User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:40   #1
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Warning To Drivers (UK)

According to a retired Traffic Police Officer, the general forumla for calculating whether or not to issue a ticket to a speeding motorist used to be 10+1. For example, if the limit were 30, then you could generally do 41 before running the risk of being stopped.

Now apparently, the general forumla has changed to 10%+1. So, if the limit is 30, you can generally do 34 without risk, although my father-in-law actually got stopped for doing 31 in a 30 zone not so long ago.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:42   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My driving instructor told me that going anything around 10% above the limit would get me collared about 6 months ago.

Is this a new thing or what? Was he just making me nervous*

* I nearly killed us overtaking a bus. Amusing look on his face though.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:43   #3
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Re: Warning To Drivers (UK)

Quote:
Originally posted by sword
According to a retired Traffic Police Officer, the general forumla for calculating whether or not to issue a ticket to a speeding motorist used to be 10+1. For example, if the limit were 30, then you could generally do 41 before running the risk of being stopped.

Now apparently, the general forumla has changed to 10%+1. So, if the limit is 30, you can generally do 34 without risk, although my father-in-law actually got stopped for doing 31 in a 30 zone not so long ago.
1 mile over the speed limit bloody discraceful ur father should not have pressed on the accelerator to hard
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:45   #4
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
I think it is down to the fact that the local police authority can now keep the money raised through fines.

This web site is interesting
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:45   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I thought the traditional one was +10% + 3
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:47   #6
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Although I drive like a madman, I am perfectly in control

(ish)
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:47   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Its been 10% + 1 for quite along time. They cant go any lower than that due to the inherent inaccuracy of the speedos in your car.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 15:49   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I thought the traditional one was +10% + 3
I thought that too. And it gives 36 for 30mph, and 80 for 70mph, which seem much more sensible.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 16:02   #9
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
secondary warning.
i passed my driving test with one minor last thursday.

car purchase occurs this week or next.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 16:25   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Liverpool:

Me:

Insurance:

1990 Ford Fiesta:

£1850

Ah well, the impossible dream.

Edit:

It's bizarely gone up to £1950 in the past year.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 16:48   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Elephant just quoted me £3000.

Heh.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:30   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
insurance is scandalously high

Does it not piss anyone off we have to pay so much?

Im hopefully going to pass my test before easter.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:32   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
insurance is scandalously high

Does it not piss anyone off we have to pay so much?

Im hopefully going to pass my test before easter.
Actually, what annoys me most of all is that if I want to drive, I have to pass a test, but all the OAPs who started to drive before they were instituted have never taken one. Why should I have to prove I can drive safely when they don't?
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:33   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I think the biggest warning to drivers in this thread is that JBOY can drive.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:34   #15
sword

The AA wanted £1650 to insure a SAAB 93 Turbo Convertible, Direct Line wanted £960, but Sainsburys only wanted £600.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:35   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The only time I've ever been in a car that was stopped it was while we were on the motorway doing 80ish.

We sat there fully expecting a speeding ticket, and Mr. Policeman came to the window and informed us that our exaust pipe seemed to be loose and we should get it fixed as soon as possible.

What the...?
How much spare time do the motorway police have that they can use it staring at peoples exaust pipes for errant swingage?

:eek:
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:40   #17
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
tell your friend to keep his jeans up next time :eek:
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:52   #18
CoD
(.) (.)

CoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura about
Yeh i done work expericace in police and they said due to car speedometers being up to 10% out they allow over it and then the +1 or 3 is due to the "hair dryer" device that that take ure speed with.

But app. they have new laser "hair dryers" which are very accurate and so its just 10%
CoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 17:56   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Comedy 'shot in the face with lasers, not..." option
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 19:30   #20
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
The AA wanted £1650 to insure a SAAB 93 Turbo Convertible, Direct Line wanted £960, but Sainsburys only wanted £600.
Just tried Tesco.com, they quoted £1600 which is more reasonable.

Though rather annoyingly, if I were to insure a car up in Edinburgh it drops to around £6-800.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 19:41   #21
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Though rather annoyingly, if I were to insure a car up in Edinburgh it drops to around £6-800.
it was invasion of the welsh going to sainsburys today. be grateful
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 19:43   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
it was invasion of the welsh going to sainsburys today. be grateful
After Thursday's birthday-shopping-on-Prince's-street fiasco I just stayed indoors and hid from the Welsh.

It went well.
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:31   #23
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Actually, i think its a good thing if the ration drops. When we first have these stupid rules, why not follow them?
Also, i have certain tendencies to hate people who don't need a car, but only has it beacause its "trendy" or they just dont want to take the bus/train/subway.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 20:58   #24
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I got to 105mph 2 days ago on the interstate.

Considering the limit is 75, I'd say I was grossly in violation of a couple traffic laws.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 21:20   #25
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Those are your puney american miles, which I am lead to believe are shorter than UK miles (therefore you were going slower by our reckoning).

Unread 8 Mar 2003, 21:23   #26
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
At Uni my postcode is the 17th worst in the country, at home its the 19th

getting insurance for either uni or home is a bitch

so i take busses and trains

problem solved
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 21:24   #27
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
I got to 105mph 2 days ago on the interstate.

Considering the limit is 75, I'd say I was grossly in violation of a couple traffic laws.
ive done 110 on the M4

(note to everyone, port talbot eastbound, SLOW DOWN BITCH SLOW)
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 01:42   #28
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Aye prolly cause theyd be wantin u to help them with their home deliveries
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 01:47   #29
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I will continue to borrow my father's car until I die.

Matrim