User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 14:13   #1
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
The players have voted - round 23 skin sucks

Go check the current ingame universe stats, at least half of the players have switched from the default round 23 skin to something else.

Could we please have a default skin which is more appealing? Get a new designer and scrap what's currently being used.

I know the skin system gives people choice and you could argue that people are free to switch skin, but I'm concerned that half the players have switched away from the default - which I'd say is a pretty bad percentage. Planetarion needs a default skin which is visually appealing to existing players and visually stunning to entice new players into thinking this is a good game.

Could you please not skimp on this? A combination of a good design along with someone with experience of creating decent user interfaces would go a long way in improving the image of Planetarion, instead of it looking like an 8 year old web game.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 14:20   #2
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Re: The players have voted - round 23 skin sucks

I admit I was a bit shocked (and partially blinded) by the new default skin.
Something along the lines of r21 skin with just a sexier touch would be great.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 14:22   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Im using r21 one as always
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 14:27   #4
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
me too. something to do with being appalled by what was raping my eyes when i logged in.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 14:40   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Text only all the way baby.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:21   #6
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i'm actually surprised that they managed to break the r21 skin somewhat. the grey background boxes don't appear properly on all sections now
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:21   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use the r6-9 xan skin even when i'm not playing xan. That's how hardcore I am.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:25   #8
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Out of interest is the rd6-9 Cath skin available?
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:26   #9
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
appears so
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:26   #10
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
it is indeed

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:27   #11
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

tbh, whoever came up with the colorscheme used in the portal / login form / skin should be shot...

Combining red with orange with blue with shades of green is simply enough to make me cut out my eyeballs so they can never be violated in such horrible ways ever again.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:32   #12
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

For reference on how I thought the portal should have looked like:
http://users.telenet.be/Veedeejem/PA...rtal-final.jpg

Still makes me sad that they never used it and put up that crap instead...

edit: that was an unfinished design btw

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:32   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
tbh, whoever came up with the colorscheme used in the portal / login form / skin should be shot...

Combining red with orange with blue with shades of green is simply enough to make me cut out my eyeballs so they can never be violated in such horrible ways ever again.
HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR SIGNATURE RECENTLY???
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:33   #14
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:

suppose its a matter of taste, yours looks pretty sweet though, easier on the eyes too, i'd have voted that one.

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 15:47   #15
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR SIGNATURE RECENTLY???
Yes I have, but there's a big difference between a shitty signature on a forum and a design for a portal / game.

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 16:45   #16
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Reason i added/changed the pages to the r23 skin was to get a "consistent" look on everything and as i had to change much of the login/signup etc page anyway.

Now if someone is willing to supply us with skins, both for the game and portal, they are welcome to do so.
If the skins meet our approval, atm i can only really remember we've not added 2 skins supplied to us, we'll add them.
If we find something that's fitting to use on everything, i'll gladly put in the time to make the required changes.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 16:49   #17
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Bring back Clean Black tbh.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 17:17   #18
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
Now if someone is willing to supply us with skins, both for the game and portal, they are welcome to do so.
If the skins meet our approval, atm i can only really remember we've not added 2 skins supplied to us, we'll add them.
If we find something that's fitting to use on everything, i'll gladly put in the time to make the required changes.
I'm not after more skins, I don't think that most of the playerbase is either.

I'd like to see a decent default design for the portal and the game.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 17:24   #19
Juice
The liquid crusader

Juice is on a distinguished road

I rather like the round 23 skin, but then again I have no taste.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 17:45   #20
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
I'm not after more skins, I don't think that most of the playerbase is either.

I'd like to see a decent default design for the portal and the game.
but if what exist isn't usable as it, don't we need new ones?

and as Juice, there are ppl that like the r23 skin.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 18:42   #21
Jinstarro
the Jinsomniac

Jinstarro is on a distinguished road

I like the skin a lot. I always use the r23 skin. After several of rounds with clean black and the r21 skin, people got used to the all black skins. Once something new, something different appeared, people rejected it like it was a hamburger of cancer. People have already decided that all skins that are not all black and is not called clean black or r21 sucks. Some skins have strong colors and are tough for the eye, but the r23 looks very good to me. I believe that the r23 skin is more appealing for new players than any other of the skins.

It took me a few weeks to get used to the r23 skin, but after that I started enjoying the skin. And I've also used clean black for several rounds, but r23 is better. The skin is not perfect, but with some improvements I believe it could easily be the best skin we've had.

[r23skin]Jinstarro
Jinstarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 18:56   #22
GReaper
The BOFH

Quote:
but if what exist isn't usable as it, don't we need new ones?
You need a replacement for the awful default skin, not more crap alternatives which end up with a handful of users.

Quote:
and as Juice, there are ppl that like the r23 skin.
And even he admits he has no taste.

Yes there are bits of it which are okay, but there are so many flaws with the design which make it annoying to read.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 18:59   #23
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

in all honesty, i like the r23 skin - just not enough to use it over the r21 one. theres something with the transparency and spacing that bothers me.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 20:18   #24
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I use the r6-9 xan skin even when i'm not playing xan. That's how hardcore I am.
I did the same, only with the R6-9 Cathaar skin .
I tried mixing it up a bit though, with some less popular skins like some wierd psychedelic purple one. That was fun.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 20:33   #25
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Atleast it isn't as bad as TheGate skin.

Also, R6-9 Xan skin is the way to go. I also miss clean black, which was my favourite in R11.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 21:01   #26
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Why not hold a competition like you did a few rounds ago? scrap all old skins and just take the best 10 skins submitted and use those.

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 21:06   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

just because the skins are old, doesnt make them bad.

i wouldnt have thought that having too much choice would be a bad thing either.

just add new skins .

btw, i actually think changing the default to something controversial is a good thing, as it encourages people to look at all the other skins, rather than just immediately select the clean black .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 21:09   #28
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
btw, i actually think changing the default to something controversial is a good thing, as it encourages people to look at all the other skins, rather than just immediately select the clean black .
I could also argue that a fresh vote on skins each round would make people see all potential new entries. But i agree, it wasn't until the excel skin was pointed out 3 rounds ago that i realised i could play in work WITHOUT minimizing!

But in the same way we scrap round name suggestions each round to get a fresh idea, the same could be said for skins. And with the potential to extending it to a portal skin (is that what its called?) after every round too?

just ideas of course

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 21:15   #29
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I understand what you mean but I don't agree. Players don't always want to go through the effort of changing skin. If they log in for the first time that round and are confronted with a skin they don't like it will immediately act as an incentive not to play.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:12   #30
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinstarro
It took me a few weeks to get used to the r23 skin, but after that I started enjoying the skin.[r23skin]Jinstarro
Yeah, I'm sure if you were kicked in the balls everyday for weeks you'd get used to it too...
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:16   #31
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:20   #32
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

edit: that was an unfinished design btw
I like it, tho the curent portal has placed better all info and links on it... better concept.

this is something I shared in another game forums:

What I would like to see in a portal

5 catecories

1. Game info, login/signup info. Basicly tell its a online game site
2. Game help, news/announcements, manual, bcalcs, stats, techtree, tools
3. Community, alliances, players, past history, curent leader board
4. Discussions, active forum topics, new columns, kiwi, irc-link + info, way to contact tc admin, tell a friend option, open polls
5. GFX/logo some visualation to make the page look better and add some interest

the game info must be in place where it is seen the first thing u enter the page and from where u find it again when u come back. first priority to it.

game help is obvious to have a place to find all tools you need to do well in the game.

community should be rised up a lot more, its more than half of the game afterall.

discussion, show some activity inside community, wake up peoples interests!! IRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the logo and visualiton are there to make people think the game is more alive than just the text what it really is also it makes it nicer to view ofc.
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:29   #33
lenore
Coder/Fixer/Lover/Winnah

lenore has a spectacular aura aboutlenore has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You need a replacement for the awful default skin, not more crap alternatives which end up with a handful of users.
yes
for there to be a replacement one has to be coded/written
for one to be coded/written one has to be designed
for one to be designed someone has to design it
what cin is saying is if someone designs a really good replacement then he would happily make the portal etc fit in with this new design.

i honestly thought YOU wouldn't need this spelling out, i over estimated you and i apologize.
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:36   #34
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave
I like it, tho the curent portal has placed better all info and links on it... better concept.
I made that design before the current portal was even up and running and when nobody really knew what was going to be on the portal / where to put it / etc etc...

Though I'll take your other remarks into consideration since I'm tempted on designing a new portal lay-out & try to make a skin tbh.

If anybody wants to help (I really really suck bad at slicing in photoshop) plz pm me on IRC (nickname VdM can be found in alot of channels like #tof , #rock, ...) or send me a forum mail

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:38   #35
r2baz
Sonny Sunshine Champion

r2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to all

It's got to be Text only!

The Skins situation has been brought up a few times and as before i fear that if you want better skins or more of a choice then you better get out your graphic suites and start making them :P

It would probably cost a fair bit of money to get a designer to do this job and PA, in my experience, aint flush with cash. So.... once again it would fall to the community to come up with the goods. Not ideal but there you have it. If you think about it though it's actually quite a great part of this "community" I have no doubt that if somebody came up with the goods it would get used.

In the PA Teams defence they ask for help all the time and, well, get a lot of complaints and not a lot of help!

I would love better skins (one for a mobile phone please! ) but would have to concede that with limited human resources and cash to invest there are other things that the PA team are going have to prioritize over this.
r2baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:38   #36
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

The Round 23 skin is good.

Its other colors on it than black.
Its easy to understand.
It looks the same way as the login page.

So it all sums up to that Round 23 skin + login page the same = Good
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:46   #37
lenore
Coder/Fixer/Lover/Winnah

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2baz
It's got to be Text only!

The Skins situation has been brought up a few times and as before i fear that if you want better skins or more of a choice then you better get out your graphic suites and start making them :P

It would probably cost a fair bit of money to get a designer to do this job and PA, in my experience, aint flush with cash. So.... once again it would fall to the community to come up with the goods. Not ideal but there you have it. If you think about it though it's actually quite a great part of this "community" I have no doubt that if somebody came up with the goods it would get used.

In the PA Teams defence they ask for help all the time and, well, get a lot of complaints and not a lot of help!

I would love better skins (one for a mobile phone please! ) but would have to concede that with limited human resources and cash to invest there are other things that the PA team are going have to prioritize over this.
you sir, have hit the nail on the head precisely
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:50   #38
Ave

Quote:
I made that design before the current portal was even up and running and when nobody really knew what was going to be on the portal / where to put it / etc etc...

Though I'll take your other remarks into consideration since I'm tempted on designing a new portal lay-out & try to make a skin tbh.

If anybody wants to help (I really really suck bad at slicing in photoshop) plz pm me on IRC (nickname VdM can be found in alot of channels like #tof , #rock, ...) or send me a forum mail
well I dont mind if you come loan your "skills" to another project...? :P
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 22:54   #39
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritfire
So it all sums up to that Round 23 skin + login page the same = Good
but if u think the login page sux?

Unread 3 Jun 2008, 23:33   #40
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
Why not hold a competition like you did a few rounds ago? scrap all old skins and just take the best 10 skins submitted and use those.
we could, but if we scrapped old ones (which we won't), we'd end up with 1 or no skins....
we really don't get much sent in for competitions like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
But in the same way we scrap round name suggestions each round to get a fresh idea, the same could be said for skins. And with the potential to extending it to a portal skin (is that what its called?) after every round too?
Same as above really, before anything like that can be considered we'd need to have a rather steady stream of skins being sent in, and they'd need to have a good/high quality as well.

Reason we have the skins we do is that simple noone really bothers making them, i guess it's easier to just complain about those that are and about the ppl that's actually put work into providing them.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 00:08   #41
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Is there a good reason why we don't have some of the older ones?

Eg Newspaper, clean black.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 00:28   #42
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Is there a good reason why we don't have some of the older ones?

Eg Newspaper, clean black.
The skin system changed so all the old skins have to be remade to fit.
The old skins use a lot of images with text, and that text has to be updated both for the menu and page titles.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 01:02   #43
GReaper
The BOFH

Oh great, this has ended up as another thread where PA Team insists that the community has to help by submitting skins.

If you want help in improving the design then you need to put some effort into getting people suitable for it. Amazingly enough there is a thread for support team recruitment, as well as multihunter recruitment, yet absolutely no effort is made in any other area at all and it shows badly. You cannot rely on skins submitted by various people in the community for any quality, they might be half decent efforts but I seriously doubt they provide any form of decent image for the game.

Cin - whilst I'm sure people appreciate your efforts, you seriously need extra people onboard who have more experience in certain areas, especially with design.

From what I can tell you're doing most of the coding, which is fine. You're currently the only one doing occasional portal updates (we've been here before), let someone else do it who is actually willing to update it more than a couple of times a month. A decent graphics artist is also needed, someone you can work with instead of just receiving new designs. Most importantly a semi decent designer who can work with both the graphics artist and everyone else to bring a decent user interface to Planetarion, instead of it looking like it was created by a bunch of coders.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 01:22   #44
Makhil

I still have the Clean Black photoshop files, but I don't think it's good to go back on old skins (they had their lives), something new is needed.
I stopped doing skins coz I don't understand anything to the current template with CSS...
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 01:43   #45
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Quote:
Oh great, this has ended up as another thread where PA Team insists that the community has to help by submitting skins.
What is wrong with the community contributing?
The whole admin staff has come from the community, and only 3 of the current skins are created by the community. By allowing the community to contribute directly in a thing like this, they can create just about anything they want, naturally there are some limits. So why is this so wrong?
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 01:47   #46
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
I still have the Clean Black photoshop files, but I don't think it's good to go back on old skins (they had their lives), something new is needed.
And that is why there hasn't been put much/any effort into converting the old skins, sticking with the old ones all the time doesn't really "move things forward".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
I stopped doing skins coz I don't understand anything to the current template with CSS...
There are ppl that can help you sort that part, me included, if you make the skin as an image, i'm sure ppl can help you sort the rest.
Would probably be an idea to include them a bit underway to be on the safe side.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 02:07   #47
lenore
Coder/Fixer/Lover/Winnah

Quote:
Most importantly a semi decent designer who can work with both the graphics artist and everyone else to bring a decent user interface to Planetarion, instead of it looking like it was created by a bunch of coders.
i agree, shame none play this game it seems
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 02:46   #48
Cincinnatus
PA Team

btw, the skin it's being complained about, the r23, was done by a designer
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 07:37   #49
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If the future's what you are looking towards, scrap all the skins and replace them with a blank screen.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 09:01   #50
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
btw, the skin it's being complained about, the r23, was done by a designer
I suppose you can't please everyone :P

Ok heres another alternative, why not (when you have the time, or maybe someone else could do it?) write up a tutorial explaining how to make the most basic of skins etc. That way people are being helped along with the first step in creating a skin.

Its overwhelming looking at all this and trying to understand how it is done. I've still got all the files from the last skin competition you held. But if you write up something that explains how a skin is created or designed then you then have yourself a guide to getting something out the community.

I'm sure if you did this (well i hope) that you would see an increase in skin submissions.

And at the end of the day, lets face it, a lot of the round name suggestions are shit, but we still have to pick one.