub-Orbital Defence System, or SODS for short.
and those with out any pds would be called SODS ALL.

I cried so much with that one... ahem.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 13:20   #9
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about

MrLobsters, have you been playing Master of Orion lately ?
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 16:03   #10
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

I played MOO2, and I did buy MOO3, but never played it more than 10 mins before going back to CS, but back to the point, I think the idea for a troop based combat is well worth a thought, because constructions is seriously lacking, and so is Cov Ops.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 16:28   #11
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about

Was just thinking since there are transports @ MoO 2 and they work kinda like the same way that you are suggesting
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 16:52   #12
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

My opinion?

Delete SK's from the game. They don't give anything. Their SOLE use is bashing a target.
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 18:25   #13
ComradeRob
wasted

I think SKs have their place, but that place is in major alliance combat, against top planets.

That's why my suggestion would (I hope) benefit the smaller planets whilst making SKs viable against top planets (who would presumably rather be building finance centres or distorters, not anti-SK constructions).
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 02:28   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster
Stuff about attacking/defending SKs
Is it just me, or would that idea result in nothing more than massively widespread proliferation of SKs in the universe? As if the best way of defending yourself from SK attack is to build SKs, then there will be more and more and more SKs built to attack, defend, counter attack, retal, etc etc.

If anything, wouldnt that make the situation worsE?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2005, 16:19   #15
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Is it just me, or would that idea result in nothing more than massively widespread proliferation of SKs in the universe? As if the best way of defending yourself from SK attack is to build SKs, then there will be more and more and more SKs built to attack, defend, counter attack, retal, etc etc.

If anything, wouldnt that make the situation worsE?
Yep I guess your right ok then maybe make the SK's an alliance only item, and/or make them really expensive (also increase there damage stats accordingly).

<Ave> both has bad gfx