User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 1 Sep 2006, 14:33   #1
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Fr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb Race Equalization.

Now before you all take a pop and shoot me before I open my mouth again!

Ill state my reasons why! I am even suggesting this!

1) It would even the odds of the game up.
2) First come first serve!
3) Paid accounts have priority ie (they can choose there race and be placed in a que.)

1) To try and balance up the game a bit, Could free accounts have there race chosen for them to try and even up the numbers of races?

2) Say if there are 3 accounts signed up each zik / xan / cath and you try and choose cath it will not allow you because there is already a cath so you have to choose terran. This encorages people to play different races and you can also choose to que for a race. Ie your placed into a que for a race and it comes on a first come first serve basis. (For paid accounts)

This would not only even up the game odds but also be a more tatical game as more or less there would be about the same amount of races. It would be very interesting to to see what would happen if all the races are even.

This is only an idea but think what I said and have written carefully before replying. Rather than just flaming....
Fr0sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 14:59   #2
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Race Equalization.

thing is with race equalization it will be impossible; if you have equal amounts of each race, there will still be one "predominant" race which has a big stick, plus it would make Ziks much more powerful [not that thats a bad thing ]
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 15:05   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think there are still definitely some problems with this.

Some people particularly prefer a certain race; there are people who always want to play cath, or xand, or particularly zik. If not allowed to choose their race, I'm pretty sure I know people who would quit (often experienced players who only enjoy stealing or XP whoring). Why should you not be able to choose your race?

Race choice is also a tactical choice - you or your group (BG, alliance, galaxy, whatever) may have come up with a particular strategy based on race combinations. For example, round 14 I chose a xand-cath organisation for ND, which genuinely helped us and perfectly suited our style of play, allowing us to perform to a higher standard. Why should you not be rewarded for working out a good strategy?

There are also intrinsic issues with the stats: cath for example require you to have a good alliance and/or gal backup to do well value wise, whilst zikonian have a particular reputation for requiring higher standards of play. Why should new players have to struggle with races that don't suit their position?

The way it is now means that there is certainly a large onus on the statsmaker - people will look for any advantage they can get to unbalance the stats which means that making a set of stats is already a lot of pressure. I don't know whether I would have bothered with a set of stats if I'd known people would be forced to play a certain race and then it turned out to be shit.

Personally, I don't think that forcing certain people to go some races whilst others get their first choice is the right way to go about things. Planetarion should be about your own strategy rather than what the game shoehorns you in to IMO.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 16:11   #4
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I like this idea. Paid accounts get to choose their race after upgrade, unpaid accounts get a random race. Give unpaid accounts access to some more of the tech tree, and i guess all should be happy.
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 18:20   #5
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
thing is with race equalization it will be impossible; if you have equal amounts of each race, there will still be one "predominant" race which has a big stick, plus it would make Ziks much more powerful [not that thats a bad thing ]
Tell me why do you think that Zik's would be more powerful?
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 19:00   #6
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

*creates accounts until getting race of choice*
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2006, 06:25   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Terran race is by far the best race for new players to start with, due to their high armour and thus forgiving nature for mistakes. cf Xan who can and frequently do loose their entire fleet if they make a single mistake in a single battle, or Cath who receive huge amounts of incoming because roiding them is 'free'. loosing your fleet or getting even *more* amounts of incoming because you couldnt choose a sensible race for your ability is stupid.

I'm not a huge fan of this idea.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2006, 19:32   #8
Sagnigius

Sagnigius has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i dont support this idea as this round i started as a free and upgraded a week into, it would stop more people doing what i did, and ultimatly lose PA players. As i know last round if my race had been choosen for my i wouldnt have played therefor i wouldnt have got my mates in.
Sagnigius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2006, 23:53   #9
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
Actually, I like this idea. Paid accounts get to choose their race after upgrade, unpaid accounts get a random race. Give unpaid accounts access to some more of the tech tree, and i guess all should be happy.
So what happens to all the ships they had when they started if they choose to change race?

Would they be scrapped completely? given back the resources in part/full thus leaving them defenceless for at least 4 ticks.

Doubt it'll catch on :S
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote