User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 23 Jul 2007, 12:54   #1
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold
The Last great War?

when was the last time this game saw a real war?

atm it looks like jenova and ct fighting has dissolved into another boring, yet predictable, roid race to the finish (which is perhaps the single most shitty way to play the game)

do we look back to the eXilition vs 1up days or has there been wars in between that are worth noting?

(posting this in a hope to spice up this board a bit...as the level of interesting threads has dropped to near non existant)

Mek

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 13:06   #2
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: The Last great War?

I've obviously not been paying attention.

But if wars have died out; what do people think the reasons are and do they think it's a loss?

I'd expect it to make things more boring (since wars were always fun & rewarding, if exhausting and sometimes frustrating), and I would suggest one reason is the lack of truly dominant alliances. Both 1up and eXilition knew that as soon as they'd won a war, they could easily outscore any allies they had. Their opponents knew there was no victory without bringing down the 1up or eXilition. This ensured that anyone who wanted to win knew they had to war for it. Except for the r16 thing.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 13:43   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek

do we look back to the eXilition vs 1up days or has there been wars in between that are worth noting?
Yes. If and when we're looking at something of intense planet targetting and heavy pounding, we're going to have to wind back a few rounds. For now, any high commander would insist on their claims that they're currently or they did during a previous round fight a heavy war no lesser than the mentioned fights, and they'll probably resort to bringing you incoming counts or similar from their defence feeds. I'd expect at least Ct, Wolfpack, and Destiny to claim so. Whether or not "great wars" were fought by mentioned parties in the recent rounds remains for the readers' judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
But if wars have died out; what do people think the reasons are and do they think it's a loss?
Why wars have died out?

There's a plethora of speculations. The favourite three-way spectrum comes with the shorter round, the game mechanics, and the decline in activity of the playerbase. It's argued that, on a seven week round, one cannot afford to go into heavy targetting of their rivals, because of the short term losses. A heavy war for weeks (even two to three suffices today) is enough to cut your growth on more than a third of the round. Game mechanics make it unrewarding to fight any wars (in what comes to direct benefits), except during rounds when the XP formulae is forced to it (see round 19 and NewDawn). The indirect benefits (which are obviously unrelated to game mechanics as such) require time to harvest (see eXilition round 18 - one would hesitate to attack an eXilition planet solely because of the fear of being punished back), which isn't really available. Third, one could claim that the activity has dropped to a level where fighting such intense wars (now that we're all old and grey and no longer high school kids) isn't just possible by the amount of active hands. Perhaps it's a combination of these three.

Quote:
I'd expect it to make things more boring (since wars were always fun & rewarding, if exhausting and sometimes frustrating), and I would suggest one reason is the lack of truly dominant alliances.
This is a valid reason too, and has to do with the activity charts. While Red- will come to you and argue that nowadays with alliance limits and yada yada bla bla there is no dominant alliance because everyone is equally good, but we all know that's just a load of crap. There is no "dominant" alliances because there is no single entity able to harvest a concentration of excellent staff and players with activity and skill superioré.

Quote:
Both 1up and eXilition knew that as soon as they'd won a war, they could easily outscore any allies they had.
Anyone able to totally brush aside their #1 competitor can easily outscore other alliances, given time, assuming no large blocks arise. Nowadays, these blocks are just inexistant, too. It's today hard if not impossible to actually have several alliances planet target one alliance in a given period (the only group that has recently seriously succeeded at this could be the SEX-block of round 18). Mostly it's just "you hit this gal we hit that gal ok dudes".

Paging Red- to thread 194998.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:01   #4
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

kiez, thing is, it all depends on what you consider a war. Now what has happened in the last 2-3 rounds isn't neccesarily "must see tv" but if anyone thinks the alliances fighting for the #1 spot haven't been hitting each other non stop they really have no clue. We have banged it out this round vs jenova and vgn from the start.... it is a war, it's opponents niether side can just brush aside. It is war in every sense of what a war is. 2-3 alliances banging each other, duking it out night after night.... that ain't sunday school. You let up for one night you end up on the short side of it.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:03   #5
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek

atm it looks like jenova and ct fighting has dissolved into another boring, yet predictable, roid race to the finish (which is perhaps the single most shitty way to play the game)
Its not our fault that Jenova were low on roids and were too crap a target for a few nights... oh it is!! my bad :P
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:06   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
What the psychic said when you asked her how angryduck'd react
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
I'd expect at least Ct, Wolfpack, and Destiny to claim so. Whether or not "great wars" were fought by mentioned parties in the recent rounds remains for the readers' judgements.
DungryAck. Dude. You didn't have to.

ps.

Quote:
You let up for one night you end up on the short side of it.
Does this also mean, that if you let up planet targetting your enemy for one night you'll end up on the short side of it? If so, why isn't Jenova far enough on the short side? (And for the Jenova kids, don't feel a need to comment to me that you've planet targeted Ct consistently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The guy with the shitty signature
Its not our fault that Jenova were low on roids and were too crap a target for a few nights... oh it is!! my bad :P
This is exactly what makes the odds and outs of the "great wars". If you check the past records, what defines hard hitting has been the ability to pound an alliance down regardless of them falling low on roids.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:14   #7
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

kiez...considering your not involved in the current conflict, I'm not suprised you consult a psychic, as you clearly don't know shit... how's the view from the cheap seats? it's a nice "Rush Limbaugh" moment for you I'm sure...but like him... a lot of hot air, not much knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
Mek
considering you atleast started the round in Jenova, why don't you ask your HC. We're not racing to the end, we are attacking our opponents night after night. We're certainly not steering clear of them.

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 23 Jul 2007 at 14:22.
aNgRyDuCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:22   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The last great war that Planetarion has seen would probably be r15 with exilition, 1up and angels all fighting for most of the round before exilition pulled away and powered past ND. I don't personally believe that any of the conflicts we've seen since then have the quality or duration of the previous ones. I'd love to see every alliance in the top ten publish their def calls information and counts from the different alliances at the end of this round incidentally. I know that ct and jenova were very hostile towards each other for a long time but there are a lot of faggots out there who really are just scoreinatag and don't bother attacking where they should. And that's the point of it all really, tags aren't filled with people who are willing to fight wars.

Edit: As a matter of interest what would people expect from their members if they were running an alliance? I'm not talking quotas here but there are certain levels below which you're really not contributing at all. Also is it just my imagination or are even the base fleets launched stats declining?
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:22   #9
Tietäjä
Good Son

I was involved in the previous conflict (I think, actually I'm pretty sure I was, sort of, I believe) and you said the same stuff then (and the time before it), so I'm just making cheap judgement. It could be the situation has changed, though, but if so all the credibility of your statements is probably far gone. Chill, man.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:26   #10
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
I was involved in the previous conflict (I think, actually I'm pretty sure I was, sort of, I believe) and you said the same stuff then (and the time before it), so I'm just making cheap judgement. It could be the situation has changed, though, but if so all the credibility of your statements is probably far gone. Chill, man.
exactly, cheap judgement...it's tough to speak intelligently about something you have no real knowledge of, or are not involved in.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:28   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Is that a hint that you're actually speaking intelligently?

You should really focus on the topic at hands, DuCk.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:29   #12
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

jbg, only point I'm making concerning your comment is, we aren't figthing with enemies, to make it fun for everyone's viewing pleasure...we could honestly care less if others enjoy the fight from a spectators point of view...this isn't ESPN.

That's the BIG difference between now and the fights between 1up and EXI, they were very much more open and viewable by ppl not directly involved, and they generally involved more alliances atleast from a political point of view. Also, these are 7 week rounds.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:50   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
jbg, only point I'm making concerning your comment is, we aren't figthing with enemies, to make it fun for everyone's viewing pleasure...we could honestly care less if others enjoy the fight from a spectators point of view...this isn't ESPN.
I wasn't really judging your alliance as such. I do think that people who signup for an alliance and don't do all they can for it are faggots which is the only judgement I'd make. I'm just saying wars aren't as intense these days for a myriad of reasons. I don't think you're fighting a bad round, after all you're first and in a decent spot. It's just different.

Quote:
That's the BIG difference between now and the fights between 1up and EXI, they were very much more open and viewable by ppl not directly involved, and they generally involved more alliances atleast from a political point of view. Also, these are 7 week rounds.
There's a lot to it. Even the reintroduction of clusters and the associated 2 tick rise on round-trips means that your military efficiency is decreased. I still don't think these wars are of the same intensity, and no offence but given that I was actually looking at jenova's def stats and such for most of the round I think I know a fair bit. As I said though, I'd be really interested to see everyone's stats at the end of the round.

Don't worry though man we all have our bad days, after all just this morning I tried faking de as bs on someone without including a cr/bs class ship. I blame rushing to work
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:20   #14
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

if you want war bring back ships that target 3 classes and 3 roiding and defence ticks.
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:30   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

Frankly I doubt that'd help the overall game that much. Stagnation would probably set in a good deal faster with target all and 3 tick missions. I'd probably lengthen the round by a couple of weeks and alternate doing 9 and 11 week rounds or something, get rid of clusters and decrease ETAs and probably introduce a new scoring system for alliances.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:47   #16
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm with JBG on all the points here. What the current alliances are doing is their best to win within a limited tactical enviroment. It's a lot more cautious and less all-or-nothing than previous wars but the playing field is very different now. In this 7 week round, for example, if CT or Jenova were to resort to proper planet targeting with rolling, continuous waves until a victor emerged they would almost certainly end up too far behind ROCK (or someone) to catch up, regardless of the outcome. Most score gain happens at the end of a round, for obvious reasons and with shorter rounds there seems to simply not be enough time to risk running with all the eggs in one basket.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:49   #17
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
This morning?

Quote:
Are you saying that Jenova is forfeiting the war?

And, of course, PA has always been a roid race.

Quote:
Yes you would have to look back to the eXilition vs 1up days to find 2 alliances who were far enough from the pack that they basically only had to defeat each other to win the round and thus fought one big war all round.

In the last bunch of rounds we have seen either 1 alliance outplaying the others, or 3 or more alliances vying for first place. Why you would expect an exi 1up style war in a round that did not feature a similar alliance situation?

By the way, whenever eXilition had really cleaned out 1ups roids, they would hit other targets in order to get good landings. Lets not pretend 1up and eXilition didn't play to win the score ranking.

Quote:
(posting this in a hope to spice up this board a bit...as the level of interesting threads has dropped to near non existant)

Mek
Fair enough, but PA as designed right now is a score accumulation game. If you object to that you really should take it up with the game designers instead of complaining that people trying to win the game choose strategies most likely to help them win said score accumulation game.

It so happens that this round winning the score accumulation game does involve quite a bit of war and the top alliances have exchanged a lot of incoming, which is war under any rational definition.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:50   #18
[DDK]gm

This roid swapping is dull, it needs to be a lot easyer to catch and kill ships, for example putting ships in pl for 11 ticks just to avoid them getting killed. would get a lot more people quitting though.
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 16:01   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germania
In the last bunch of rounds we have seen either 1 alliance outplaying the others, or 3 or more alliances vying for first place. Why you would expect an exi 1up style war in a round that did not feature a similar alliance situation?
This is a fair enough point but to go back a bit r15 saw three alliances fighting each other for a long time with a far higher % of fleets landing on the other 2 alliances than you'd probably see this round. I'd agree with you that it's fairly disgusting that this is a score accumulation game instead of a war game. I'm sure we've all seen the hilarity that has been elviz's planet this round.

Edit: In another reasonably amusing turn of events my appallingly shit fake appears to have worked.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 23 Jul 2007 at 16:10.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 16:14   #20
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germania
but PA as designed right now is a score accumulation game. If you object to that you really should take it up with the game designers instead of complaining that people trying to win the game choose strategies most likely to help them win said score accumulation game.
QFT
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 16:45   #21
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

I got a bit triggered by JBG's post there. Lower ETA.
Suggested eta's regardless of shipclass:
Attackfleets eta 6
Noneally-defencefleets eta 6
Ally-defencefleets eta 5
Galaxy-defencefleets eta 4

More fleetaction, more landings, less support-planets, more importance of general activity in order to manage defence and more flexibility.

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 16:57   #22
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People should be able to sleep for 8 hours without the chance they get killed, so I would add 2 ticks to Chimpie's suggested etas.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 17:43   #23
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why some of you think Jenova/CT don't have great incentives to fight properly (especially if I borrow the defeatist mindset that seems to plague the game today). I can't really see why ROCK, TGV and VGN wouldn't though, particularly the latter two. You know, in the sense that, and i'm going by commentary here, Jenova/CT are slightly stronger galaxy raiders but have very little to offer in a military sense. They're only slightly ahead, why not have a go? Have your alliances no interest in winning?

As for what Duck's been saying.. I don't know just how inept your other sixty nine players are, but I find it unlikely that the best way of fighting Jenova would be anything like the reality you describe. There's countless benefits to fast, intense wars, and you're missing out and apparently overlooking all of them by fighting without real focus and intensity. If you think you're the stronger alliance, use your strength to your advantage. I'm sure you are claiming two or three more planets a night than Jenova are in reply.. but that's often not the best way to increase your chance of winning.

This is a very gutless display even in the context of this crappy game.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 18:02   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think it goes down to non-inspiring and non-inventive leadership teams, too.

The running of the bigger alliances is pretty much an HCing-by-numbers, with all the stuff already in place. None of the command teams around nowadays think particularly laterally or think of ways to cripple their opponents and give themselves the advantage.

