User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:07   #1
Gario
Why is * censored?

Gario is infamous around these partsGario is infamous around these parts
Greatest ever 'Emo' song

I used to be really into Punk, Trance and Metal, but lately I've got really into Emo music. So I'm asking you guys 'what is the greatest emo song of all time??'

I quite like 'I'm not okay' by My Chemical Romance and 'The greatest fall' by Matchbook Romance.

But I think the greatest of all time has to be 'Lonely' by Akon, this truly epitomises everything that Emo represents.
________
___
Gario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:20   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Greatest ever 'Emo' song

Well i wasnt expecting you to mention that song.
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:27   #3
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

After sorta reading the thread using the highlight thing, i must say i did not expect that song at all
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:32   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No!

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

No!
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:40   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i dont think dace approves...
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:51   #6
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Yahwe has been on a crusade against people who "point out the obvious" lately.
Just a friendly warning....
[obvious]well that's an uphill battle.[/obvious]
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 21:53   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i'll dig the bunker in the garden now then
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:19   #8
Phil^
Insomniac

Yahwes upper class though. He'd rather die then get his hands dirty going after someone whos dug themselves into a garden

Chances are he'll send his servant down instead though
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:24   #9
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

akon is emo?

are you sure?

anyway, the emo i like the most is alkaline trio, they actually manage to make the genre good.

\o/
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:27   #10
Ardy
Bored guy.

Ardy is on a distinguished road

Akon, emo?

Please..

Brand new/MCR would be my favourite semi-emo thingies.

HR for 12 rounds and counting.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:50   #11
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
akon is emo?

are you sure?

anyway, the emo i like the most is alkaline trio, they actually manage to make the genre good.

\o/
I actually catergorized Alkaline Trio as Punk...

Oh well.

But Blink 182 - Online Songs gets my vote.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:53   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

alkaline trio certainly were another fairly disposable "pop-punk" (lord i hate that phrase) band, albeit one with slightly more of a sense of rhythm than sum 41 or blink 182. i do hope they haven't completely forsaken what standards they had and reverted to emo (absolutely and unequivocally the worst genre and the worst kind of music fan presently in existance)
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 22:57   #13
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
alkaline trio certainly were another fairly disposable "pop-punk" (lord i hate that phrase) band, albeit one with slightly more of a sense of rhythm than sum 41 or blink 182. i do hope they haven't completely forsaken what standards they had and reverted to emo (absolutely and unequivocally the worst genre and the worst kind of music fan presently in existance)
So what category did the album From Here to Infirmary fell under?
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 23:08   #14
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I actually catergorized Alkaline Trio as Punk...

Oh well.

But Blink 182 - Online Songs gets my vote.
its punk with emotional lyrics, hence emo.

but im not going to have YET ANOTHER argument about the definition of emo, so lets just leave it there you have your definition, i have mine.
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 23:09   #15
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Slipknot - Wait and Bleed
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 23:13   #16
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
its punk with emotional lyrics, hence emo.

but im not going to have YET ANOTHER argument about the definition of emo, so lets just leave it there you have your definition, i have mine.
I wasn't going to get into an argument....
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 23:15   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
I wasn't going to get into an argument....
phang would though
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 23:54   #18
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
phang would though
yes because you think punk can be taken to mean either 'politically-motivated music', which is what the dictionary or wiki or for that matter punks might term it as, or 'whatever the ****ing hell i like' which you and blink 182 term it as
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:00   #19
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

EMO

Estate Management Office
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:11   #20
RiXX
pr0nman

RiXX can only hope to improve

This thread needs to die

Quote:
So what category did the album From Here to Infirmary fell under?
pop...

Quote:
Its punk with emotional lyrics, hence emo.
I really don't think you can classify the vast majority of emo as anything resembling punk. If you want to hear punk with emotion, listen to some Conflict, Subhumans or something ffs. There is a world outside of Funeral For A Friend

r7 - noob | r12 - VsN | r13 - VsN | r14 - NewDawn | r15 - InSomnia | r16 - SiN | r17 - InSomnia
RiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:14   #21
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXX
There is a world outside of Funeral For A Friend
A lot of emo listeners know that though....
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 00:27   #22
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
A lot of emo listeners know that though....
aye, but the ones who think emo is in ANY WAY related to punk obviously dinnae.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 02:27   #23
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Dashboard Confessional - Screaming Infidelities / This Brilliant Dance / Again I Go Unnoticed / Pretty much anything...
All extremely emo.

Maybe not 'greatest emo' but quite possibly 'most emo'.
I'll have to get back to you on what the 'greatest' is.
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 02:31   #24
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Taking Back Sunday - Ghost Man On Third

or

Brand New - The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

OR

Brand New - Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 02:50   #25
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMak
Taking Back Sunday - Cute without the E (cut from the team)

or

OR

FTW etc
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 13:39   #26
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I woul classify Alkaline trio as Emo. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Ataris yet, the epitomy of Emo.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 13:48   #27
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMak

OR

(was actually what I was gonna say)
Or Jude Law and the Semester abroad or Failure By Design

Also:
Hell Is For Heroes - anything off the Neon Handshake get's an
Taking back sunday and My Chemical Romance are pretty good too.

Where's Jerome though? as he seems to be most knowledgable about emo.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 14:01   #28
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

What on earth is emo?
________
Samantax

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:07.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 18:23   #29
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
:Hell Is For Heroes - anything off the Neon Handshake get's an

hell is for heros.... EMO???

WTF

btw what about their new alb... awsome..
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 19:23   #30
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
As you can see from this thread there's some different opinons about what constitues emo, but generally one can say that Emo (an abbreviation of "emotional-hardcore") is used to describe almost any form of guitar-driven alternative rock that expresses emotions beyond traditional punk's limited emotional palette of alienation and rage.

The term itself originated as a way to describe the music of the mid-1980s D.C. scene and associated bands, mainly Rites of Spring and Embrace, as well as bands such as Moss Icon, and Dag Nasty.
The term addressed both the way the band connected with its audience, as well as its tendency to deal more with topics of personal and relationship politics than with the standard themes of rock music, although none of the members of the originating bands invented the term itself, nor purposely applied it to themselves.
The label was applied by outside critics or journalists and many acts and fans consider the word itself a pejorative. In recent times however, moreso than with most other muscial genres, the term "emo" has been subject to social perception above objective guidelines.
What bands are or aren't emo is therefore highly subjective and contested amongst those with an interest in the genre.
As a result the term emo has two main uses; as a label for the genre outlined above and as a multi-purpose adjective and umbrella term used to describe a large cross-section of music and popular culture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 19:42   #31
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...musical_groups It says New Found Glory - HAHAHAHAHAHA

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 19:54   #32
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

new found glory aren't quite as absurd as "akon" though.

but i do expect better from wiki
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:03   #33
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
aye, but the ones who think emo is in ANY WAY related to punk obviously dinnae.
But you can have a mixture of two right?

That's why I classify the likes Blink 182 and New Found Glory as Emo-Punk.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:10   #34
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
But you can have a mixture of two right?

That's why I classify the likes Blink 182 and New Found Glory as Emo-Punk.
in what way can either be termed as 'punk'?

i'd let you have hardcore, albeit grudgingly, but most bands that call themselves "something-punk" (pop-punk, ska-punk, or for that matter 'emo-punk') have no political message which makes them, in fact, not punks. john cooper-clarke was a punk; mark hoppus is not.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:12   #35
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the ataris - Sumer Wind Used to be our song - Classic Emo

Anything off the Blue Album or Pinkerton by Weezer. the band that pretty much created modern day Emo.

I wouldn't call Blink 182 Emo as they aren't quite as serious and depressed as most Emo bands tend to be. their quirkiness and child-like aura should classify them as pop-punk.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:16   #36
Ste
Bored

Quote:

i'd let you have hardcore, albeit grudgingly, but most bands that call themselves "something-punk" (pop-punk, ska-punk, or for that matter 'emo-punk') have no political message which makes them, in fact, not punks. john cooper-clarke was a punk; mark hoppus is not.
hold on, are you saying NFG and Blink could possibly be called hardcore? they're further from hardcore than they are punk!
pop-rock is what I'd go for.
And saying they must be political to be defined as punk depends on what topics your political umbrella covers.

Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:20   #37
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
hold on, are you saying NFG and Blink could possibly be called hardcore? they're further from hardcore than they are punk!
pop-rock is what I'd go for.
that's why i said 'grudgingly'. pop-rock is indeed more accurate, and whiny-faggot yet more so.
Quote:
And saying they must be political to be defined as punk depends on what topics your political umbrella covers.
excuse me?
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:21   #38
Blastoderm
________

Quote:

I see the point you're coming with. The way I see it, if I say something was punk it's probably down to the type of music that's being played and 'sometimes' not the lyrics. The punk of the 70s (musically) has changed to the one of today.

So people have categorised Blink 182 (and the likes of them e.g. New Found Glory, etc.) as a bit of punk (due to the music) and combined it with Emo.... that's what they are now to a lot of people.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:30   #39
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
I see the point you're coming with. The way I see it, if I say something was punk it's probably down to the type of music that's being played and 'sometimes' not the lyrics. The punk of the 70s (musically) has changed to the one of today.

So people have categorised Blink 182 (and the likes of them e.g. New Found Glory, etc.) as a bit of punk (due to the music) and combined it with Emo.... that's what they are now to a lot of people.
yes, and it irks me greatly from not only a musical but also from a linguistic perspective. punk music MEANS political protest music. that's what the word MEANS. It really shouldn't be a changeable definition, much in the way that, for example, the word 'teapot' should always indicate a vessel designed for a drink made of water and tea leaves. ska-punk, for example, is a definition which is more than reasonable when dealing with the Special AKA, but absurd when dealing with less than jake. i appreciate that the popular meaning is different to the actual meaning of the word, but i dislike, and intend to make a point of fighting, this wherever i can.

oh, and as i said: punk has nothing to do with the manner of the music played. this is where hardcore comes in as a handy term. punk often follows a certain musical pattern (hardcore) but DOESN'T HAVE TO. the sex pistols, NOFX, pennywise and so on all typefy the hardcore style of punk, but the aforementioned john cooper-clarke sang poetry with an occasional musical accompaniment. bad religion's second album sounded like pink floyd but was still punk on account of the strong message it conveyed.
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:32   #40
Ste
Bored

blink-182 and NFG are NOT emo!

Phang - I'm talking about the whole "everything can be political" thing.

Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:35   #41
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
blink-182 and NFG are NOT emo!
I'm with Deepflow on that issue dear. I think they're emo.

*shrug*
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:49   #42
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Phang - I'm talking about the whole "everything can be political" thing.
ah, that old chestnut. almost as relevant as it is accurate.

anyway. do bands with song names like 'Kyoto Now' or 'Anarchy in the UK' or 'I Was A Pre-Teen McCarthyist' or 'WTO' not strike you as being of somewhat a different focus to those responsible for 'The Rock Show' or 'My Friends Over You'? Do you accept that one can easily gel with the concept of 'politically motivated' whereas the other has JUST A LITTLE more difficulty in that regard?
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 22:51   #43
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

actually you arent, i dont happen to think those two are.

alkaline trio, on the other hand, are
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 02:40   #44
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

Personally, Hell Is For Heroes, blink, NFG are Not emo.
BUT, I don't think of Jimmy Eat World as emo - yet actually looking at their songs/lyrics they seem so. I think this is because I started listening to them before I came accross the 'emo genre.'

So on reflection, I suppose:
blink182 could be considered emo for a lot of their songs.
Hell is For Heroes, no. But Neon Handshake rocks so hard I'll forgive you.
NFG. Well they suck. I don't listen to them. So I don't know.
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 02:41   #45
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

P.S.
Underoath are Christian Rock ?!

Well I never. They hid that well. (Still kick arse tho)
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 03:36   #46
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

My question is this... Akon? dear god, is that the chap that came from Somalia? The one with the irritating nasal voice?

The reason I ask is that he is ostensibly a "New Zealand" artist, and it was my hope that his musical "skillz" would not be imposed on the world at large

Dark times indeed.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 06:32   #47
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Arguing about definitions of punk online, this is so retro Internet, I’ll be expecting the Internet punk heirchary to be rolled out soon to give us all a lists of bands we can call hardcore

Punk means different things to different people, there’s no all encompassing definition, that’s what makes the scene so great. Arguing your view of “what punk is” is retarded, you’re never going to convince anyone else that your view is right and no matter how many times you post you’ll still come off sounding like a 15 year old screaming “XYZ HAS SOLD OUT THEYRE NOT HARDCORE”.

Back on topic even though I don’t really like much emo I’ll go for “Giving Up On Love” by The Ataris for always managing to get played when I break up with girls.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 09:00   #48
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Brand New are quite good, if we're calling them "emo", but I don't really understand what that means. Punk music with emotional lyrics is reasonable as definitions go but surely that classifies almost all lyrics? Music wouldn't be very good if it didn't inspire some emotion.

Also, Hicks is right. And I don't mean me in the third person.

My favourite "punk" tunes at the moment are "One More Drink" by Discipline, "Moonshine Song" by GBH and "I'm Going To Hell For This One" by NOFX.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 09:34   #49
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling

The reason I ask is that he is ostensibly a "New Zealand" artist, and it was my hope that his musical "skillz" would not be imposed on the world at large

Dark times indeed.
Actually he only featured on Moonshine because Savage met him or 'hooked up' in rap speak when he visited the USA.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 09:49   #50
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Brand New are quite good, if we're calling them "emo", but I don't really understand what that means. Punk music with emotional lyrics is reasonable as definitions go but surely that classifies almost all lyrics? Music wouldn't be very good if it didn't inspire some emotion.
I believe the difference in lyrics between emo and punk is generally because punk lyrics are normally "political" whereas emo lyrics are "emotional". Obviously there can be some sort of overlap, but its not THAT common, bands are normally one or the other.

By emotional i of course mean whiny "waa waa waa life is shit she left me im going to cut myself" type lyrics.