User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:00   #1
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, another PDS thread [but with a difference]

So at the moment I'm getting huge incs and lost my fleet and I dont want to have to build ships and then face the consenquences of a big old battle and loosing them when I sleep; I'd rather keep my roids but be able to fight against the evil Astropods who are coming to my place.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you customizable PDS.

PDS could have 2 settings; defend vs all [acting as "normal" PDS] or defend vs Pods [thus protecting roids, as roids = prizes]. If/when PDS whores came back into the game then if they defended vs all then they would suffer [heavier?] roid losses, but defending vs Astropods means they'd only have there fleets to go one on one with the attacker.

This would attract both defensive game play [in terms of protecting lovely roids] as well as offensive game play [with a greater empahsis on being able to take out more ships?]

Its just a rough idea, no idea how it would be implemented / what formulae would be used, but feel free to discuss
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:02   #2
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of
Re: Yes, another PDS thread [but with a difference]

I wont discuss PDS ever ever ever again :P
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:04   #3
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

i personally like this idea but obviously it will be immedietly shot down due to having the word "pds" included :P

/me licks smudgiekins

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:05   #4
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

Frankly PDS confised me to much, its hard enough to get past the login questions when you can only see half of the question or you dont know what 3 heart 3 means. LET ALONE having to work out to build ships or PDS or what not.

But yeah brink it back allows me to mess up my account again

or not
aestuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:23   #5
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

i have no idea how it is to play with pds, this was before my time.

one question:
are the pds struktures? if they are, they are really hard to kill, and do nasty damage to the incoming fleets.
and with the sk are moved to a "non attacking ship class" they are easy to take out...
the rest will be done from the pds...
i dont like that...
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:25   #6
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

PDS are essentially floating turrets in space [if you've watched the last episode of series 7 of Deep Space 9, the turrets which are deployed around Cardassia Prime == PDS].

Maybe PDS == vs Pods AND SK's?
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 10:29   #7
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
PDS are essentially floating turrets in space [if you've watched the last episode of series 7 of Deep Space 9, the turrets which are deployed around Cardassia Prime == PDS]
but then we also have to introduce the founder as a 4th race and then the defiant shipclass to wipe out the pds :P
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 12:50   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
i personally like this idea but obviously it will be immedietly shot down due to having the word "pds" included :P

/me licks smudgiekins
Or it will be shot down because PDS is fundementally flawed as an idea and nothing smudge suggests actually deals with these flaws
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 13:01   #9
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Or it will be shot down because PDS is fundementally flawed as an idea and nothing smudge suggests actually deals with these flaws
that is of course the other reason

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 13:29   #10
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Wakey - to be honest the main flaw of PDS [Mass PDS'ing] is quite solveable; make them comparable to Xan ships [cheap and mass numbers needed] and give them an init which fires after zik stealers but before roid pods.
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 13:33   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You offer two types of PDS: anti-ship and anti-pod/sk. Delightful.

But why would you ever target anything but pods? People won't attack you if they can't get any roids, fleetcatches (which are rare) excluded.

The only possible result is stagnation due to over-defending and an inability to attack planets your own value.
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 13:57   #12
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Wakey - to be honest the main flaw of PDS [Mass PDS'ing] is quite solveable; make them comparable to Xan ships [cheap and mass numbers needed] and give them an init which fires after zik stealers but before roid pods.
Yes because there were a mass of PDS in the past, the game was littered with the buggers whom ruined the game for the masses.

Oh wait I got carried away there, there was actually very few PDS’s whores and most of the PDS whores were the people whom had the galaxy, the alliances and their own fleet to protect the PDS. The rest of the universe had a PDS that was a honeytrap feature. People built them thinking they were a great defence opportunity, in reality they were weak and not at all effective and would force you to take larger than necessary score losses. You ended up either having to let them get slaughtered or you had to leave the ships at base for a tough battle which if it wasn’t for the PDS wouldn’t be worth fighting ultimately reducing your fleet, pds, roids and score in one fell swoop.

So for the top 5% or so of players it made them significantly tougher to hit and put people off hitting them as they really were able to whore like mad while the other 95% were seeing resources go into a selfish form of ‘defence’ that actually provided very little defence as they didn’t have the resources at hand to protect it.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2006, 14:27   #13
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Pods shoot before zik stealers
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 07:49   #14
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

while i agree ships can be lost while you sleep, PDS can be lost even while you're awake, is that an improvement ?
Unread 25 Aug 2006, 14:47   #15
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

so basically when would they shoot? you fail to see that everyone would build the required amount every time they got incs to kill pods only thus = never capping roids
Unread 26 Aug 2006, 12:18   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
while i agree ships can be lost while you sleep, PDS can be lost even while you're awake, is that an improvement ?
I wholeheartedly agree with Makhil here. I'd give you rep for it, but apparently i have to spread it around more. Stop making good posts! .

Smudge: i dont think that PDS is the solution to your problem. As Wakey mentioned, the major negatives of PDS havent been addressed; namely it being bad. To be honest, i think what you might be looking for is something that you can protect your fleet with. An idea along the lines of your rank being used in a calculation to hold some of your fleet, eg if you are ranked 2000 of 3000 planets, you could Stash/Hide 2/3 of your fleet at home somewhere, and thus make it unassailable (but also unable to shoot) - that way, the worse ranked your planet is, the more fleet you are able to keep alive, thus reducing the impact of being attacked on the smallest players. Similarly top players who are presumably good, dont need the feature to the same degree and/or have more contacts to rely on other than hardened shelters (plus they have more ships ). An idea along those lines would have been better imo, than PDS with selectable targeting .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote