User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Mar 2003, 14:58   #1
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why?

Ok, as I was listening to the radio, I heard the JCA song "I begin to wonder". Only, it sounded wrong. Somehow, it wasn't the same. And then it dawned on me. This wasn't the same singer. Brightness Points +5. Apparently, Dannii Minogue has covered this song, which left me with the question of "Why?".

If you can't sing particularly well, why do you cover a song, so that everyone can hear you sing worse than the original singer? And if you decide to cover a song, why do you cover it in exactly the same way, so that the comparison with the original is even easier, and you sound even worse? And finally, if you decide not to care about all that, why the hell do you cover it like within a few months of the original song's release, so that everyone still knows that the original sounded better anyway?

I mean, what drives people like that? Do they just have a desperate need for embarassing themselves?
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 14:59   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
it sells no?
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 15:00   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Cover songs are (often) just crappy attempts to take songs, and make profits out of them.
There are very few good covers.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 15:01   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Don't they listen to their own songs and think: "Hey, this sounds way crappier than the original, it makes me sound like a 3rd-rate cheap artist who can't sing"?
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 15:05   #5
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Don't they listen to their own songs and think: "Hey, this sounds way crappier than the original, it makes me sound like a 3rd-rate cheap artist who can't sing"?
Not really. Also, its the managers/prodcuers that decide, not the artists. (At least, whit most artists)

There are bright spots in the world of covers. For instance, The Living End - Sunday, Bloody sunday is nice. Also, either RATM or Cypress Hill has covered How could i just Kill a Man, and both are good.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 15:23   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Plus Danni Minogue's version got to number 2 in the UK charts, so it wasn't such a bad idea after all.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 15:41   #7
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
everyone makes money*

*except those who don't make money
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 02:17   #8
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Also, either RATM or Cypress Hill has covered How could i just Kill a Man, and both are good.
RATM, from what little I can remember, the original version was by Cypress Hill.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 02:27   #9
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Cover songs are (often) just crappy attempts to take songs, and make profits out of them.
There are very few good covers.
'que the naming of every cover song we can think off'
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 05:58   #10
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
If someone gave you an insane amount of money to make a desperate attempt at singing a cover song, chances are you would do it.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:03   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crackmonkey
If someone gave you an insane amount of money to make a desperate attempt at singing a cover song, chances are you would do it.
the insane idea appeals to me somehow...............hmmm
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:05   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Cover versions are generally crap

Rule #1 about Cover versions :

DONT TOUCH THE CLASSICS

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:13   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
DONT TOUCH THE CLASSICS
I'd say "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is a classic, and it was at least covered succesfully twice.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:20   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
I'd say "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is a classic, and it was at least covered succesfully twice.
Anything covered with Axel Rose singing is not a success.

You miss my point. Covering a classic to me is like marrying your dead best friends widow. You just dont do it.

GnR are clearly capable of writing their own songs. Good songs. To them, covering a classic is easy.

Hell, any half-talented band could cover like, queen, or beatles - add a modern baseline, or a better drum solo et al to a song, and thus "make it better", but you ___just dont___.

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:21   #15
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Louise covered "Stuck in the Middle With You" with some serious style.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:25   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

GRWAAAAAAAAGH

Im so easy to troll about music

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:59   #17
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
smooth crimilal - alien ant farm was pretty good. but on the whole I agree. unless someone is actually going to do something with a song that is interesting and different* from the original, then it sahouldn't be done.

*this discounts Rap 'covers' all of which are crap.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 10:35   #18
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Tori Amos is awesome at doing covers
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 11:11   #19
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
Louise covered "Stuck in the Middle With You" with some serious style.
If "with some serious style" is your way of saying "seriously badly" then yes, you're right.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote