User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2004, 13:12   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Bittorrent

Being spoiled by Opera's fabulous tabbed browsing makes Bittorrent opening a new window for every fart really annoying.
How do I get them away? Isn't there a tabbed client for BT?

BTW, what happened to suprnova?
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:13   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Bittorrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
BTW, what happened to suprnova?
It was up last night, it ocassionally goes down for a few hours, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:19   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

get a decent BT client.
torrentstorm works for me.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:40   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Azureus is best imo

also i find that when supernova is down just clicking refresh a few times to find an active mirror works
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:45   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Azureus is tabbed, you can also download individual files from the torrent.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:53   #6
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

burst!
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:04   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Opera has warped your little mind! Repent! .. Repent now I say and embrace ye windowed technology!!!
Unread 23 May 2004, 18:27   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

So, after an afternoon of trying out bittorrent clients I landed at TorrentStorm.
Which is simple, yet shit because it renders me unable to play a game at any normal rate nor allows me to set a decent upload cap. I guess it isn't built for 30+ simultaneous downloads.
Bittornado and Burst (the one I downloaded) opens a new windows for every download too. I'm not particulary interested in 30 download windows.
And when I read that Azureus was java based I didn't even bother to try it out because I guessed the performance is even shitter than TorrentStorms.
I might just as well stick to E-mule.
Unread 23 May 2004, 18:29   #9
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

i think you should at least try Azureus - you may like it. afaik its a very popular client on the bittorrent scene
Unread 23 May 2004, 18:30   #10
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
So, after an afternoon of trying out bittorrent clients I landed at TorrentStorm.
Which is simple, yet shit because it renders me unable to play a game at any normal rate nor allows me to set a decent upload cap. I guess it isn't built for 30+ simultaneous downloads.
Bittornado and Burst (the one I downloaded) opens a new windows for every download too. I'm not particulary interested in 30 download windows.
And when I read that Azureus was java based I didn't even bother to try it out because I guessed the performance is even shitter than TorrentStorms.
I might just as well stick to E-mule.
you can hide the windows in burst right click on the b! and it has the show thingy.

as for the capping... use "netlimiter" it is actually very useful for capping individual programs
Unread 23 May 2004, 18:37   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Yeh, I used to have netlimiter (1.25), but ever since I reinstalled it it causes every networked program to crash on exit. So I took it away and everything is fine.

I'll see if Burst does any better performance wise. It's nice to know I can hide the windows.
Unread 23 May 2004, 18:44   #12
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

get linux-pc. set it up to handle your internet-connection. use it for bittorent etc.
thats what i do and all problems solved
Unread 23 May 2004, 19:26   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Yeh, I used to have netlimiter (1.25), but ever since I reinstalled it it causes every networked program to crash on exit. So I took it away and everything is fine.

I'll see if Burst does any better performance wise. It's nice to know I can hide the windows.
sorry dont use "show" in burst! unclick the tick. it will continue to download but without the dos interface

and as for netlimiter try 1.3
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:38   #14
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Why would you want to cap your upload?

I use Bit-tornado, and I can play games/photoshop/whatever i please, it's never crashed. And i have a shitty pc.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 13:18   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
Why would you want to cap your upload?
Because a maxed upload for your connection kills your download rate.
Unread 24 May 2004, 14:01   #16
Madina
TashTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Because a maxed upload for your connection kills your download rate.
i heard that if you set your upload to 80% your download speed wont be that badly affected - could be balls though
Unread 24 May 2004, 16:03   #17
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
yup yup!

P3 733Mhz here, I can have 10+ downloads at the same time, I pause them and play any game normally.
or you could use netlimiter to cap the upstream and downstream to any limit you want say (2k up 5k down - adjust per connection/needs) when you are playing games, so that your downloads arent stopped.
Unread 24 May 2004, 16:33   #18
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

oh god you're a counter strike fan :/
Unread 24 May 2004, 17:07   #19
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
shats what i thought
Unread 26 May 2004, 18:20   #20
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough

bittornado does it for me
Hey all you people btw making my quarterly post.
you should go to phoenix-torrents for your torrent needs its the best and im not just saying that cus im a supermod there
Unread 26 May 2004, 18:58   #21
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

I reccomend G3 as a bittorrent client

And netlimiter works fine for me
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2004, 19:27   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I tried netlimiter 1.30 and it too causes the error. It could be a conflict with all those other tools messing around with the network stack tho. I need to reinstall Windows someday.
Unread 26 May 2004, 20:01   #23
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Oh, BTW, I figured out downloading goes a tad faster if you don't have 30 simultaneous downloads. What a shit program this bittorrent is. If it wasn't the only place I could find my anime I'd have tossed it out of the WIndow.
Unread 26 May 2004, 20:35   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Oh, BTW, I figured out downloading goes a tad faster if you don't have 30 simultaneous downloads. What a shit program this bittorrent is. If it wasn't the only place I could find my anime I'd have tossed it out of the WIndow.
Welcome to the magic world of network usage.
Unread 26 May 2004, 21:54   #25
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
I wonder if the BT guy is now since he works at Valve.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2004, 23:28   #26
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Azureus is cool.
Bittorrent is not shit.
Trying to download 30 files on a standard cable line is daft (see techy explanation).

[techy explanation]
Your download performance will be shit if you try to download 30 things at once because your upload capacity is less than your download capacity, so you're trying to send so many ACK packets for all those incomming packets that your upload link maxes out, so the peers you're downloading from slow down thier transfers to you because they're having to wait a long time for ACKnowledgements of thier packets (this probably invokes TCP Congestion Avoidance mode which means the remote machine increases its timeout to you, lowers its MTU, and does nasty things with sliding windows and transmission queues that you don't want to know about) , so your limited upload capacity in turn limits your download capacity.
In short: stick to a couple of files.
Unread 26 May 2004, 23:59   #27
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

usually i download only one file at a a time on bittorent. and for what i download thats enough to get 50-60 kb
Unread 27 May 2004, 00:26   #28
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

some clients also only keep about a few ports open. So if you are downloading 30 simultaneous things yo might need to open a few more
Unread 27 May 2004, 07:14   #29
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Azureus is cool.
Bittorrent is not shit.
Trying to download 30 files on a standard cable line is daft (see techy explanation).

[techy explanation]
Your download performance will be shit if you try to download 30 things at once because your upload capacity is less than your download capacity, so you're trying to send so many ACK packets for all those incomming packets that your upload link maxes out, so the peers you're downloading from slow down thier transfers to you because they're having to wait a long time for ACKnowledgements of thier packets (this probably invokes TCP Congestion Avoidance mode which means the remote machine increases its timeout to you, lowers its MTU, and does nasty things with sliding windows and transmission queues that you don't want to know about) , so your limited upload capacity in turn limits your download capacity.
In short: stick to a couple of files.
I understand that, but I'm not having that problem with other P2P networks. E-mule/Kazaa work just fine with 30+ simultaneous downloads. BT seems to clog everything.
Unread 27 May 2004, 07:19   #30
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure that you're actually simultaneously downloading and not just queuing them up? I've been doing this for a long time, and 30 actual simultaneous downloads seems .... excessive.
Unread 27 May 2004, 07:39   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I understand that, but I'm not having that problem with other P2P networks. E-mule/Kazaa work just fine with 30+ simultaneous downloads. BT seems to clog everything.
That's because with E-Mule etc, you're not simultaneously uploading while downloading. Uploading 30 seperate things is a slightly different matter on most connections to purely downloading.

BT rocks, but it's not meant to be used in the same way as E-Mule & co. The most simultaneous downloads I do on the former is 3/4. When I'm getting 200kbyte/s (which is my connections maximum) why would I want to simultaneously do more?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2004, 08:07   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
E-mule/Kazaa work just fine with 30+ simultaneous downloads.
Ignoring all other factors, it's quite rare for 10 downloads to be downloading at the same time on Kazaa, let alone 30.