User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:39   #1
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Bugger

Why is it when you need your PC the most, it buggers up?

I keep getting a 'Data error reading drive C: Abort, retry, fail?' message whenever I boot it up.

I know nothing of computers besides knowing what a mouse does, so I need some help here.

Any ideas?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:41   #2
RiCo

Format, put system on it.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:41   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Try boot with a disk?

Format and Reinstall?

Boot from Bios?

I have no clue.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:43   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
Try boot with a disk?

Format and Reinstall?

Boot from Bios?
Quote:
Originally posted by RiCo
Format, put system on it.
I know what all of those words mean seperately, but when you put them all together, I get a bit lost.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:45   #5
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road
you could make a boot disc.
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
HE IS THE BEST FRIEND ANYBODY COULD WISH FOR!
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:45   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Golin
you could make a boot disc.
And that is?
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:48   #7
Golin
Retard

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
And that is?

3,5 disc who will probably get you in to your OS, where you might be able to solve the prob.

might be that you have to make this disc on another comp tho
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:49   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
might be that you have to make this disc on another comp tho
How? Don't assume anything. I am positively radiant with ignorance on this subject.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:51   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Mage
have you tried kicking it?
First thing I did.

I got a bit lost in the 'solutions' department after that.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:51   #10
Golin
Retard

Quote:
How? Don't assume anything. I am positively radiant with ignorance on this subject.
m8.
go to see a buddy to know comps better than you.
easiest way to solve this.
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:52   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
If you have access to a computer with the same OS as yours you can make a boot disk.

The only way I know how to make a boot disk (I'm pretty software illiterate too) is to get the original installation CD and insert it into a working PC. There you will find an option to create a boot disk.

You can probably also find the software to create a boot disk from the Microsoft Windows website. That's how I created my Windows XP boot disk.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:53   #12
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Format a disk, preferably in a Dos-promt of a computer (not yours at the moment, obviously).

Ask some wisearse IT´er fix you a proper autoexec.bat and config.sys that'll boot your computer to the spoken OS-promt instead of Windows.

Run scandisk. Fix problems if possible.

Backup important things.

Format if necessary.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:54   #13
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
if you got your PC from PC World or similar, it should hve backup disks or a "recovery CD"

Put that in, follow instructions, if it comes up with anything about not finding a hard drive or "corrupted sectors" or similar, then you have got yourself a new hard disk shaped book end
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:55   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
it means your hard drive has become corrupt

it's very unlikely you'll be able to get your data back but try to find an pc technician and ask him if he can try to restore it

what I did to my hdd 2 years ago - I got my data back - only bits of it tho - he saved 2 partitions :\
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:58   #15
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Troubleshooting over the net is hard. Best bet is to get a friend to ix it for you. Failing that...

Find a windows CD with the wondows you are running/want to run on it.
Find/make a boot disc, any Windows is probably fine
Insert the boot disc and CD into the comp
Tell the computer to boot from CD and disc (probably does this automatically though, otherwise just change it in BIOS)
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 12:59   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Consideing I don't have the original disks and all that on me, this is looking distinctly pantsy.

This has, incidentally, happened to me many times before on this HD, and then I had to format the thing for want of some other solution. Losing all your stuff is a bit shiet, though.

I believe this particular computer has a big grudge against me.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:01   #17
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
if its happened to you before then your hard drive is corrupt, formatting it will work, as will reinstalling, but you will incounter this problem in the future.

New HDD for you i think
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:02   #18
Bunga
I'm not a poet

You don't need the original stuff. Just "borrow" it from someone. Or download it (only as a backup of course you shouldn't do anything illegal). Or buy againit, if you have to.

But any Windows CD with the OS you want is fine. As long as you have a valid serial for it.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:02   #19
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

all u need
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:03   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

I don't really have the time, the patience or the money for all this bollocks.

I hate everything.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:04   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

all u need
Ah. This looks like a good solution for ignorant, lazy people.

I'll try that.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:04   #22
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't really have the time, the patience or the money for all this bollocks.

I hate everything.
ignorance is bliss look at my post above your last post
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:06   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Mage
No-one has clamied to have 'hacked' it yet. I am impressed.
It would be an impressive boast, considering it isn't connected to the net or anything.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:16   #24
Bunga
I'm not a poet

If you must know, I asked your sister to hook up a radio reciever and hacked it via that.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:18   #25
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
If you must know, I asked your sister to hook up a radio reciever and hacked it via that.
I don't have a sister, so that's even more impressive.

"My computer was hacked by my long-lost sister I never knew I had."
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 13:19   #26
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Ah well you know how good they are at cloning these days.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:14   #27
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Thanks for the help, anyway. I've 'progressed' with the problem, although not fully solved it yet.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:25   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Take it to PC World and let them fk it up, unless you store you Gary Glitter-style pictures on it, in which case this may not be the best option....

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 18:33   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
m8.
go to see a buddy to know comps better than you.
easiest way to solve this.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 19:22   #30
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
unless you store you Gary Glitter-style pictures on it, in which case this may not be the best option....
That may be applicable to you, but it isn't to me.

Tbh, This one has been giving me persistent trouble ever since I bought it. It has been the Nick Cotton of PC's. I intend to just let the ****er rust until I start my job in september, and then get a new one. It's primarily a games machine, and I can still do my work and get internet access from The University's machines.

The moral of this story is: Never buy from a PC from Tiny.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 19:50   #31
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You've used a computer for more than 2 years and don't know what you're doing? You must really be thick, thicko.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 19:54   #32
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Sub
You've used a computer for more than 2 years and don't know what you're doing? You must really be thick, thicko.
I know a lot of things, but when the a comp seriously ****s it's pants, I find myself in difficulty, as I don't have a degree in electrical engineering.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 19:56   #33
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Useless lesser-spotted-Gerbil
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 19:57   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
Useless lesser-spotted-Gerbil
Don't be rude to Mark.
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 01:02   #35
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
[x] Hit it
[ ] Run aweh
Unread 22 Feb 2003, 15:26   #36
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
The moral of this story is: Never buy from a PC from Tiny.
that's like telling people not to jump off cliffs.