Even just a solid week's worth of planet targetting against one alliance would knock them down considerably. Yet the HC in these so-called big alliances don't have the guts to ask their members to hit crappy targets, as theyr'e afraid people won't take the targets (which is probably true ).
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 18:03   #25
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Come back and show them how then bwtmc. Tactically CT at least have no reason to change the status quo since they will win as it stands. The onus is then transferred to Jenova, but to a far greater extent to the alliances you mentioned. But when have any of them ever risked it all for the ultimate prize?

Perhaps this is harsh, especially coming from people such as ourselves who have essentially retired because the activity demanded by the way we think the game should be played is too great. Or maybe to be more exact, no longer worth the effort.

Last edited by Achilles; 23 Jul 2007 at 18:08.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 18:07   #26
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Yet the HC in these so-called big alliances don't have the guts to ask their members to hit crappy targets, as theyr'e afraid people won't take the targets (which is probably true ).

if that is the truth they should step down and buy themselves a barbie playset.

in a well organised and controlled alliance the HC says and the peon does. this ofc means that you have to carefully select your recruits. noone needs ppl who don't follow orders as well as noone needs HCs who don't give out those orders.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:13   #27
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

bwtmc
What are you even talking about? Contrary to forum mythology CT has not primarily been doing gal attacks this round. I would go after the rest of your poor analysis, but it all kind of springs from your lack of real knowledge of the policies you so freely dismiss.

Tomkat
It is a non-inspiring game, something that was more than apparent during late rounds in 1up, where the mighty Sid himself couldn't inspire people to be more dedicated. It is one of the reasons 1up was disbanded. It is so obvious that every round the player base gets less and less motivated and this is by needs going to lead to less hardcore play and there is nothing whatsoever an alliance HC can do about that.

Almeida
Yah, every alliance that hasn't reached the levels of discipline seen in only a handful of alliances in the history of PA should just quit and be ashamed of themselves.

Meanwhile when 1up ran out of roids, exilition found other targets until 1up got roids again. I guess they were gutless too.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:53   #28
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Personally speaking, Orbit vs F-Crew is always a good bit of banter
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:54   #29
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Surely a quite close situation as the current one is somewhat exciting? Isnt it fun to see that atleast 6-7 alliances are able to win this round at the current moment? There is no clear winner yet, and the politcal moves people do now will settle the round maybe within the week. (Gotta love being interrupted while writing at work.)

Last edited by Kargool; 23 Jul 2007 at 20:07.
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:55   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Surely a quite close situation as the current one is somewhat exciting? Isnt it fun to see that atleast 6-7 alliances are able to win this round at the current moment? There is no clear winner yet, and the politcal moves people do now will settle the round maybe within th
Someone killed kargool mid-post \o/

Edit: I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:55   #31
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
It is so obvious that every round the player base gets less and less motivated and this is by needs going to lead to less hardcore play and there is nothing whatsoever an alliance HC can do about that.
I don't think it's at all helped by alliances having BCs who pre-claim targets, or who run battlegroups with the choicest pickings and then offer the rest to their alliance mates.

Right, elviz?!
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 20:38   #32
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I don't think it's at all helped by alliances having BCs who pre-claim targets, or who run battlegroups with the choicest pickings and then offer the rest to their alliance mates.

Right, elviz?!
You missed out ship farmer
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 20:52   #33
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek

Mek
man you must only be dc'ing the daytime when ct aint hitting you guys

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 21:01   #34
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd say Ascendancy carried out attacks last round that if they were going to be sustained instead of the pretty much straight forward bludgeonings that they ended up being, they would be classified as a proper war.

The problem is that the few alliances where people would take targets for the team aren't spectacular. As we said in r21, Orbit were the alliance who tested Ascendancy the most - because they took targets for the team and made themselves very difficult to defend against.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 21:07   #35
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
You missed out ship farmer
He ain't farming. He is just the only player who can be lucky enough to get more suiciders on him than all top 5 stealers from the previous 3 rounds combined
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 21:44   #36
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
He ain't farming. He is just the only player who can be lucky enough to get more suiciders on him than all top 5 stealers from the previous 3 rounds combined
but but but if he was ship farming the MH's would close him

oh wait this is planetarion

-Rommel
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:18   #37
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would like to remind Heartless and gzambo of mod gripe 16: accusations of cheating.

While I was prepared to entertain discussion of elviz's previous conduct as he is a proven and closed cheat, you'll need some proof to let these last 2 posts stay on the forum as you are clearly referring to his current conduct.

You've got 24 hours.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:19   #38
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I would say that round 19 had a war (or at least more action) than the last few rounds, but not a great one as such. Round 15 was very intense. Apart from that, there haven't been any wars that were fought in the same manner, for a long time. This doesn't mean no wars or anything, just wars that are fought in different ways.

Personally, I think shortage of dedicated and skilled staff, as well as the changes in game mechanics has more blame than anything else. There are simply not enough good officers and HC to go around for 2-3 alliances that will fight 'proper' wars. And let us not forget that this is a summer round, and a lot of people aren't playing, or are playing with less activity.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:34   #39
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
I would like to remind Heartless and gzambo of mod gripe 16: accusations of cheating.

While I was prepared to entertain discussion of elviz's previous conduct as he is a proven and closed cheat, you'll need some proof to let these last 2 posts stay on the forum as you are clearly referring to his current conduct.

You've got 24 hours.
i thought i was commenting on the ineptitude of the multihunters this rd but hey if you took it that way fair enough

have a look at your pm then decide yourself

-Rommel
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:45   #40
OneColourRed

OneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the rough

Not sure what the last great war was since i've not played for a while, but the last great war i was involved in was when HR and ND were at each others throats. Mainly because they were so evenly matched, cant recall another war with two such evenly matched opponents. Was a lot of fun.
OneColourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:47   #41
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

http://parser.lch-hq.org/index.php?s...27681185226810

parsed news scan on him (co-ords hidden as requested)
seems there does appear to be some dubious lands on him , but anyone with 6 amps can scan him themselves

-Rommel
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:52   #42
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
i thought i was commenting on the ineptitude of the multihunters this rd but hey if you took it that way fair enough

have a look at your pm then decide yourself
no, you were trolling, as was Heartless.. that is unless you can tie in how your comments had to do with "the last great war"

and as far as your parsed scan, 5 of the 8 have no stolen ships showing, that's extremely dubious, I stand corrected

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 23 Jul 2007 at 22:58.
aNgRyDuCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:58   #43
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
no, you were trolling, as was Heartless.. that is unless you can tie in how your comments had to do with "the last great war"
I have dealt with matter appropriately.

Please consult gripe 12.

Quote:
12) Using the strategy of claiming someone else is trolling in your posting. If you think a post is a troll, report it to a mod, rather than just extending a flamewar. If their views are inherently stupid, then you should find it fairly easy to counter them with some facts. This rule now applies to accusations on external sites, provided they are related to discussion on this forum.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 23:42   #44
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

What I'd like to know is why Remy took ships away from Elviz (essentially zeroed a combat that had already occurred) but didn't close him. If the guy wasn't cheating why were the ships taken, if he was why wasn't he closed? Frankly I neither know nor care if Elviz was cheating but I find it extraordinary that ships can be taken from planets on a whim. It's just stupid.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 00:03   #45
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

Quote:

and as far as your parsed scan, 5 of the 8 have no stolen ships showing, that's extremely dubious, I stand corrected
threads evolve
and i was commenting on the fleets that landed on him , not his attacks where ppl ran the ships

-Rommel
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 00:30   #46
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
What I'd like to know is why Remy took ships away from Elviz (essentially zeroed a combat that had already occurred) but didn't close him. If the guy wasn't cheating why were the ships taken, if he was why wasn't he closed? Frankly I neither know nor care if Elviz was cheating but I find it extraordinary that ships can be taken from planets on a whim. It's just stupid.
because the guy crashed on him to set him up maybe, so things were set back to what it was before the moron pulled that crap
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 00:37   #47
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

PA needs eXi back to liven up the game

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 03:10   #48
Exode
W00f w00f w00f

Exode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really nice

1st of all: Lol Mek... wtg on starting the most annoying thread in pa history... i cant believe the amount of silly/annoying posts i have seen so far (ty Jenova/CT).

2nd of all: you know when the last great war was... Imo (and this is not biased in any way ) the last great war was round 14 (?) when 1up, Nd and HR (Yes, HR) battled it out for #1.... Both nd and hr was seen as underdogs, and we both gave 1up a fight to the doorstep... now thats what i remember as a good fight...

Exode
Exode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 03:54   #49
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exode
1st of all: Lol Mek... wtg on starting the most annoying thread in pa history... i cant believe the amount of silly/annoying posts i have seen so far (ty Jenova/CT).

2nd of all: you know when the last great war was... Imo (and this is not biased in any way ) the last great war was round 14 (?) when 1up, Nd and HR (Yes, HR) battled it out for #1.... Both nd and hr was seen as underdogs, and we both gave 1up a fight to the doorstep... now thats what i remember as a good fight...
until 1up planted ND in 1 night of attacks, and umm, HR never challenged for #1
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 11:04   #50
Exode
W00f w00f w00f

Exode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really niceExode is just really nice

:P well, was still great fun AD

Exode
Exode is offline   Reply With Quote