User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 09:44   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Creating a VCD

I am having trouble creating a VCD....

I have an AVI that only plays the sound and not the video, this has pissed me off no end

Now I know that I can download a file to fix this.
I got Xvid...

But I am somewhat concerned that when I burn it to a VCD the image won't be there

What is the score on this?

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 10:54   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If it plays fine in windows then when you burn it to the VCD it will work.
If it doesn't then it won't.

This is because when the file is converted to VCD format it uses whatever codecs are on your system to get the video and audio out, so if you're missing some then obviously there'll be problems.

Incidentally, you're aware an AVI can't go straight to VCD right? VCDs are in MPEG format. However, if you use Nero to burn the VCD you can just drag the AVI in and Nero will convert it for you.
BE WARNED: conversion (whether by Nero or by other means) of an AVI to MPEG takes quite a while. On my XP2000+ it takes about an hour to convert 2 hours of footage.

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 10:59   #3
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
So basically what you are saying is even now I have downloaded a codec to watch the video and it works, because it was not with the original movie it won't work when burning it to VCD?

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:04   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Not to mention that converting an xvid file will probally cause the file size to at least double and thus wont fit on your cd.

If your planning on converting the file I would suggest taking a look at vcdhelp.com to see how you would go about converting using something other than nero and then splitting the file into parts so you can span it over a few cd's

If you dont wish to have it on more than one cd you may want to check out the kvcd format. Most stand alone dvd players that have VCD playback will play these discs and you can fit a whole movie (and sometimes extras) in a quality higher than a normal vcd onto a single disc. For example to test my player I downloaded an Ice Age Kvcd, this had the movie, one of the special feature and the second audio track (directors commentary) all on a single disc. For more info check out http://www.kvcd.net/
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:26   #5
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey

If you dont wish to have it on more than one cd you may want to check out the kvcd format. Most stand alone dvd players that have VCD playback will play these discs and you can fit a whole movie (and sometimes extras) in a quality higher than a normal vcd onto a single disc. For example to test my player I downloaded an Ice Age Kvcd, this had the movie, one of the special feature and the second audio track (directors commentary) all on a single disc. For more info check out http://www.kvcd.net/
Looks far too beyond my league
Its all to confusing

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 1 Aug 2003, 16:08   #6
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
try and get urself a new codec pack k-lite has a good one on their page.

http://doa2.host.sk/
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 21:01   #7
Shaman

Shaman is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

^^ Great tool to figure out what codec you need if sound or picture is missing from avi ^^

Warning: avi -> mpg conversion in nero sucks, picture quality is terrible!! (Atleast in nero 5.x, i haven't tested Nero 6 yet)

I advice everyone to use something better when encoding to mpg..
/me points to http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

[edit] If possible, stay away from those codec packs...they just mess up you comp. (nimo is already a legend).
You actually need only these:
-Xvid
-Divx
-ac3 codec http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/
-mpeg2 codec http://dshow.narod.ru/video/mpeg2codec_installer.zip

With those 99% of movies work perfectly.
Also ffdshow something syou show check out.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/
[/edit]

Last edited by Shaman; 5 Aug 2003 at 21:09.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote