User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 05:28   #51
woadiejones

is anyone still working on 2.8 here? i think it definitely has something to do with the ad....its highlighted...and has an extra * before and after the text part...plus the obvious "check it out if your stuck for ideas"
(your instead of youre..intentional?)
i thought maybe the numbers refered to letters in the ad, or the letters point to a letter near it in the ad or something...who knows, just throwing out ideas...
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 06:26   #52
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
A lot of people on other forums seem to think the answer has something to do with the ad. I'm not so sure..

I showed a printout to my parents, my dad said that something isn't right with all the numbers. My mother said that the letters is most likely an anagram.

Maybe this will help..

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 13:25   #53
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
A lot of people on other forums seem to think the answer has something to do with the ad. I'm not so sure..

I showed a printout to my parents, my dad said that something isn't right with all the numbers. My mother said that the letters is most likely an anagram.

Maybe this will help..
i'm suspicious of the ad too but no look so far
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 14:15   #54
FatboySliM

FatboySliM is an unknown quantity at this point
there is 4 * on other stages.. and the colours vary a lot as well, but the "check it out if your stuck for ideas" sticks out
FatboySliM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:13   #55
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
i'm suspicious of the ad too but no look so far
Also, the numbers appear to be those that form letters on a digital calculator when you turn it upside down, so that may be the answer. Unfortunately, I have no idea as to where my calculator is, and the Windows one is rather clunky to use properly.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:21   #56
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Also, the numbers appear to be those that form letters on a digital calculator when you turn it upside down, so that may be the answer.
oh ****

i tried just about everything but forgot bout that and we'd only just used it the question before
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 19:06   #57
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
If you start from the C of "cool", and then use the numbers as instructions (move x letters to the right, left for - numbers), the first few are all T. I lost count after about 5 numbers but it might lead somewhere...or maybe do the same including spaces while counting...or see what letter/word you finish on.
If anyone has free-time (I don't ), then feel free to try these
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 09:00   #58
Mirai

okay..

I took out all the *'s.
I wrote down the entire set of numbers. In digital text. I turned the paper upside down.

this is what I got:

ii-l-bzhezege-bl-Gzoh-oh-higgeezl-ii-si-b-l-geoh-ge-hgg-se-ze-b-l-ee-h-oi-gbzs-ehesi

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 09:20   #59
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

ii-l-bzhezege-bl-Gzoh-oh-higgeezl-ii-si-b-l-geoh-ge-hgg-se-ze-b-l-ee-h-oi-gbzs-ehesi
that is swahili for "what is the wing speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:05   #60
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
that is swahili for "what is the wing speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"
african or european?

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:07   #61
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
african or european?

um..... I dunno

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 02:29   #62
Mirai

is it possible that 'Or' is part of the riddle?

Unread 2 Apr 2003, 02:31   #63
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
definitely
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:50   #64
FatboySliM

Quote:
"Thank you for your comments about the site, it is nice to hear from people who aren't just complaining about spelling mistakes or being rude when they can't get the answer!

Unfortunately, this will probably add to your misery because it seems 2.8 is a missing link. We've had so many emails from people asking for hints and saying they can't get past it, so we are pretty sure it's broken. I am currently kicking the ass of the guys in charge to fix it, so it shouldn't be too long. Sorry for the delay, and good luck with the rest of it."
Seen that posted on a couple of the other forums trying to solve this.
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 00:15   #65
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by FatboySliM
Seen that posted on a couple of the other forums trying to solve this.
but we don't even have an answer yet, not even a wrong one

Unread 3 Apr 2003, 16:50   #66
5th Disciple

5th Disciple will become famous soon enough5th Disciple will become famous soon enough
any further progress on 2.8 yet?
5th Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 16:52   #67
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th Disciple
any further progress on 2.8 yet?
nope
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 17:59   #68
5th Disciple

5th Disciple will become famous soon enough5th Disciple will become famous soon enough
so 2.8 is unsolvable till the riddle master releases the revised version?

Last edited by 5th Disciple; 3 Apr 2003 at 18:08.
5th Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 22:22   #69
Ragnarak

This was posted on another forum:

Quote:
"Posted by AmyLauren on Saturday, April 5, 2003 at 03:46:23

We are using our heads just fine thank you (to the guy who posted earlier).We have decided to post here since this is where everyone comes looking for answers.

We would like to tell you something. This riddle (2.8) is not broken, it's just hard. It was merely the sheer volume of people stuck on it that made us query whether it might be broken. It's not!

Most of you are polite about this in your emails, but we are not going to reply to rude ones in future.

We can also tell you people have already passed 2.8, but perhaps they are the kind of people who don't feel the need to post every answer they get on a message board. Ultimately, only one person wins the pot so it's up to you what you do, though it perhaps begs the question: where's the challenge typing into Google? But it is completely up to you, there are no rules about where you obtain answers.

So, we hope this clears 2.8 up for you. We are genuinely grateful to everyone taking part in NR and those who keep coming back. Do enjoy the site and please remember, it is for fun first and foremost. So no more 'your-loyal-followers-will-desert-you-you-nasty-riddling-b*st*rd' threats, and we might update the News page in a couple of years

So thank you again for all your support and interest.

Have fun, and good luck.

AmyLauren (NR PR)"
so 2.8 is doable, we're just all too stupid
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 22:39   #70
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Heres an off the wall thought , which probably has no right whatsoever to work.

Draw a cross
Line is 0 in the centre , and -50 through to +50 left to right , and -50 to +50 top to bottom.

Ignore the *'s

See what it gives.

This may create complete gibberish ,but its what struck my mind based on Higher Mathematics lectures which i completely failed to read properly , and hence failed , about 11 years ago.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 22:41   #71
Mirai

Already tried that. It's pretty much just a zigzagging line. So I tried Z. No dice.

Unread 6 Apr 2003, 22:10   #72
Ragnarak

just wrote a massive explanation and got a server error

basically someone on another forum reckons they got "THE ANSWER TO THIS RIDDLE IS NOT HARD" by starting on the R and moving along the difference between the numbers

eg. -7 and -9 have a difference of 2 so move 2 places from R to I
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:34   #73
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
It sort of works but you have to cheat occasionally.

If the answer to this riddle is 'not hard' then it isn't 'simple', 'easy', 'basic','flaccid','weak', or any other antonym of 'hard' that I can come up with
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:36   #74
Ragnarak

gayle yeah

you have to cheat to get to it

did you by any chance keep a record of WHERE you had to cheat? that might be important or give the answer they want

i tried easy/soft/weak/etc too
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:46   #75
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
all I remember is 'RIDDLE NOR HC L'. It goes out of sync by one character in 'HARD'
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 01:35   #76
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Don't you realise using the differences between consecutive numbers as offsets is the same as using offsets into the string?
Here's the code I'm using (MzScheme) and the output. It's a bit off, the T in RITDLE is the same index as the T in THE, so I can't do much about it:
Code:
(define clue-1
  (string-append ; don't make PAF wrap :-)
   "15*34*3*-5*28*9*-10*-4*33*-7*-8*-36*12*-35*-6*64*-39*-40*36*-7*-9"
   "*-15*-11*-72*33*66*14*-40*2*9*-18*-36*32*34*28*-7*-11"))
; "TIPOLMNKL FHEG JACW TR ISDL PD" - we can't use this straight away
; "J GEHF LKNMLOPITDP LDSI RT WCA" - reverse and spin
(define clue-2 "__ EH_ __N_LO_IT__LDSI RT W_A_") ; fiddle a bit
(define numbers (map string->number (regexp-split "\\*" clue-1)))
(for-each (λ (c) (let ((index (modulo c (string-length clue-2))))
                   (printf "~a ~a~n"
                           (string-ref clue-2 index)
                           index)))
          numbers)
----
T 15
H 4
E 3
A 28
N 9
S 20
W 26
E 3
R 23
T 24
O 12
T 24
H 4
I 21
S 20
R 23
I 21
T 15
D 19
L 18
E 3
I 14
S 20
N 9
O 12
T 24
H 4
A 28
R 23
D 19

Last edited by queball; 7 Apr 2003 at 01:41.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 01:54   #77
one

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Don't you realise using the differences between consecutive numbers as offsets is the same as using offsets into the string?
Here's the code I'm using (MzScheme) and the output. It's a bit off, the T in RITDLE is the same index as the T in THE, so I can't do much about it:
Code:
(define clue-1
  (string-append ; don't make PAF wrap :-)
   "15*34*3*-5*28*9*-10*-4*33*-7*-8*-36*12*-35*-6*64*-39*-40*36*-7*-9"
   "*-15*-11*-72*33*66*14*-40*2*9*-18*-36*32*34*28*-7*-11"))
; "TIPOLMNKL FHEG JACW TR ISDL PD" - we can't use this straight away
; "J GEHF LKNMLOPITDP LDSI RT WCA" - reverse and spin
(define clue-2 "__ EH_ __N_LO_IT__LDSI RT W_A_") ; fiddle a bit
(define numbers (map string->number (regexp-split "\\*" clue-1)))
(for-each (λ (c) (let ((index (modulo c (string-length clue-2))))
                   (printf "~a ~a~n"
                           (string-ref clue-2 index)
                           index)))
          numbers)
----
T 15
H 4
E 3
A 28
N 9
S 20
W 26
E 3
R 23
T 24
O 12
T 24
H 4
I 21
S 20
R 23
I 21
T 15
D 19
L 18
E 3
I 14
S 20
N 9
O 12
T 24
H 4
A 28
R 23
D 19

Quey, can you explain the fiddling part?.....
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 02:15   #78
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by one
Quey, can you explain the fiddling part?.....
Well, the indeces are backwards and start at 15, which should explain reversing the string and rotating it a bit. I dunno why the fiddling is needed.
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 16:41   #79
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
has anybody tried putting"not hard" into the box?
obvious,but just incase.
EDit: too obvious
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 16:43   #80
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by clarencetheclockworkcake
has anybody tried putting"not hard" into the box?
obvious,but just incase.
Yes. Why not try it yourself?
Unread 7 Apr 2003, 18:20   #81
Anu
Kontrč*******

Anu is infamous around these parts
Numbers represented, and how many times:

Code:
__ __  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
                      ||   |||
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ 28 __
                        ||
40 __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
||

Unread 7 Apr 2003, 18:41   #82
Ragnarak

Quote:
"Hi,

Okay, from what I've seen on the forum none of you are going in the right direction. So that is my clue. Hope it's not too obscure,

Regards,

AmyLauren."
the net riddle people sent the above as a reply to someone asking for a hint, stolen from another forum

'not going in the right direction' might imply we go right to left instead

or are just on completely the wrong track
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 16:45   #83
FatboySliM

THE CNSWER TO THIS RIDDLE IS NPT HCRD

Well I know the site is hardly professional and a bit of an eye sore but personally I believe it was intentional to not spell out the words correctly...

so..

C P C

mean anything ??

also updated tip from the net riddle site..

Quote:
These tips are for really after you have worked out the code. Okay this riddle has proved very hard for the vast majority of you, well all of you but I have to give special mention to 'The Warriors' first to pass, an ICQ team of 6, 'Pilots' ICQ team of 5 and a forum team unknown name a team of god knows how many. Anyway here your tip is :

You will definitely need both a thesaurus and a dictionary to pass this riddle plus probably be a wizard with the google search engine.

Unread 9 Apr 2003, 18:58   #84
Anu
Kontrč*******

And I've been working with vigenčre cyphers. what a waste of time :/
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 21:30   #85
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
FAMOUS GRY RIDDLE

thats the answer
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 21:46   #86
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
FAMOUS GRY RIDDLE

thats the answer
Language? WTF are you on about?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 22:07   #87
Anu
Kontrč*******

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
FAMOUS GRY RIDDLE

thats the answer
huh? explain
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 22:20   #88
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
the -gry riddle is the one that goes like:

"3 words in the english language end on -gry. angry, hungry and..."

edit: i probably messed this up since there is in fact no 3rd word ending on -gry but the answer is in fact somewhere in the question
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 22:25   #89
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
in the answer box for 2.8 type in FAMOUS GRY RIDDLE and click continue cus thats the answer
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 22:29   #90
one

I shall explain seeing as someone has allready blurted out the answer.

Cast your mind back to riddle 1.22

In the riddle they make the spelling mistake in this passage:

Quote:
The much talked about GRY riddle! The riddle is said to have begun 20 years ago, there are multiple forms of it's telling, you must decide which is correct and just pop the correct answer in the box below, and yes there is an actual CORRECT answer don't just type in all possible ones, try getting the correct one first off, this riddle is npt hard, honest, but do plz a peak at the ad above while your at it
The title of riddle 1.22 is 'famous gry riddle'
and of course, the answer to this riddle is npt hard - not the answer to riddle 2.8...
Unread 9 Apr 2003, 22:38   #91
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

The * Children are completely not left handed

*Opposite of what happens after lunch

*A spider is famous for having more two

*Crucial for making some boats move

*Makes lights light up

*A mixed up boy called Si

*Start of an ancient civilization in Mexico

*Makes many of the things crucial for getting through walls work

any one fancy givin some answers
Gayle u there maybe u can help
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 20:46   #92
Ragnarak

erm maybe i'm being thick but what was the answer to 2.9?

oh and anyone fancy trying these on irc in #riddle again?
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 20:54   #93
Ragnarak

i was being stupid, got it now