User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Jul 2007, 01:47   #1
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough
new laptop

ok guys i have had my hp 17" laptop for like 2 years+ now its a bit of a beast with a 3.06ghz p4 processor in it. The problem is it has taken a bit of abuse and i busted the cd drive on it.

Im really bored of lugging around a 17" beast i want a 15.4 now

the question i have tho is i use it for gameing mostly and i really wanna get one with a 512 dedicated graphics card for gameing, but i cant seem to find one anywhere with a 15" screen. Needs to be a good spec of laptop really...

any ideas?
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 01:55   #2
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: new laptop

www.novatech.co.uk

EDIT: Never mind, their 15.4" range only has 256MB cards. Only the 17" one has a 512MB card
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 08:15   #3
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

are you sure you wouldn't be better off getting a 12-14" cheap laptop and a desktop? Gaming laptops are expensive and burn you. (This is the voice of rueful experience here.)
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 11:50   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Video cards rarely come with 512mb when it's below 17" size, but a few Asus models and some Zepto/Compal (to name a few) have been fielding 512mb versions of x600 and x700 series (1600, 1700, 7600, 7700, ATI and nVidia respectively). For those cards, it probably makes little difference whether there's 256 or 512, as it can't run anything on a high enough resolution to actually require the memory anyways. You're probably good off waiting for a week or two or so - currently for nVidia the Go 8600, 8400 are pretty much on the market (with at least Zepto fitting a 8600GT on a 14.1", and probably Asus too). 8700 is thereabouts, and they say it's roughly equal by performance to a Go7950 series. The Asus C90S is being talked a lot about, but then again it fields a desktop processor so I'd be careful with it.

Generally, 14.1" is the optimal compact performance-portability, but you'll want to watch carefully not to buy one of those hotheads Phang seems to have experience of. I'd recommend you pop by at Notebookreview, browse through the forums, and leave a post there for the "experts" to judge around. 15.4" and 14.1" will (probably) never be fielding x800 or x900 series, though, so that's a compromise you will have to take if you plan on desizing on a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
are you sure you wouldn't be better off getting a 12-14" cheap laptop and a desktop? Gaming laptops are expensive and burn you. (This is the voice of rueful experience here.)
Expensive, relatively. It'll probably still be cheaper than a 12-14" and a desktop. What comes to gaming laptops burning you, if you buy a laptop with a poor heatsink, insufficient ventilation, a prescott chip (Dell using already overly hot desktop processors on laptops), and a poorly designed case it's really down to your stupidity. The vast majority of gaming laptops won't burn you, but if you pick a bad one, obviously you'll be up for a rueful experience. But I guess it applies to everything. Buy a bad product, and you'll probably be unhappy with it.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 19:50   #5
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough

been looking at alienware, are they any good? the laptop is going to be used for gameing
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 20:01   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They will burn your flesh. The build quality can be very poor. If you're tired of lugging around a 17.4" laptop, these are worse.

Gaming laptops have shitty battery life, they're heavy, they're hot. They will not have Direct X 10 graphics cards.

For the price of a "gaming laptop" you could buy a non-gaming laptop and a pretty top of the range tower, and still have money left over.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 08:47   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why would you want to use a laptop for gaming, are you that desperate to play WoW on the train?

Get a desktop PC and a PSP.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 16:16   #8
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i personally like laptops that have enough power/ram etc not to go out of date for a reasonable time, but there's no point in getting dedicated gaming laptops, because you can't upgrade (easily or cheaply) the components like you can on a pc. Like everyone else seems to be saying, buy a gaming tower and a moderate small laptop.
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 19:40   #9
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a gaming laptop specifically?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 09:38   #10
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
They will not have Direct X 10 graphics cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8m.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/wtb_not...ml#eightSeries

Last edited by Ramihyn; 8 Jul 2007 at 09:50.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 12:02   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
They will burn your flesh. The build quality can be very poor. If you're tired of lugging around a 17.4" laptop, these are worse.
Agreed. (About Alienware).

Quote:
Gaming laptops have shitty battery life, they're heavy, they're hot. They will not have Direct X 10 graphics cards.
Disagreed. What comes to battery life, obviously an ultraportable will provide more. They're not hot unless they're poorly built. They already do have, as pointed out, Dx10 hardware (it has been on the market for few months by now, so it's nothing new either). Thirdly, I don't reckon two and a half kilos is too much for something you carry around. If it is, you'll probably need to look for the reason somewhere elsewhere.

I've used a laptop with a GeForce Go 7600, and a T7200, and I've never had any issues with the laptop burning my flesh, five pounds isn't too much for a person of my build to carry around. Granted, it only runs two hours worth movie. It's very rare when I'm around with no plug, though.

Quote:
For the price of a "gaming laptop" you could buy a non-gaming laptop and a pretty top of the range tower, and still have money left over.
For 1200e, you can get a laptop at 14.1", a little below 2.5 kilos, Santa Rosa/T7100, 2GB RAM, and a GeForce Go 8600GT. Nobody is making you buy an overly priced Rock/Alienware/Voodoo gaming laptop, as you can just either order yours from Compal or Clevo, who build the cases (rest comes from other manufacturers obviously) for the mentioned anyways, or get an Asus. 1200e is definately not going to get you a "top-range" non-gaming laptop (assuming we're talking about ultraportables here, ie. the ones with 8-hour drives, ULV-processors, LCD backlights, and a carbon fibre case; if not, then you'll obviously get one cheaper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
i personally like laptops that have enough power/ram etc not to go out of date for a reasonable time, but there's no point in getting dedicated gaming laptops, because you can't upgrade (easily or cheaply) the components like you can on a pc. Like everyone else seems to be saying, buy a gaming tower and a moderate small laptop.
Pretty much true. Gets a little more expensive buying them ceparately, but worth it. Upgradeability is something that is only coming at the moment, as in Asus' C90S builds can be quite easily upgraded in what comes to video card, processor, hard drive, and RAM. Beyond that, it's obviously difficult, but changing the motherboard isn't so simple on PC either, and usually is part of a complete revamp anyways.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote