User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:15   #1
Phnx

Phnx is an unknown quantity at this point
Novelty Round

id like to suggest running a round with the round four game stats loaded as an alternative to havoc, or on the speedgame server, i think it would be good fun to run an old school round with single race, single targetting, old tech tree, etc

if the old code no longer exists or if it wouldnt be possible to implement it then would it be possible to run a stripped out carnage version of the current code, simplified tech tree, disable co-ops, one race, single targetting, but keep all the good new features such as inbuilt bcalc, alliances etc.

with regard to gal setup - i think completely random gals, made up of 10 planets, 5 gals to a cluster, with travel advantages for cluster, parallel and alliance.

i know this needs a lot of discussion, but i think it could work and i think that a game like this could tempt people back. i havent played since r10, and i was tempted back, surely PA team have a list of email address of all the people who have signed up in the past, cant they all be e-mail shotted offering a free old school round for a month and a discounted sign up to a full round?

this game was awesome back when we had ~180,000 players and im sure we'd all welcome a few more active accounts into the game?

just a suggestion, id love to know what you all think.

Phnx [VsN]
Phnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:21   #2
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about
Re: Novelty Round

Round 4 stats had multi-targetting and war/science path. While thatīs technically not two races, itīs certainly not "a single race" in the way you meant it :P

Also, Iīm pretty sure any code from pre-PAX got deleted long ago. Ideas like this have been brought up every now and then and usually left the guy who posted it disappointed about the technical problem of making it happen :P
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:21   #3
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

180,000 was back in the days when everyone had 3 normal planets, one scanplanet, and a few planets for donations.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:22   #4
Bazza[RB]

Bazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura aboutBazza[RB] has a spectacular aura about

Hell - why not?. Could be fun - just don't bring back turrets - hated those :P

Played every round since r2. RB/Fury/Eclipse/Kralizec/MISTU/Angels/Urwins/Jenova/VisioN/audentes/xVx/Osiris/apprime/FaNG/Ultores/p3n/Mercenaries/ZT/ND
Bazza[RB] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:25   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's a lot of potential in the game for doing different things each round to try and keep up the variation. Full random galaxies next round would be something I'd be in favour of regardless. As people say the code is all gone at this stage. A lot of the stuff you mention would be implementable I imagine. Appoco's war/science thing for the speedgames a couple of years back was pretty awesome for example.
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 14:31   #6
Phnx

Phnx is an unknown quantity at this point

i mean ultra simplified, take out population, race choice, covert ops etc literally one race, with one of two different ships of each class, perhaps the ability to steal, emp and cloak altogether, maybe not.. again discussion needed.

Simplified tech tree, with fixed completion times, no CP/RP etc

What do you think of the gal/cluster setup?
Phnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 17:57   #7
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Hate to point out the "Bleedin" obvious but where are you going to get the code?

Or who are you going to get to code it from Scratch?

It doesn't exist any more in any way shape or form.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2010, 21:03   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It would mostly be a matter of stripping things out of the current code, rather than adding anything new.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote