User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 6 Dec 2009, 17:29   #1
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold
Changes to construction costs

I've noticed that alot of planets around seem to be stopping at 100 constructions, while to some people this may seem a nice relaxing way to end a round it seems somewhat strange to me and I would like to see a restructing to the way costs of constructions are calculated. I am not proposing any radical changes here, nor do I expect them to have huge impacts on the game.

The change I am suggesting is instead of calculating costs in terms of total constructions, do it via how many of that construction you already have. For example:

You currently have:

5 factories of each type, 100 dists, 20 FC's and 5 amps. If the planet desired a 6th factory it would cost 6,000 of each rather than 136,000 of each it would cost under the current system. To buy another dist it would cost 101,000 another FC it would cost 21,000 etc.

The advantages of this change are that:
a) Under-used constructions such as refineries become a more viable option, especially in late game.
b) It becomes comparitively harder and more expensive to make a strong dist/amp planet (which equally could be argued as a downside)
c) Constructions continue to be bought all through-out the round rather than people stopping with 2 weeks togo.

The most obvious disadvantage is that it adds a mild level of complexity for the new player that they dont understand and potentially changes the dynamic of the game very little.

I just feel currently constructions are under-valued and often at the end of the round become too expensive to invest in. Havent really considered all potential downsides or upsides of the idea but would welcome all thoughts on the subject.

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2009, 17:36   #2
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road
Re: Changes to construction costs

Unless I'm doing the math wrong, I think constructions stop being worth it (in terms of points) after 50. That is, you get more points by using the resources for ships than you do for constructions.

Obviously, constructions have value for more than just 1500 points. But, I like your idea.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2009, 17:51   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

With a 40% bonus, if you make your 150th construction a refinery, you need 212 ticks for it to pay off. With a 63% bonus (25+8+30), you only need 182 ticks. For all races except Cath, it's doable to get 140 constructions without losing money on them. Ter and Xan have the advantage of fast constructions, so they should be able to get 150 easily, while Caths will struggle to get 130. Zik and Etd float in between them, depending a bit on government and population priorities. I think this is precisely the way it should be.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 6 Dec 2009 at 18:05. Reason: typo
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2009, 18:04   #4
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about

Iīm not quite sure if a change in construction costs is neccessary. While your suggestion ainīt bad and doesnīt have serious flaws (at first sight at least I didnīt notice any), itīs pretty much depending on the personal point of view on constructions whether this change is of any use or not.
In my oppinion, the worth of a construction is not determined by 1.5k score. The construction setup is a strategic decision one should think about. I guess many players donīt consider more then 100 constructions useful due to the costs, but thatīs simply their choice. If for example your average attacker has too many dists for you and you get faked to death, you will consider building more amps, no matter at what construction cost, as they have some strategic value for you.
Obviously, I donīt think itīs really neccessary.
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2009, 15:17   #5
Bams
Virus Champion

Bams is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of being able to construct more refineries near an endgame, but I have to agree on rul3rs point that the strategic value of implementing such new cost-system is not really adding much to the game since we already have multiple strategies on building / not building constructions. It would merely create a different approach on building constructions and substitute the current strategies than really add new features imo.
R32: EC (rank 21)
R33: Round off
R34: P3ng! (rank 84) - sry drinker

Bams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2009, 17:31   #6
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I agree with this.

And doing so means that SK's can be made into pod classes...

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote