User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:48   #1
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
War coverage and perspective from Al-Jazeera

I've just seen a site with stills and video taken from Al-Jazeera's coverage of the war.

Al-Jazeera are showing pictures of civilians and soldiers, both Iraqi and Allied, killed in action.
I'm not talking about muddled pictures taken from a distance, but up close and graphic pictures of people killed by shrapnel injuries.
Quite shocking really, and a sick perspective to take.
I can only assume these pictures are to deliberately shock Arab opinion.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:51   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
if it makes people realize that war isnt a video game i can only appreciate it.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:53   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
They should have shown pictures of flowers and kittens instead.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:56   #4
Woof
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
They should have shown pictures of flowers and kittens instead.
But there is war coverage like BBC/ITN/SKY and there is coverage from Al-Jazeera.

I'm talking about footage of a young civillian teenager with half his skull missing, which fills the entire frame of the picture.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:56   #5
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
"How can you shoot women and children?"
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:59   #6
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
[Even as a joke...don't do it. -SS]

Last edited by Sandsnake; 26 Mar 2003 at 20:11.
Bloomers III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:59   #7
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ditcher
"How can you shoot women and children?"
[crap joke ahoy]

with a camera

[/crap joke ahoy]
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:59   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
I'm talking about footage of a young civillian teenager with half his skull missing, which fills the entire frame of the picture.
If they dont show it on TV it will stop happening. Everyone knows that people dont really die in war, its probably just faggot liberal hippy propoganda.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:00   #9
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Re: War coverage and perspective from Al-Jazeera

Quote:
I've just seen a site with stills and video taken from Al-Jazeera's coverage of the war.

Al-Jazeera are showing pictures of civilians and soldiers, both Iraqi and Allied, killed in action.
I'm not talking about muddled pictures taken from a distance, but up close and graphic pictures of people killed by shrapnel injuries.
Quite shocking really, and a sick perspective to take.
I can only assume these pictures are to deliberately shock Arab opinion.

url please
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:01   #10
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
and i used to be able to get Al-Jazeera on sky digital

now i can't why??
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:02   #11
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam

now i can't why??
that dish got destroyed
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:02   #12
Woof
Banned

Re: Re: War coverage and perspective from Al-Jazeera

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
url please
I'd be insta-banned, it's a bit of a dodgy site.
See PM.

Last edited by Woof; 26 Mar 2003 at 20:08.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:22   #13
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The channel should be back up now... thats what the media over here are saying at least. Don't they have a homepage, too? Searching on google gives me www.aljazeera.net and www.al-jazeera.com/
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:19   #14
Emperorn
Ruler

Emperorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
But there is war coverage like BBC/ITN/SKY and there is coverage from Al-Jazeera.

Umm, that's what happens when you go to war, it is not a picnic.

American and British media are showing the war from the perspective of the attacker, Al-Jazeera from the perspective of the attacked. To get an objective picture of what is going on you should watch both. The war looks different depending on which end of the the gun barrel you are.

- George Bush Sr
Emperorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:48   #15
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
CNN showed american bodies being dragged through the streets in somalia.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:08   #16
storeslem
magister

storeslem is an unknown quantity at this point
these pictures are nothing like it.
r2: 21:23:10 BrainDrain of Idealia
r3: 36:5:1 Efreet of Azur
r4: 6:5:12 StoreSlem of Idealia
r5: 19:19:21 BrainDrain of Eudamonia
r6: 22:17:x x of x (cant remember, magister tho)
r7: 22:23:x x of x (dont do drugs kids)
r9: 39:8:3 StoreSlem of Idealia

"Meningen med livet er å gjøre livet verdt å leve"
-Sigurdnw
storeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 00:15   #17
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam

now i can't why??
You have to pay for it I think.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 00:36   #18
Scouser

I don't know anyone who does think that its a video game, i don't think the thousands who are demonstrating against it think that either, nor (i would imagine) the majority of those 'for' war.
I don't need a guy with half his skull missing shown on the news for me to appreciate that war is not a good thing for civilians in that town/city. Its called taste and theres also the kiddies to think about..
other perspective is gud tho, me is off to search for that site..
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 00:44   #20
Nodrog

media dissent will not be tolerated
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 01:49   #21
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
And as for the NYSE decision, fcking shocking, thats censorship that is.
It's unfortunate, but the NYSE is a private organization and, as such, they have every right to act stupidly.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 01:59   #22
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
It's unfortunate, but the NYSE is a private organization and, as such, they have every right to act stupidly.
What level of government funding/protection do they receive?
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 06:58   #23
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
What level of government funding/protection do they receive?
From the Federal government--probably very little; and if you subtract the cost of complying with SEC regulations it's probably a net loss. However, since they're a not-for-profit corporation and all their competitors had to comply with the same regulations, nobody cared; but now competition from electronic trading systems, which don't have as near as many regulations, has really cut into their business. In the internet age, a physical stock exchange is an expensive anachronism. The NYSE has basically outlived its usefullness and symbolic gestures like revoking Al-Jazeera's press credentials are about the only cards they have left to play.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 10:04   #24
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Very interesting article from Arab News contrasting CNN and Al Jazeera.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:02   #25
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
Very interesting article from Arab News contrasting CNN and Al Jazeera.
Thanks, interesting article indeed.

I'd reciprocate with a very interesting 'diary' about public opinion kept by a female reporter in Jordan, but it's in Dutch :/

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:19   #26
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
www.dear_raed.blogspot.com

A diary of an Iraqi living in Baghdad.
Has been going for 6 months apparently...

EDIT - Explanation of the diary.
EDIT2 - decided it was too important to be lost in this thread so made another...

Last edited by Ste; 27 Mar 2003 at 11:35.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:34   #27
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
www.dear_raed.blogspot.com

A diary of an Iraqi living in Baghdad.
Has been going for 6 months apparently...

EDIT - Explanation of the diary.
Thank you for that top quality link
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:46   #28
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
Thank you for that top quality link
I need not say more.