User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Apr 2003, 18:48   #1
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
help with a riddle

I grow in between the ocean and the land, I have leaves and can grow quite large, yet I do not grow in sand?

any ideas
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 18:52   #2
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
SEA WEED!!!!!!!11111
I was thinking that, but does Seaweed have leaves?
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 18:54   #3
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
SEA WEED!!!!!!!11111

seaweed doest grow on land and it doesnt grow large
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 19:24   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
A beach.... although I cannot place the "leaf" part...

- it grows due to the sea depositing sand
- it's in BETWEEN land and sea
- It's can be large
- It doesn't grow in sand
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 19:25   #5
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
A beach.... although I cannot place the "leaf" part...

- it grows due to the sea depositing sand
- it's in BETWEEN land and sea
- It's can be large
- It doesn't grow in sand
maybe the tideline... leaves (seaweed and the like) wash up on it...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 21:18   #6
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
The answer is "wave."

It grows in between the ocean and the land.

It leaves things behind.

It can grow quite large.

It does not grow in sand.

Voila. I lived by the ocean for a year and almost always spend my vacations by the ocean.
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 21:26   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
Voila. I lived by the ocean for a year and almost always spend my vacations by the ocean.
I also know what an ocean looks like, and that there are waves and beaches there and stuff. I've been there too.

But now it comes down to the interpretation of "leaves". "Things left behind" or "lateral structure attached to a stem".
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 21:48   #8
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
I also know what an ocean looks like, and that there are waves and beaches there and stuff. I've been there too.

But now it comes down to the interpretation of "leaves". "Things left behind" or "lateral structure attached to a stem".
Wave is the only correct answer. IMNVHO.

If it is a plant that grows there, has leaves, but does not grow in sand, it can only be a plant that grows only on the side of trees, on rocks or perhaps on the back of crabs. Most plants I have met are willing to grow in sand. I suspect there are perhaps some plants (with leaves) that only grow on the backs of crabs, but that does not fit very well with how riddles work.

If it was a "lateral structure attached to a stem," then the answer would be something like "philodropholous peridendrom" -- a plant that can only survive while growing from limestone that is on a coastline.

Riddles generally don't work like that.
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 23:08   #9
StaticX

StaticX is an unknown quantity at this point
Sea creature such as a turtle? Just to throw a different vantage point in there.
Barney is singing about, dancing away the blues, while a racially balanced group of mutant children twitch arrhythmically behind him. And you wonder why rock stars throw TV sets from hotel-room windows.
StaticX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 13:05   #10
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
Wave is the only correct answer. IMNVHO.
Quote:
I have leaves and can grow quite large
Based on the way this riddle is written you dont make sense.

It could be "beach" 'cos "Beech" is a kind of tree.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 14:13   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
seaweed has leaves. and it grows on rocks, not sand.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote