User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Sep 2005, 11:32   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Should be in ICT Discussions but hey

I want to sort out some sort of wireless connection at home.

I'm currently lodging, and the family have a computer downstairs on NTL Broadband. They don't have a problem with me installing stuff or leaving a router by it.

At the moment it goes:

Cable -> NTL Broadband Modem -> Home Computer

I want it to be connected to my laptop upstairs.

Am I right in thinking that to do this I need to purchase a router, so the connection goes:

Cable -> NTL Broadband Modem -> Wireless Router -> Home Computer

And then stick a wireless network card in my laptop, so it works?

Also - what is the difference between an "ADSL wireless router" and a "Broadband wireless router"? Is there any? I don't want to buy the wrong thing and go through the hassle of returning it etc.

Thanks
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 13:22   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Should be in ICT Discussions but hey

ADSL will have an RJ11 connection for the internet and likely will include a modem in it for connection purposes. If NTL use the same as Blueyonder (which I believe they do) a standard network cable will come out of the modem and into the router - so all you need do is make sure the WAN port of the router is RJ45.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 13:24   #3
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I want to sort out some sort of wireless connection at home.

I'm currently lodging, and the family have a computer downstairs on NTL Broadband. They don't have a problem with me installing stuff or leaving a router by it.

At the moment it goes:

Cable -> NTL Broadband Modem -> Home Computer

I want it to be connected to my laptop upstairs.

Am I right in thinking that to do this I need to purchase a router, so the connection goes:

Cable -> NTL Broadband Modem -> Wireless Router -> Home Computer

And then stick a wireless network card in my laptop, so it works?

Also - what is the difference between an "ADSL wireless router" and a "Broadband wireless router"? Is there any? I don't want to buy the wrong thing and go through the hassle of returning it etc.

Thanks
Moderators! move this at once!

Nah only kidding. I'm not too sure about NTL because I thought they were cable and not ADSL?

Anyway, I have an ADSL wireless router (linksys wrt54g) and its just a normal router. Some have an adsl modem built into them which is unneccesarily expensive.

Apart from that, your idea seems right - as long as your NTL modem thing has an ethernet port on it which you can connect with an RJ45 cable to the router.
________
Yamaha XV535

Last edited by Arachnidman; 25 Jan 2011 at 13:47.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 13:40   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I get a really bad signal from my wireless router
at least I can connect sometimes tho...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 13:48   #5
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

For us to tell you for certain what you need to buy, you will need to tell us exactly what modem you have.

Note: NTL supply both cable and ADSL these days.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote