User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 31 Aug 2005, 18:14   #1
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Planetary shields

Just a quick idea i had about how to stop structure killers.
I've seen alot of threads about bringing back pds to only target struc killers etc etc and here's my own idea.
How about a new construction, called planetary shields or something. Each construction has x amount of armour that struc killers have to penetrate first before being able to hit your constructions.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 18:54   #2
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about
Re: Planetary shields

u've played too much MoO ?? IMO there was this kinda thing atleast in MoO 2
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 20:00   #3
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotatrix
u've played too much MoO ?? IMO there was this kinda thing atleast in MoO 2
I am unsure about MoO, but it was definately available in Ascendancy. I think the idea is not bad - having planetary shields which protect a certain amount of structures definately pays off for, let's say, scanners.

However: should it be possible to destroy the shields?
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 20:51   #4
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...planet+shields

one along the same lines.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 20:59   #5
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...ghlight=bunker

I think some ppl liked this idea to.

Unread 31 Aug 2005, 21:06   #6
Dotatrix

Dotatrix has a spectacular aura aboutDotatrix has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
I am unsure about MoO, but it was definately available in Ascendancy. I think the idea is not bad - having planetary shields which protect a certain amount of structures definately pays off for, let's say, scanners.

However: should it be possible to destroy the shields?
Well atleast i shot the planet with my ships and there was a effect that looked like somekind of shield (a blue force field protecting the planet) 'little' bit off topic but what the heck

I like the idea thou
R 14 [VsN] ---> [xVx]
R 15-17 [xVx]
R 18 [eXilition] Semi-retired half round
Dotatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 00:02   #7
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know MoO or Ascendancy, the idea just popped in my head.
And in my opinion the shield constructions could be destroyed like any other construction once the shield is penetrated.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 04:34   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

So how exactly will these shields work? Does each Shielg Generator (for want of a better term) add a certain amount of armour to all structures (ie, the structure's normal armour of 500 + x%, where x is the proportion of shield generators to all constructions, similar to how research centres work)? Or would shield generators just add a base amount of armour to all structures, ie 500 + (100 * Shield Generators)? Or would they add a 'base' amount of armour that SKs must destroy before any structures are destroyed? ie, 1000 armour sue to shield must be destroyed, then structures begin to be destroyed?

A suggestion to how they actually work might be handy.

Generally, i am in favour of anything that weakens SK and/or strengthens structures, as i am of the opinion that indescriminate use of structure killers is only adding to the misery of the casual players of this game, without whom there is no future.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 12:00   #9
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

they should have a base armour that SK's must destroy before any structures are destroyed, otherwise it would be pretty useless i think.
I would prefer something among the lines of the research centre for the way they work.
Lets say 1 shield generator to succesfully shield 5 constructions.
etc etc
I'm no good at coming up with stats etc so i'll leave that up to people who have more experience in that field

Unread 1 Sep 2005, 15:02   #10
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

This idea as already pointed out has been suggested before, the major issue with strengthening defense against structure killers is it may lead to a bit of an arms race and cause many more structure killers to appear in the uni, in addition new players will spend resources on shields when they should probably be building other things. It's not a bad idea, but there are some drawbacks.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2005, 22:29   #11
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

just remove structure killers!

No serious player purchases them anyway, those that have them have stolen them.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 10:28   #12
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
This idea as already pointed out has been suggested before, the major issue with strengthening defense against structure killers is it may lead to a bit of an arms race and cause many more structure killers to appear in the uni, in addition new players will spend resources on shields when they should probably be building other things. It's not a bad idea, but there are some drawbacks.

Sorry, did I miss something? This is a wargame, which implies it is an arms race anyways.
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 12:49   #13
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
just remove structure killers!

No serious player purchases them anyway, those that have them have stolen them.
Serious players do buy them.

I havent bought any yet but i might.

How else you gonna cripple that annoying covert oppper (hiya crusie) who has been nicking your resources blowing up your amps etc.. etc.. and what about scanners? Kal thinks Alliance scanners should not exist so killing amps wont do any harm.
Take away structure killers you may aswell take away structures tbh.

And we dont want that when we can kill somenes 3 factorys that we are at war with and he cant build anti-<insert ship> so you launch more at him to steal roids or kill him. Its a war game we not catching butterflys and playing tag.