User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:19   #1
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
um... can someone help

so one of my work colleagues is recieving what to me appears to be a dubious e mail claiming to be from argos, except its from a site called www.argos-email.co.uk which, if you visit it, re-directs to argos.co.uk, is there any way to check if this legitimately belongs to argos or not? (short of e mailing argos themselves)
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:39   #2
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: um... can someone help

Quote:
Domain Name:
argos-email.co.uk

Registrant:
Argos Limited

Registrant's Address:
Argos Limited
489-499 Avebury Boulevard
Saxon Gate West
Central Milton Keyne
Bucks
MK9 2NW
GB

Registrant's Agent:
NetNames Limited [Tag = NETNAMES]
URL: http://www.netnames.co.uk

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 21-Feb-2003
Renewal Date: 21-Feb-2007
Last updated: 01-Sep-2005

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
ns1.netdecisions.co.uk 80.85.71.30
ns2.netdecisions.co.uk 62.190.34.75

WHOIS database last updated at 18:35:01 28-Sep-2005
Quote:
Domain Name:
argos.co.uk

Registrant:
Argos Ltd

Registrant's Address:
ARGOS LTD
Avebury
489-499 Avebury Boulevard
Saxon Gate West
Central Milton Keynes
MK9 2NW
GB

Registrant's Agent:
PSINet UK Ltd [Tag = PSINET]
URL: http://www.uk.psi.com

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: Before Aug-1996
Renewal Date: 09-Jul-2007
Last updated: 29-Jun-2005

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
pri1.dns.uk.psi.net 154.32.105.30
pri2.dns.uk.psi.net 154.32.107.30
pri3.dns.uk.psi.net 154.32.109.30

WHOIS database last updated at 18:35:01 28-Sep-2005
There are a lot of Argos email addresses on their "contact us" page and they're all [email protected] so personally I wouldn't trust argos-email.co.uk with anything valuable.

Last edited by 1-X; 28 Sep 2005 at 18:52.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:41   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: um... can someone help

Well, you can always do a whois on the domain name. Parts of email headers can be forged, though, so if they want money for some too-good-to-be-true deal you should probably contact them directly.

[edit]beaten by 1-X [/edit]
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:51   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

do the links go directly to that site? or not?
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:54   #5
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Even though argos-email.co.uk might really be part of Argos, it doesn't mean that the email is actually coming from argos-email.co.uk. You'd need to check the email headers etc

What exactly does the email say? does it try and sell you something or bleed money out of you in some other way?
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 18:58   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Even though argos-email.co.uk is registered to the same street address as argos.co.uk doesn't mean it's really part of Argos either.
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 19:04   #7
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I only posted them so that everyone wouldn't have to do individual "whoises".

As I've already posted above, I wouldn't trust argos-email (without confirmation from the official argos contact address)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 19:11   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

if in doubt, i would mail the company. i recently recived a really brillant fake of a bill from my isp.
or you could check the header of the email. the from-adress can be faked easily. check what it says in 'Received: from', then do a whois on that adress. if its from some strange adress somewhere in south america its probably a fake
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 19:36   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
if in doubt, i would mail the company. i recently recived a really brillant fake of a bill from my isp.
or you could check the header of the email. the from-adress can be faked easily. check what it says in 'Received: from', then do a whois on that adress. if its from some strange adress somewhere in south america its probably a fake
err, WHAT ?

don't use the received from field you tool, it can be faked incredibly easily (usualy by lying to an email server which just accepts it.)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 20:11   #10
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
err, WHAT ?

don't use the received from field you tool, it can be faked incredibly easily (usualy by lying to an email server which just accepts it.)
A.K.A Open Relay servers.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 20:15   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

the simplest way to find out if they are legit is to give them your CC number + bank account numbers/passwords etc.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 20:24   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
A.K.A Open Relay servers.
actually no, an open rely accepts mail from anywhere, but thats nothing to do with th e from address being checked, it's because they accept mail from any IP range rather than specific ones , or ones with a certain reverse dns.

Even mail servers which arent open relays can be given fake from addresses and they'll send it just fine.

(The above only applies to SMTP servers of course, there are other types, they are just much less common)

(I did my uni dissertation on mail servers, and i've written email servers and clients including my own email protocol which couldn't be spoofed. In some ways i wish i didn't know quite so much about it )
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 21:58   #13
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i can confirm that that's where argos head office is.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:06   #14
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
actually no, an open rely accepts mail from anywhere, but thats nothing to do with th e from address being checked, it's because they accept mail from any IP range rather than specific ones , or ones with a certain reverse dns.

Even mail servers which arent open relays can be given fake from addresses and they'll send it just fine.

(The above only applies to SMTP servers of course, there are other types, they are just much less common)

(I did my uni dissertation on mail servers, and i've written email servers and clients including my own email protocol which couldn't be spoofed. In some ways i wish i didn't know quite so much about it )
Pedantry will get you no where.

Non open relay servers mean whoever is sending has legitimate access. Trace email back to originating IP and you have the individual or the organisation with whom the individual is employed.

If you were going to do this, spoof an email, would you or would you not use an open relay server to do it? Open relay will accept mail and forward from anyone, anywhere. Thats the point on using an open relay server to do it. I know it's not the fact that it's an open relay server which allows you to spoof the email address, but it's the open relay server that gives you a decent chance at getting away with it.

telnet open.relay.server.com 25
helo
mail from: [email protected]
rcpt to: [email protected]
data
i am your god. bow before me.
Message queued for sending

So. As soon as you tried to send on a non open relay server, you'd get an unable to relay error, unless you were a 'legitimate' user of said server.

[edit]
And most decent email servers will allow you to set relaying to only send messages which come from the servers authorative domain and IP range / RDNS - little extra security. I can VPN into my office, but they don't want the mail server sending mail out from non company domains.

Not that it would matter what they want, being the only Exchange admin in the company.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2005, 23:39   #15
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
err, WHAT ?

you can fake the mailserver an email came from? i dont know much about this whole stuff, but for me a line like:
Received: from <some.server> by <my-isp's-mailserver>
looks like it came from the server that received that email rather than the one which send it.
what else could you possibly check in an email-header?
I only knew you can fake the from-adress and thats quite usefull.

Last edited by wu_trax; 28 Sep 2005 at 23:47.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 00:11   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

cheers, that was along the lines of what i though, they arent actually trying to get any money out of her - yet - just saying that they have the best deals!!!!!! (the exclamation marks put me on edge as well - no legit company would use that many)
might report them to argos tomorrow, see what they say
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 09:16   #17
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

I had a similar email from someone pretending to be HSBC bank saying it was a security update and i should enter my details so i knew even before checking it was a fake, since i bank with HSBC i thought i would give them a ring and inform them of the scam email with their name on. After several minutes of being put through to the wrong departments i get through to the IT Department, i explain the situation and the bloke asks "what do you want us to do about it?" and treats me like some moany bastard who is trying to scam his way to some free money, he didn't even ask me to forward the email.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get the same sort of response from Argos.

Last edited by PSH; 29 Sep 2005 at 11:51.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 11:50   #18
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i got an email from this guy in africa saying that he needed my money to transport him over to england and once he was here he'd split his fortune with me. he just needed access to the country.

so i sent off my credit card details and authorised it all ok.

he's not been in contact for a few months now, even though he took my money. i think he's held up somewhere - i can't wait to become rich!!!
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 11:51   #19
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Jammy git.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 13:29   #20
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

You should send him more money. You probably didn't give him enough, and so he had to use it to buy things to make his own boat and row across.