User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 15 Dec 2007, 23:11   #1
Stuhlman

Stuhlman will become famous soon enoughStuhlman will become famous soon enough
Question Scanner Plan

Ok I decided to play a scanner role next round, However I never did a scanner tech consruction plan before. Can some expert scanners post their tick plans and comment on why it is the best course. Please do not forget also to comment on Goverment Race choice and why?

I know I could simply sit and do a plan, or ask my ally scanners for help, but this not what it's about. I want to know if there is different strategies for playing scanner...

Thanks in advance for any comments plans etc... and please any one posting try to comment only if it's related to subject, do not steer people away from subject thanks.

Cheers
Stuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 23:32   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Scanner Plan

Scanner tick plans? What the hell?

1) do scan tree
2) get amps
3) be immune

Done.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 00:31   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look at what race has inherent high research / fast construction rates, as well as Government choices (the latter being subject to change next round more than the former).

Pretty much what mz said though. Make sure your RP are maxed out, maintain 20% res labs, and otherwise build amps like a madman until you get AU's. Then shift population to construction to maximise.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 04:20   #4
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
I'd look at what race has inherent high research / fast construction rates, as well as Government choices (the latter being subject to change next round more than the former).

Pretty much what mz said though. Make sure your RP are maxed out, maintain 20% res labs, and otherwise build amps like a madman until you get AU's. Then shift population to construction to maximise.
I have found that in most cases construction is more important then research. The speed difference between a cath and a ter is only a day or two for research, and once you've got jpg research is not a big deal anymore. If your goal is to be a high amp scanner you should go terran so that you can get the construction bonus and pump an amp out every 4 ticks. Additionally you should probably pick the government that gives you the highest security rating incase covert opers come after your amps. Other then that... what the other guys said, it's not really all that complicated.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 04:30   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
IMake sure your RP are maxed out, maintain 20% res labs,
I'm not quite so sure about that - if you're building res labs, then you arent building amps later on due to having a max of 150 constructions. Unless you happen to arrange that someone will covert op those res labs away later (which is against the rules, however that could be kinda hard to anticipate if someone asks for a covert op on you in #transcendency or whatever that kills a reslab), then having res labs will prevent you from building (almost) entirely Amps for the rest of the round.

Personally, as i'm normally a DC, i tend to have a high amount of amps so i can scan virtually all incoming myself. So, as such, I build res labs, and (a couple) of refineries, shipyards etc. however, i'm far from a "scanner" - perhaps more an "amateur scanner" at best. If you want to be a proper scanner, you need to build as many amps as you can whilst ensuring that you're (essentially) immune from covert ops. Res labs do neither.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 04:48   #6
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Varies on who else you've got in your alliance as scanners and what they're doing.

Ideally you'll need someone going for amps as fast as possible with research as second priority to beat the dist whores. You'll also need someone with fast research and second priority on constructions to do jumpgate/AU scans for the first few raids whilst the other high amp scanners won't be able to do them.

I personally went for slightly more ship/mining researches than most scanners, yet I can still scan probably 98% or so of any scan requests. You don't need to go to extreme measures with your constructions to make a valuable contribution to your alliance in scanning.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 20:34   #7
Aragno
xVx techie

Aragno will become famous soon enoughAragno will become famous soon enough

Quote:

with 20% research labs you will not be able to scan the hard core dist whores. then you need max 2 factories and rest amps.

I'd rather have a high amp scanner than a scanner that gets jgp a few ticks faster.

[xVx]
Aragno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 02:00   #8
Paddy
ND for life

Paddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to beholdPaddy is a splendid one to behold

A proper terran high amp scanner gets jgp roughly 3 days after a cath scanner rushing for scans and aus about a week after. The delay is partly due to the slower research but also a lot is due to the extra construction researches needed. Also a cath scanner is never going to be able to keep up with determined dist whores anyway so if you're going cath you may as well get scans as quickly as possible. An alliance really needs both types of scanners if possible so how you play is really decided by who else is doing what in your alliance.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 06:50   #9
DeadOps
Forever VisioN

DeadOps is an unknown quantity at this point

just get amps and scans as quickly as possible and you will be fine, also good idea to not miss res/const ticks

Unread 10 Jan 2008, 18:22   #10
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

My tick plan for scans is as follows....

Built amps all the time.

Research waves until I'm the same number of ticks off my cons limit as the cons research, do the cons research I need, rinse, repeat.

The end.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:15   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It really depends on what type of scanner your alliance wants you to be.

If they want you to be an Amps scanner, go Terran, set construction to maximum and build amps as quickly as you can until you have 145+

If they want you to be a Scans scanner, go Cathaar, set research to maximum, build research labs and get JGPs as soon as possible. Once you have those and maybe mil scans, start hammering amps.